Unmanned Commercial/Cargo/Charter Planes

Don't know the exact numbers but I have spent many blade hours looking for crashed UAVs between two Iraq deployments and back in the states. From what I've seen the UAV crash rate is ridiculusly high whether it be mechanical or operator error. Just no one ever hears about it. No way would I ever get on a pilotless aircraft.

I believe unmanned aircraft will only remain in the military because their are good reasons reasons for its use in the military, such as the ability of staying out of harm's way.
What I see as a concern for pilots outside of the military is high-speed trains and the use of the internet. The economical use of the internet is making it a highly desirable method of long distance business meetings.

until cars go 100% driverless, there is no way in hell i am getting in an airplane w/o someone at the controls

But that's the last thing I WANT to do when negotiating a squall line while approaching bingo fuel.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but do you actually say things like "approaching bingo fuel"? You're dangerous, Maverick.

On topic, never underestimate the lickpenny nature of the average American. No one thought they'd sit for hours on the baking tarmac to save a few bucks, either, but here we are.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but do you actually say things like "approaching bingo fuel"? You're dangerous, Maverick.

Thats what our part 121 operation officially calls the amount of fuel needed to reach an alternate while satisfying our OPSPECS... I know it's funny!

Good points, but I can't tell you how many times I've been vectored for an approach only to look at the MFD and see 50-70 knot winds at 7,000 feet. That type of wind would make some dirigibles go backwards, wouldn't it (seriously asking, I have NO clue)?
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe many high tonnage airships would have sufficient drag due to their displacement to resist sudden directional velocity change due to winds. It's much like a high tonnage surface freighter in turbulent seas, the drag of the ship is enough to counteract other forces. Extreme forces can, of course, affect a surface or air ship, but those would most likely be extreme cases. At least that's how I understand it.

Back