Where do I really stack for expatriate or US majors?

senji

I'm currently in the beginning stages of flight training and for a few years now, I've been just thinking about the possibilities of a career change into flying for an airline. I feel my chances are a bit slim which is really making me consider other aviation jobs, but I really have a burning desire to know if I really have a chance at my original desire- the airlines.

-I'm 34.
-I'm free to move about the world in search of a job. If I could choose, obviously US, but Id love Asia.
-Now the downer. I'm short 10 credits of a BFA degree. I worked my butt off in my current career and have an extensive resume in 3D CAD, animation and technical directing in film visual effects, tv and gaming.

The real kicker I think is the fact that I have a partial degree, but not the full deal. I have a feeling I may as well be seen the same as someone with no degree at all.

I kind of kick myself for not getting those last 10 credits, which I've passed the window for completion by now. (that was 11 years ago!)

I still have my eyes set for weekend CFI or possibly corporate if its possible to find anything.

So my question to those in the know, are all my chances lost for the majors?

Thanks a ton..

I'm currently in the beginning stages of flight training and for a few years now, I've been just thinking about the possibilities of a career change into flying for an airline. I feel my chances are a bit slim which is really making me consider other aviation jobs, but I really have a burning desire to know if I really have a chance at my original desire- the airlines.

-I'm 34.
-I'm free to move about the world in search of a job. If I could choose, obviously US, but Id love Asia.
-Now the downer. I'm short 10 credits of a BFA degree. I worked my butt off in my current career and have an extensive resume in 3D CAD, animation and technical directing in film visual effects, tv and gaming.

The real kicker I think is the fact that I have a partial degree, but not the full deal. I have a feeling I may as well be seen the same as someone with no degree at all.

I kind of kick myself for not getting those last 10 credits, which I've passed the window for completion by now. (that was 11 years ago!)

I still have my eyes set for weekend CFI or possibly corporate if its possible to find anything.

So my question to those in the know, are all my chances lost for the majors?

Thanks a ton..

I don't think you necessarily too old for the majors, but you would have to get humping now and get to a regional pronto. I know zero about Asia flying, maybe someone else can chime in. As far as the degree, yeah if it is not 4 yr then it won't work for the majors in the US. I do believe they all require it...and if they don't, I'm assuming you won't get hired without it. Kind of like PIC time...some don't require it (Delta) but at the moment you won't get hired without it. Great thing about this day and age is you can do stuff online. It's great for pilots because we have so much down time in hotels. I think you could finish your degree by the time you get your pic time too. Good luck

Thanks. I think my problem is how to afford school, let alone cost of living at a regional. Being unmarried with retired parents is a bit difficult. I can keep working what I do now and be a CFI and try and get a degree, but I think I'll probably be 40 by then?? Again probably not a limitation in the world of aviation, but probably so for the majors I think.

But I'd still like to hear from people who have experience flying the worlds' major and their requirements. I'm American of Malaysian origin, so who knows it could be an advantage over there and surrounding?

Last edited:
Expat would work for you. I know at my place the degree isn't required and that's why we get so many furloughed Capts from the states here. Once you get your foot in the door in the expat environment the whole world can open up to you. Its not for everyone and I know only friends that have experience in Asia but its certainly possible for you.

but I think I'll probably be 40 by then?? Again probably not a limitation in the world of aviation, but probably so for the majors I think.

Don't sweat the age. There are a lot of military guys like me who will be newhires at the majors in their early 40s.

Plus, you really have no idea what the hiring picture is going to look like in a couple years. There may end up being some relatively rapid progression in the latter part of this decade.

If you've got a foreign passport and/or are fluent in a foreign language, I would be looking hard at the flag airlines of that country. The barriers to entry are almost always much lower elsewhere than in the US. Highly recommend you check out pprune.org

Good luck!

I don't think you necessarily too old for the majors, but you would have to get humping now and get to a regional pronto. I know zero about Asia flying, maybe someone else can chime in. As far as the degree, yeah if it is not 4 yr then it won't work for the majors in the US. I do believe they all require it...and if they don't, I'm assuming you won't get hired without it. Kind of like PIC time...some don't require it (Delta) but at the moment you won't get hired without it. Great thing about this day and age is you can do stuff online. It's great for pilots because we have so much down time in hotels. I think you could finish your degree by the time you get your pic time too. Good luck

For majors, the degree is required for sure right now. The TPIC? That does not seem to be the case. Numerous people have been hired at United and USAirways lately with 0 TPIC.

If you can claim Malaysian citizenship, that would help for, say, Malaysian or Singapore Airlines. But their ab initio training programs may have age limits and are very competitive. More likely, you would need some Part 135/regional/corporate experience, and then your citizenship would help for applying as a line pilot with those carriers.

Being single definitely helps for mobility, but if your parents' retirement plan was you, and you have no other siblings who can take up the slack, then it gets rough.

Whatever you do, don't borrow a huge sum of money for flight training. Either save up what you need, then go it hard core full time, or go for a full time CFI position at a local flight school where you can still live with the parental units and perhaps still work part time in your previous field. That would seem to be a balanced approach between progressing towards your goal as well as fulfilling any filial responsibilities.

But before that- at least get your private and instrument to make sure it's what you really want to do and that you have the aptitude for it.

Disagree. Single means single income but paying for 100% of living costs in addition to maintaining a household with no shared help.
Sounds like you're single, or at least not married.

Or have one of those wives with a full time job...

Back