UND Aerospace Camp

Heya Addict and Navy,

I'm instructing for the camp in July so maybe I'll see ya around. I'm from BOS as well, and yeah, you get randomly assigned instructors. Just realize this camp is NOT your first rides to a private license. It's very much a show and tell rather than a demonstrate and teach.

A few hours, a dabble in everything, and really if you know how to fly, TELL THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR. We're basically to get you to A to B and back as soon as possible as we get 2 students into one launch, everyday. So, if you know the basics, we will let you fly, otherwise, we basically get you in the air, you fly, we land.

Have fun though, it goes really fast!

I flew for a regional for 2 years, and I got furloughed. I've been out of a job for close to 6 months, so I know what it is like. I will probably never get recalled, and I will not return to the airlines. I am not here to bash UND, the point of my previous post is to let people know that getting a Commercial Aviation degree is worthless. The furlough scenario is one of the reasons not to get a Comm. Aviation degree, if you have a BBA, at least you have a better chance of getting a non-aviation job that will pay better than flipping burgers. Also, there are a lot of guys that don't even have their CFIs, because they ran off to a regional with 300 hours and are now furloughed and can't even go back to instructing. I was asking you why do you think you can just come back to UND and work as a CFI? Do you think UND owes it to you because you have worked there before or because you flew an RJ? Are they even hiring? People can't even get a job as a CFI these days.

Again, the whole point is look beyond aviation. With the way the economy is and the airline industry, I always tell people to go to a local college or university and get a non-aviation degree and do the flying on the side.

I am sorry to hear that, I too know your pain and dont plan on going back to airlines because its just not worth the pay and time away from home. I will return when work rules are better as well as pay/ retirement. As far as UND oweing me a job because I am a alum or I was a RJ driver. They dont, I just know a few higher ups and will grease there wheels a little and try to get back in. I left on good terms unlike some and well if I am gonna be living up there and still love flying might as well. From what I have heard they are still short on instructors. Anyway sorry to here about your furlough if you are ever in the MSP for the time being give a message and I will buy ya a beer. Take it easy sir and I was not trying bash you but rather explain my side of that while a B.S. in aerospace means you cant be a lawyer off the spot, it does however get you into jobs outside of aviation, ones that pay good and have good retirement and bennies.
-Farva

Did you decide to go to UND after the camp because they used good persuasion? I'm afraid I'm going to come back and will already be sure that I want to go to UND. I don't want to come back thinking that. I'm still considering going to a good public college and doing the flying on the side, just like everyone tells me to.

Do you regret going to UND?

After seeing what UND had to offer it was clearly the best. You will get a great opportunity to see everything first hand. Be sure to ask any questions you have about anything - someone will always get you the answer. Sounds like you are looking to major in Commercial Aviation. I came to UND for Air Traffic Control. But regardless of what aviation field you are in...this is the place to be.

Heya Addict and Navy,

I'm instructing for the camp in July so maybe I'll see ya around. I'm from BOS as well, and yeah, you get randomly assigned instructors. Just realize this camp is NOT your first rides to a private license. It's very much a show and tell rather than a demonstrate and teach.

A few hours, a dabble in everything, and really if you know how to fly, TELL THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR. We're basically to get you to A to B and back as soon as possible as we get 2 students into one launch, everyday. So, if you know the basics, we will let you fly, otherwise, we basically get you in the air, you fly, we land.

Have fun though, it goes really fast!
Hey, I'm going to the camp too. I am friends in r/l with navy and we both are at about the same point in training (35ish hours and 2 dual xc's done). I was wondering what we should expect to really do on these flights/how many hours are we most likely to get?

I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

I'd also like some comments on what I plan on doing: I want to do a major-minor in computer science and aviation (as the minor). Would this work out well or does UND have a program similar to Purdue's in which you cannot minor in aviation?

Location SFM? I used to fly out of ASH when I got my private and go to SFM for cross country flights because it was 51.0 nm out.

Hey, I'm going to the camp too. I am friends in r/l with navy and we both are at about the same point in training (35ish hours and 2 dual xc's done). I was wondering what we should expect to really do on these flights/how many hours are we most likely to get?

I'd also like some comments on what I plan on doing: I want to do a major-minor in computer science and aviation (as the minor). Would this work out well or does UND have a program similar to Purdue's in which you cannot minor in aviation?

I think your major in computer science and minor in aviation would work out great because the the computer science building and aviation building are literally "Linked" together and a 10 second walk apart. (I'm a slow walker)

Ugh, well I don't have the TCO in front of me (training course outline, UND Aerospace camp is Course 88), but I think it's 5 or 7 flights. Plan on about 5-6 hours total, but it varies with weather and the likes.

There's:

Aerobatic Lesson
Day VFR flight
Day IFR Flight
Day "XC" flight (just to an airport 30nm away and back)
Night "XC" Flight

That may be it. Everything is very loosely arranged and if you already have 35 hours, it may not be the greatest thing you've ever done. Do us a favor, at the flights, let us know you know how to fly and the aircraft is yours. Otherwise, we've got 30-45min a piece to demo everything and it ends up being more of the CFI flying than the students. Tell us though and seriously it's yours.

As far as aviation minor: http://www.aviation.und.edu/ProspectiveStudents/Undergraduate/minor.aspx

Cya!

also do you know what planes we will be using? C172 im guessing? Will it be G1000 equiped?

PirepCessna172-1956-7.jpg

They only have a few C172's G1000 equipped which they may have you use just to make it look like you will be flying it. The rest of the Cessna's look that picture above.

:beer: All the Cessna's have fancy screen cockpit although I have not seen any Undergraduate students using them for primary training. I think that may change for this coming fall semester.

lol, well the glass screens arent that important, I was just wondering since i currently am training in a Piper Warrior with a Garmin 430 and I have almost 40 hours logged in it and I just want to see how it would be flying in a plane with the fancy glass screens. =)

If your initials are CT or TT, I'm your CFI for aerocamp. I can't really tell ya much ahead of time since I just fly, and not the liason.

If your initials are CT or TT, I'm your CFI for aerocamp. I can't really tell ya much ahead of time since I just fly, and not the liason.

Not me. :(

And it isn't navy or slugger either.

Question, do we actually get to fly the decathlon? And what is the maximum height to fit in?

No idea for the camp, and yes, you will fly the decathlon. You will NOT land or T/o the Decathlon, but airborne... have fun! You get +6.0G's and -3.0G's as a max. Weight is the issue in that airplane, not height. If you're under 6'8" you should be fine.

If your initials are JB or DC, you're with my buddy. Also if it's AT or SW you've got a great CFI.

Oh, I forgot.

Monday, between 1800 and 2200 you'll have a sim where you learn to fly.
Tuesday between 1000 and 1300 you'll have a launch for Local VFR Flight
Wednesday you'll have a launch between 1000-1300 for local IFR flight
Thursday, between 1000-1230 you'll have a launch between 1000-1230 for a XC.
Friday, between 2100 and 2200 you'll have a launch for a local xc night flight.

Sometime between Monday and Saturday you'll also have a launch for the aerobatic flight.

This is all tentative and not set in stone. Some may fly at other times as aircraft and weather do play a big role. You will get a briefing of sorts when you get here. Pack for warm or hot days, and cold nights. For the aircraft, try to have a waterbottle for yourself as it can get hot some days.

The forecast for this week is mostly nice, but be aware, safety still comes before getting a flight done, so if TS are forecast, we may have to push the flight back a day.

Any other questions, ask when you get here tomorrow.

Oh, and Have Fun, Fly Safe!

No idea for the camp, and yes, you will fly the decathlon. You will NOT land or T/o the Decathlon, but airborne... have fun! You get +6.0G's and -3.0G's as a max. Weight is the issue in that airplane, not height. If you're under 6'8" you should be fine.

If your initials are JB or DC, you're with my buddy. Also if it's AT or SW you've got a great CFI.

Anychance JP has a great CFI?

Thanks for the detailed info, so excited.

Back