UND Aerospace Camp

Oh, I forgot.

Monday, between 1800 and 2200 you'll have a sim where you learn to fly.
Tuesday between 1000 and 1300 you'll have a launch for Local VFR Flight
Wednesday you'll have a launch between 1000-1300 for local IFR flight
Thursday, between 1000-1230 you'll have a launch between 1000-1230 for a XC.
Friday, between 2100 and 2200 you'll have a launch for a local xc night flight.

Sometime between Monday and Saturday you'll also have a launch for the aerobatic flight.

This is all tentative and not set in stone. Some may fly at other times as aircraft and weather do play a big role. You will get a briefing of sorts when you get here. Pack for warm or hot days, and cold nights. For the aircraft, try to have a waterbottle for yourself as it can get hot some days.

The forecast for this week is mostly nice, but be aware, safety still comes before getting a flight done, so if TS are forecast, we may have to push the flight back a day.

Any other questions, ask when you get here tomorrow.

Oh, and Have Fun, Fly Safe!
Since a few of us know how to fly already, what will we do in the sim?

Well, we generally have a very good instructor core, but for aerocamp we usually show off with experienced instructors. Jor.. you have Wass. She's fun.

Show up tomorrow and have a blast.

Since a few of us know how to fly already, what will we do in the sim?

Uh, I guess take it up and have fun trying to spin it or crash. Otherwise learn the G1000. All but a few have a C172 sim. My guys get a warrior sim.

So, let them know. If you're working on an instrument rating, we can do some IFR stuff with ya.

Damn, maybe I should start an Aerospace Fantasy Camp :D

Cost includes everything. If you compare it to other camps that all those Ivy League fantasy kids go to it is actually not expensive. Those ivy league camps are actually more expensive and you don't fly, no fuel expenses, etc... I think you'll make more money if you open those kind of camps for the 'I am a future Donald Trump' kids.

UND's cost is good compared with other aviation camps out there.

Well, we generally have a very good instructor core, but for aerocamp we usually show off with experienced instructors. Jor.. you have Wass. She's fun.

Show up tomorrow and have a blast.

Thanks for the info!

So you are saying that we only get to see the good instructors? And they hide the bad ones?

So you are saying that we only get to see the good instructors? And they hide the bad ones?

I don't think he's saying there are bad instructors but there may certainly be a difference between a brand new instructor and one who had instructed for a couple of years. I could certainly tell the difference between my Private pilot instructor and my CFI instructor who has a lot more experience. For the camp, they may have some more experienced instructors.

Sorry, I should clarify. We have instructors volunteer to do the Aerocamp as it's outside of our normal duties (most student we have last for a month or 2, so a one week camp is out of the rotation). They generally get more volunteers than we have students, so they select those that have positive reviews from students, faculty, or whomever, combined with time instructed.

We try to give a very positive message with those who do the camp. I know when I had my first student I overtaught some things and under taught some others. The more experience you get as a CFI the more you steady your legs to walk a student through a course.

As such, generally we don't give a brand new instructor an aerocamper, but we have before depending on their experience.

So, no, we really don't have bad instructors. Are they out there? Yeah, but I feel that at UND we have a really dependable core and and good support structure to let instructors grow and learn where need be.

Aerocampers get the old farts... You know, 23, 24 years old (I'm almost 26... I think I need the walker soon!)

Uh, I guess take it up and have fun trying to spin it or crash. Otherwise learn the G1000. All but a few have a C172 sim. My guys get a warrior sim.

So, let them know. If you're working on an instrument rating, we can do some IFR stuff with ya.

PS - i "hear" if you invert the seminole sim you "could" render the attitude indicator INOP.

i "hear".

Oh yeah... it's a paycheck padding... per se. It's just nice cause there's not any true standards you have to meet on these flights. Consider them fun flights.

And yeah *cough* I've heard that about the attitude indicators as well. I know the Truflites can't be broken by the maneuvering, however. They also won't spin.

Oh yeah... it's a paycheck padding... per se. It's just nice cause there's not any true standards you have to meet on these flights. Consider them fun flights.

And yeah *cough* I've heard that about the attitude indicators as well. I know the Truflites can't be broken by the maneuvering, however. They also won't spin.

Truflight? Whats that? Did UND finally get some sims from this century?

I had a .7 session of Hypersim in 325 which we found it was possible to spin the plane with an engine failed and full power on the other engine. Everything worked fine after we were done but I think the instruments got a workout. My student did some aerobatics in the cessna sim the first time he was on instruments.

Truflight? Whats that? Did UND finally get some sims from this century?
UND did get 3 C172 sims which are G1000 equipped and very fancy.

Ok, I went full power at 130 kts, Pulled up into a 60 degree nose up, went idle, and then full crossed controls....

What was I doing wrong that made it not spin?

Ok, I went full power at 130 kts, Pulled up into a 60 degree nose up, went idle, and then full crossed controls....

What was I doing wrong that made it not spin?

My student asked if he could see what a spin looked like, so we went power idle, 45 degrees pitch up, full rudder with neutral ailerons right at the stall, and it spun for about 10 seconds before breaking into a spiral.

My student asked if he could see what a spin looked like, so we went power idle, 45 degrees pitch up, full rudder with neutral ailerons right at the stall, and it spun for about 10 seconds before breaking into a spiral.

Well, now I know what I'm doing with my free time tomorrow!

My student also asked what a spin looked like...I just showed him the pictures of my sick sack. That was the first spin flight, then by the second I knew what to expect and did not eat a big mac on the way to the airport.

Back