Do the big airlines do charters?

C’mon, it wasn’t that much, more like half a year’s salary.

I saw a screenshot of one month's salary for a retiring DAL CA that was more than this figure (pic taken by a navy and delta bud who was jumpseating the flight). 1.3M for the year. This was probably not that much to him

Full disclosure, I showed this to the guy I was flying with at the time, and he said something to the effect of "god damnit f my life" and then muttered some other choice words. "Sorry?"

^ Dont hate the playa, hate the game ya'll

I saw a screenshot of one month's salary for a retiring DAL CA that was more than this figure (pic taken by a navy and delta bud who was jumpseating the flight). 1.3M for the year. This was probably not that much to him

Full disclosure, I showed this to the guy I was flying with at the time, and he said something to the effect of "god damnit f my life" and then muttered some other choice words. "Sorry?"

I don't work a lot and I'm probably at least "half" that but there is some other stuff mixed in of course.

The one time a asked an airline charter department about that, they said they'd have to quote two round-trips, because they have to pay for the airplane and crew to get back home when they drop you off, then another round-trip to pick you up again. They won't sit at the destination waiting for you to be ready to return. It is not a way to save money ...
This.

I don't know the specifics of airline charters, but I know the dynamics of charters in general, and one has to consider the opportunity cost of letting an airplane sit.

If you're going to park a widebody aircraft in London for a week, you have to estimate how much revenue will be lost by having it parked. Since most airliners are constantly on the move, generating revenue, I'd imagine this number is quite high. For a week long trip, it is probably cheaper to fly across the Atlantic empty, twice, than to be out of commission for a week.

This is also probably why airlines do things like sports charters. They are either out and back in the same day, or one overnight maybe.

My tolerance for that has dropped. Now if anyone tries to throw a fit, I just tell them go apply, they’re hiring. Funny thing, I know a couple FOs who did the same to a POed CA. Some people will just live their life mad about what someone else gets, does, or makes. And they forget to live their own life and enjoy their own journey.

Even at a certain virtual airline, CAs can easily pull 500k. So if he’s looking at a 1.2m paycheck and says Eff my life and other choice words, he almost certainly isn’t on his his first wife and has all sorts of toys he shouldn’t have gotten. Instead of hating on one’s shop, how about hating on one’s own personal and financial matters? I don’t mean you AMG, I mean in general the people who find themselves unhappy as a CA.

This.

I don't know the specifics of airline charters, but I know the dynamics of charters in general, and one has to consider the opportunity cost of letting an airplane sit.

If you're going to park a widebody aircraft in London for a week, you have to estimate how much revenue will be lost by having it parked. Since most airliners are constantly on the move, generating revenue, I'd imagine this number is quite high. For a week long trip, it is probably cheaper to fly across the Atlantic empty, twice, than to be out of commission for a week.

This is also probably why airlines do things like sports charters. They are either out and back in the same day, or one overnight maybe.

And sometimes, it depends on the destination too, right? The Tabernacle Choir flew SLC-CRK a couple weeks back using 2 A350s from Delta and one of the planes stayed in CRK for the whole duration (3 nights). I'm guessing since Delta doesn't really have a huge Pacific footprint, that it was "more economical" for them to keep the plane in the Philippines, rather than flying somewhere else for a day or 2 of revenue flying.

This.

The NBA bought SouthernJets a fleet of 757's and they just essentially "crew" them and have an exclusive MX contract. Or something like that.

I did a bunch of NHL and NBA charters in the special config 319s we had.

As a former charter broker and pilot, it’s really not that complicated. You either have the money or you don’t. To expand on this, a business will do wild things for good money.

I had a friend that flew a King Air C-90 under Part 135.

Some people called the hangar and wanted a quote for a round trip from Madera, CA to San Diego.

Their response was "It's way cheaper to fly (LCC)!" and wanted to bargain.

Yeah, he was going to fly a family of four from a small airport to a large airport, catered, beverages and sit there in a hotel for three or four days, absolutely unpaid, plane sitting there baking on the ramp, to fly them back. All for the low-low price of four LCC tickets.

And no one is going to fly them from even Fresno to SAN, not to mention MAE.

Back