what am i getting myself into

vcpilot7979

i recently found out how attainable it is to get my dispatcher's license and it seems like something i would enjoy doing. since i live in southern california, it seems that the closest dispatcher training program is Flight Control Academy in Tuscon. Has anyone had any experience with them? also, i wanted to find out what life as a dispatcher would be like. What kind of hours am i looking to work? any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have any experience with the school, but can tell you a little bit about the life. Once you receive your dispatch ticket you will be marketable to regional airlines and possibly some 135 fractionals. Pay at most regionals starts at upper 20's to low 30's and fractionals typically start mid 30's. Like all jobs in aviation, the position is seniority based and this is how your schedule will be determined. Every company is different, but to start I would expect to work a lot of weekends and holidays. Most dispatch offices are open 24 hours a day, so understand that you may work the overnight shift as well. The job itself is interesting and fun, every day is different, some days better then others.

Hello VCPilot:

I completed the dispatcher program at Flight Control Academy.

The School in Tucson is very small and the classes are normally small. The owners prefer to have it that way and the instructors and training is excellent.

You will have a real good idea what the job is all about when you leave there and I personally had a good time attending the course.

Good Luck

how long ago did you attend? were you able to find a job right away? or did you have to go through more training? was there anything you didn't like about the course? thanks for the info

I completed the course back in 2006. An airline that I was working for paid for the training and hotel.
The dispatcher certification course is only required to obtain the certificate. Once you are hired by an airline they have to put you in their FAA approved aircraft dispatcher initial training program (normally about 2-3 weeks).
The majority of the course is learning about how to read weather metars/TAF's and the Federal Regulations.
The only thing that I did not like about the course was studying to take the computer exam (ADX) test. They tell you which questions to study then they send you to a CATS testing facility to take the test. A lot of the information in that book has nothing to do with actual dispatching.
It is more for pilots and you do not need to be a pilot to take this course.
The actual classroom discussions and flight planning was very interesting.
More like what dispatchers actually do in their jobs.

Back