Wanna fly low and slow?

agcatman

Howdy all. Long time no post. But I lurk.

I'm probably going to regret this, but......
smile.gif

Since I started my business a little over nine years ago, I've either bought out or taken over seven other businesses. About five years ago I bought out a business about twenty miles west of me. The business had some rather lucrative contracts but to acquire them I had to buy the operator's airplane also. It was a 1969 A model Grumman Ag-Cat which was mechanically sound but wasn't much to look at (putting it rather kindly!) and since he was using the contracts as the carrot to sell the plane I paid way too much for it. The airplane was powered by a 450 horse Pratt & Whitney radial engine and really was of no use to me. It simply did not have the capacity or the speed that I need in my business. So, I took it to Mid-Continent Aircraft Corp. in Hayti, MO to sell. It languished there for about a year and a half with its most productive work being as a home for bird nests.

I got kinda sick every time I went to Mid-Continent and saw my plane rotting away on the ramp. Because of the aesthetics of the plane the few interested buyers were completely turned off and I knew I had to do something. So I bit the bullet and talked to some guys I know with an ag airplane shop in Malden, MO about rebuilding it. We agreed upon a price and timeline and I had a pilot ferry the aircraft there to begin work.

Fast forward two years (over a year past the completion deadline and over twenty grand outta my pocket over the written estimate none the less!) and I FINALLY took possession of my "new" plane (last Wednesday as a matter of fact). I'm not nearly as mad at them as I was because, even though they took forever and got WAY deep into my pocket, they did a beautiful job.

But the best part is what I had them do in addition to the rebuild. Lots of people see crop dusters working but few people have ever had the opportunity to experience it for themselves. So I had the shop fabricate a quick attach seat which is mounted in the hopper and complimented by a Lexan windscreen. I figured that the best position for the plane in my company would be as a flying advertisement.

The seat is great. It's quite comfortable and accompanied by a four-point harness so no, no one is going to fall out. I've already given a few rides and those people loved it. And I'm making the same offer to my customers to aerially scout their crops.

But here's the deal. It's a Restricted category aircraft and I can't take passengers.....unless, of course, it's a training flight. So any of you guys who have AT LEAST a Private and would like to experience crop dusting are invited to, work and mechanics allowing, come take an "Introduction to Crop Dusting" flight with me. Bring your log so I can sign it as such too. Granted, my turbine Thrush has over five hundred more ponies and flies about sixty MPH faster than the Cat. But the Cat can still get down and dirty and can come about as fast as any airplane ever built ('specially when I'm flying it).
grin.gif

So come on and take a ride with me. Cost? We'll talk about it. But I can pretty much assure you that any of you can afford it.
wink.gif

Unless, of course, you're scared.
shocked.gif

So give me a call. I'm in Charleston, MO. Austin Ag Aviation. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Here are some before and after pics:

p3240005.jpg

p3240011.jpg

p5050150.jpg

(Yeah, that's me.)

p5050153.jpg

Fly safe!

Stephen Austin
Austin Ag Aviation
Charleston, Missouri

Quick question for you. I saw that you have GPS installed in there? Do you really get that precise or is it mostly done with visual cues?

Just asking questions.

And if I get out there, hell yeah, sign me up!

Agcatman,

PM me with more information. I'm in St. Louis and would love to take the intro to cropdusting flight.

agcatman:

Same for me. I'm in Kansas City so it takes a bit more of a concerted effort to get down that way, but with summer on our doorstep I just might be able to find excuse enough to do that and hit Lambert's.
wink.gif

Sarah

WOW.. they did a great job!! wish I could take a ride.. but alas, I'd just be a lowly pax which goes against the rules!
insane.gif

Congrats on getting her finished!
bandit.gif

Sarah

Let's figure out a time when both of us can do it, get anyone else that can and make it a mini meet and greet and Lambert's

SUSPilot - yeah, I'd be interested in that. Who else from MO/IL/AR/TN/KY, that kind of area???

Ag,

You sure your proposal is legal under 14 CFR 91.313? As you know, the feds are very iffy about Restricted category aircraft doing anything other than mission-oriented flying/training. Taking a one-time/one-ride paying pax, who happens to have a PPL or CPL, and calling them a trainee......

I mean, I can't even ride on a aerial forest fire aircraft unless I'm a designated trainee with the contract company or federal agency, or a required crewmember in some other capacity.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ag,

You sure your proposal is legal under 14 CFR 91.313? As you know, the feds are very iffy about Restricted category aircraft doing anything other than mission-oriented flying/training. Taking a one-time/one-ride paying pax, who happens to have a PPL or CPL, and calling them a trainee......

I mean, I can't even ride on a aerial forest fire aircraft unless I'm a designated trainee with the contract company or federal agency, or a required crewmember in some other capacity.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, first off, yeah, it's a fine line. But this is a legitimate use of the aircraft and not an attempt to sneak around a reg. That's the reason for restricting the flights to licensed pilots. And no, there's certainly nothing wrong with taking a one-time introductory flight as the basis for future training.

Secondly, you'll notice that I said in my original post that "But I can pretty much assure you that any of you can afford it". Well, take my word for it, what I have in mind is like the "ultimate" in affordability. I'm a crop duster, not a ride pilot. The airplane is, to me, a toy and I have no intentions of even attempting to make money at it. So that removes lots of the hurdles right there. I just kind of hated to advertise free rides on the board. But for the record I would not accept one penny for the flight. A cold beverage after everything was parked maybe. But not a penny otherwise.

It's simply a way for me to allow other pilots who would otherwise never have the chance to experience what I do every day. It is nothing more than a chance for me to give something back for all the guys that helped me along the way. Everyone in this industry has received a helping hand at one point or another. And that's all this is. Not an opportunity for me to make some jack. Just a chance to make some friends and share what I love.

I mean, come on, do you really think that I'd post something on a public forum such as this that would, in essence, nail my own butt to the wall? Hehe, I'm a crop duster, but I ain't stupid!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Hey agcatman...welcome back!

If I were a little closer to your neck of the woods, I'd take you up on it in a heartbeat!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's simply a way for me to allow other pilots who would otherwise never have the chance to experience what I do every day. It is nothing more than a chance for me to give something back for all the guys that helped me along the way. Everyone in this industry has received a helping hand at one point or another. And that's all this is. Not an opportunity for me to make some jack. Just a chance to make some friends and share what I love.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a guy! Back when I was a "lurker" AgCatMan's story and pictures of his crash was the first thread that I ever read here at JetCareers. It's people like this that make JC such a great little online community. Thanks Doug!
smile.gif
and Kristie too!

You're a good man.
Don't be a stranger.
grin.gif

Hmmm...I've got a customer in Murphysboro, Illinois. Maybe next time I'm in there I'll give you a ring. Doesn't look to be too far away.
cool.gif

Shoot I will be driving through in a few weeks, maybe we can set something up. I have been wanting this for a long time. Thanks

There was always something beautiful about the way you guys fly. I used to sit and watch the Ag pilots all day long in TX. The precision and skill was astonishing. If I can make it to MO, I'll take you up on that offer. It would be like a childhood fantasy come true. An Ag pilot for a day.

What a little ripper!
Good on ya mate. good to see its finished!
On the topic, whats it like to fly crop dusters?
Must be exhilirating too...
How long to get an endorsment?

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
Quick question for you. I saw that you have GPS installed in there? Do you really get that precise or is it mostly done with visual cues?

Just asking questions.

And if I get out there, hell yeah, sign me up!

[/ QUOTE ]

And a quick answer right back at you.
smile.gif
Yes, the GPS is that accurate. Mine uses a Pentium class processor and updates twelve times per second. It is actually DGPS, which uses an additional signal called a differential. There are several ways to get it but the most common method nowadays is WAAS. It provides sub-meter accuracy and is actually, in my experience, sub-foot. I use a lightbar CDI mounted on the hopper which provides swath guidance. It's a magic system and considered standard equipment in ag planes today. I use a unit called a Satloc M3. Here's a link to their site:

Satloc . I've also used a Picodas Ag-Nav II system. Here's a link to their site: Picodas .

Hey, drop on by. You're always welcome.

Stephen

Back