Uniforms?

Tram said:
Well.. The uniforms start in Jan.. Just talked to a 'structor tonight.. YOu guys have fun.. :)

Coach - I am going to give the Jetstream 32 a shot, see if she can make me a genuine pilot. :) Got hired by Regions Air.. Woot..

Any details on the uniforms? Is it really going to be airline style?
Congrats on the hire!
Andy

GAPILOT said:
Any details on the uniforms? Is it really going to be airline style?
Congrats on the hire!
Andy

Yes they will be. The plus side to this change is that students will now be provided with jepp subscriptions. Instructors recieve jepp plates for free.

So how many stripes will the students wear? One, two, three or, please tell me not FOUR!

Will it be a new stripe for each major level passed--one stripe for pre-private, two if you have your private, three when you get your commercial and four when you get your CFI?

I personally don't like the uniforms idea, but I'd still recommend it to just about anyone wanting a career as a professional pilot, no matter how silly you and your partner will look getting out of the Seminole in Meridian with your pretty uniforms on :buck:.

Jeremy

Starting next year all students will be required to wear the uniforms! Instructors will be wearing a blue shirt. ATP is trying to form more alliances with regional airlines, I guess the whole purpose is to look professional at all times in case some airlines stop by for a visit. That's the latest I've heard.

GaTechKid said:
Yes they will be. The plus side to this change is that students will now be provided with jepp subscriptions. Instructors recieve jepp plates for free.

Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it. I'm just glad I'll be doing my training in the winter months! The jepp subscriptions will be a nice advantage.

Andy

UND_Flyer said:
Starting next year all students will be required to wear the uniforms! Instructors will be wearing a blue shirt. ATP is trying to form more alliances with regional airlines, I guess the whole purpose is to look professional at all times in case some airlines stop by for a visit. That's the latest I've heard.

That makes sense, but of coures it'll look a tad bit funny jumping out of a 172 with a full blown uniform on.

Althought, i dont think it'll look too bad jumping out of the CJ with it on!

Ok, so now they are "throwing in" a Jeppesen subscription? Yet another waste of money. I would rather pay less for the program and worry about charts myself.

Oh, well, havent put my deposite down yet...we'll see how all these changes turn out, then I'll make my final descision as to where im doing my advanced training...

The Jepp subscription is a great idea. All the airlines use Jepp charts, so it's somewhat silly to use the government-issue charts. I'd prefer to familiarize myself with Jepps...that'll prepare me for a career.

modesto2 said:
The Jepp subscription is a great idea. All the airlines use Jepp charts, so it's somewhat silly to use the government-issue charts. I'd prefer to familiarize myself with Jepps...that'll prepare me for a career.

I agree. I've gotten used to the government charts and dread having to learn the new ones, but better now than later. I'm sure everybody will be using them before long.

modesto2 said:

Hey, if you want to use Jepps great (I plan on getting them myself) but why make everyone pay for them? I would rather not have that additional cost thrown in to the program cost at ATP.

Maybe the reason they are going Jepp is that all the airliners use them, unless they're moving to Lido..

One of the biggest "kept me from getting the job" I have heard from guys who didn't get picked up by a regional was - "I didn't know the Jepp charts as well as I should have.."

However, I would suggest you know both of them.. My interview had questions on both..

I mean, if they're going to make you guys wear uniforms, providing you with Jepp makes you that much more prepared. :)

Why not learn them now, rather than worry about it later?

Tram, agreed. I've been using NACO plates for my instrument training and I'm quite happy about the Jepp subscription. It is an opportunity to get familiar with something that the airlines will require. And about uniforms, I didn't realize there were so many strong opinions out there! ;) I don't really care. I just want to fly, uniformed or not.
By the way, Tram, congrats on the job!

Yeh, the uniforms could go either way..

I didn't wear the ATP shirt as a student too often, other than on a few checkrides, so I would have been anti-uniform.. :)

However, I would have loved the Jepps.. :)

Ohh, thanks on the congrats.. :D

UND_Flyer said:

Do you really think that wearing an airline pilot style uniform at a flight school is going to make a positive impression on airline pilots that may drop in? Do you think that any person involved in hiring at a regional would consider something like that would make a school more professional in their mind? Oh please.

Sorry if I'm being crass but it's early in the morning and I'm tired.

BrettInLJ said:
Do you really think that wearing an airline pilot style uniform at a flight school is going to make a positive impression on airline pilots that may drop in? Do you think that any person involved in hiring at a regional would consider something like that would make a school more professional in their mind?

I don't know, you would have to ask Jim at ATP. I'm just telling you what I've heard...

BrettInLJ said:
Do you really think that wearing an airline pilot style uniform at a flight school is going to make a positive impression on airline pilots that may drop in? Do you think that any person involved in hiring at a regional would consider something like that would make a school more professional in their mind? Oh please.

Sorry if I'm being crass but it's early in the morning and I'm tired.

I dont know if a uniform would be more professional but i certainly think, when airlines drop in, it would be better if they were dressed nicely, and professionally, if that means pants and a nice shirt.

Bigey said:
I dont know if a uniform would be more professional but i certainly think, when airlines drop in, it would be better if they were dressed nicely, and professionally, if that means pants and a nice shirt.

God I hate this argument.

You're going to be a "professional" for your entire flying career. Let those who are paying to learn to fly wear what we choose, just for a little bit more.

This is akin to a college requiring all of its students to wear a tie every day. Yes, you'd look more professional, but who cares?

Back