UND Aerospace Camp

I was doing a minor in econ until this semester. I loved the classes, but I can't make it work so that I graduate on time. For commercial, you have to take both Macro and Micro econ. Another great class is Money and Banking (Econ 303). If I could make it work, I would still do it.

I'm pretty sure it was Money and Banking with Goenner that made my roommate drop it. I had Goenner for Micro, pretty decent guy and he can be funny at times but he talks with monotone voice and that gets boring fast.

I'm pretty sure it was Money and Banking with Goenner that made my roommate drop it. I had Goenner for Micro, pretty decent guy and he can be funny at times but he talks with monotone voice and that gets boring fast.

I left UND a while ago, but is Goenner the one who is all about USC Football? I think I had him for Macro. Personally, I thought the Economics department sucked at UND.

Can you guys be a little bit more specific when you say that you are unhappy at UND. Why? I would really like to know all point of views, good and bad, pros and cons. I'm not the type of guy who doesn't want to hear people talk bad about the university he plans to go to.

@flyeagle111:
Are you going to be class '13?
I am also planning on doing a double major. I am thinking of commercial or flight ed with something like Banking and Financial Economics. At first I thought with mechanical engineering, but engineering as a double major!!!??? I think it might be impossible, but I love challenges.

Yea, I'm class of 13'. I'm trying to figure out the double major thing before I get there...I'll be doing ATC with flight on the side. I really liked Econ in high school and it doesn't seem like it has a ton of credits...only like 40. I was thinking education as a good backup, but that would take so much longer. I'm wondering if the double major is worth the extra time...

Yea, I'm class of 13'. I'm trying to figure out the double major thing before I get there...I'll be doing ATC with flight on the side. I really liked Econ in high school and it doesn't seem like it has a ton of credits...only like 40. I was thinking education as a good backup, but that would take so much longer. I'm wondering if the double major is worth the extra time...

Are you doing ATC just with PPL or all you going all the way for commercial?

I personally think that the double major is worth the extra time for pilots. Think about all those furloughed pilots who have an aviation major. What do they do after being furloughed??? They need a back up job to survive. What about those that lose their medical? ATC also have that problem.

No none of that. It's just that you will encounter a few in the aviation department that make it really uncool to be an aviation student. It usually involves young Freshmen from anywhere outside the Midwest. They will usually let you know where they are from and that they are here for aviation. All within the first 30 seconds of conversation.

Anyone from outside the Midwest will most likely feel a strong need to not appear as if they are a North Dakotan until they are used to the Grand Forks area... especially after meeting their first North Dakotan that lists every farm implement they have operated in the first 30 seconds of conversation. It's happened to me... not fun.

I left UND a while ago, but is Goenner the one who is all about USC Football? I think I had him for Macro. Personally, I thought the Economics department sucked at UND.

No, that was the other professor. I had the USC guy for a couple of days but then I had to change my schedule and so I got Goenner.

Yea, I agree. I'm going to go all the way through CFI. I guess I will just have to end up staying an extra year to finish up.

You really shouldn't have to stay an extra 5th year here. It's easy to get all the way up to CFI done within 3 years.

Instead of just adding on Private through CFI to your ATC degree you should just try and go for and double in ATC and Aviation Managment (which has you flying up to multi then you can just add on CFI if you want). Yes you have to take two accounting classes and some extra managment classes but I think it's worth it to have a managment degree as a back up.

Anyone from outside the Midwest will most likely feel a strong need to not appear as if they are a North Dakotan until they are used to the Grand Forks area... especially after meeting their first North Dakotan that lists every farm implement they have operated in the first 30 seconds of conversation. It's happened to me... not fun.

I understand what you are saying but it is kind of like someone going to NC and expecting it to be like NYC, just because it is on the east coast. I'm from Minneapolis and North Dakota was a shock. When i was growing up ND was just kind of there didn't know much about it. Most people consider Ohio in the Midwest and it is obviously vastly different from ND. Before i went to UND, Being from MN i always considered ND to be more Great Plains than Midwest and lumped it closer to OK and Northern Texas. Especially Western ND.

PS. If you ever get really bored in GFK go drive to the ND badlands. Very Interesting. The red river valley is only flat because it is an ancient lake bed that only rises like 400 ft in 80 miles or something like that.

I also agree with Bignellyxx.

I hate it when people think that I some kind of a farmer or an expert on agriculture just because I live in the Midwest. I am from Minneapolis, city type of guy, never really been on a farm, just know the same about agriculture as everyone with a high school diploma (which I think is basically nothing). Saying we are all farmers is like saying everyone from California are surfers. Really don't believe that is true, every geographical locations have various types of people. I actually love the ocean and going to beach. I don't surf because never really had great balance, but I do bodyboard. AND I am from the Midwest!!!

Returning to the double major topic:

Has anyone ever done a double major in ATC/Commercial aviation? Lets say you lost your pilot job (medical, furlough or some other reason), could you get an ATC job?

I also agree with Bignellyxx.

I hate it when people think that I some kind of a farmer or an expert on agriculture just because I live in the Midwest. I am from Minneapolis, city type of guy, never really been on a farm, just know the same about agriculture as everyone with a high school diploma (which I think is basically nothing). Saying we are all farmers is like saying everyone from California are surfers. Really don't believe that is true, every geographical locations have various types of people. I actually love the ocean and going to beach. I don't surf because never really had great balance, but I do bodyboard. AND I am from the Midwest!!!

Returning to the double major topic:

Has anyone ever done a double major in ATC/Commercial aviation? Lets say you lost your pilot job (medical, furlough or some other reason), could you get an ATC job?

You can't hold Pilot medical you probably can't hold atc medical...

And be sure to wear your ID badge at all times while on campus so everyone knows that you are a cool flying kid

Back