UND Aerospace Camp

I just graduated from UND with a Degree in Commercial Aviation. And am a flight instructor for UND. I trained outside of UND up to my commercial license and then transferred up here and had to do a whole lot of recurrent training here before being able to continue on to the program. Graduating in 3 years without summer school and a year of generals at home it is a great program and I have no regrets. There are good and bad sides to doing a degree in aviation. The truth of the matter is no employer cares much about the degree, it is the fact that you have a degree, have gained experience in the field in which you wish to work and are a good hearted individual. Don't let the bitter old guys try to drive you away, yes a aviation management degree is the best I believe, but do what you want and what makes you happy it is your college experience and you will be the one doing all of the work so choose wisely. I worked in the admissions offices for the Aerospace department and have answered questions from all over and helped students during the Aerospace camps as well as other events we put on during the year.

Currently a CFI up here it is not bad, very easy to make a good living and enjoy life trust me. Any other questions just ask.

Thanks for the informative post. Good to have a source of info from someone who has gone through but is still in it, not saying that you other guys aren't trustworthy..:D

Do you think it is possible to finish a double major, Commercial Aviation and Business, in time? Would I have to pay more tuition for a double major?

What do you have to say about the program? Good and bad? Would you recommend UND to a friend? Do every graduates automatically become FI's for UND? How much flight time do you normally graduate with?

Sorry for asking so much questions....

Will be up there for the aerospace camp. Curious, what are we going to be flying? Hope I get you as my FI!!!

It is possible to do a double major at no additional cost.
Tuition is the same for as many classes you can handle.
Finish in time? 4 years? its doable.
Program has been pretty good so far not too much to complain about although you hear different.
You do not automatically become a flight instructor in once you are a flight instructor. You have to apply and go through a hiring process which consists of a written test, interview, and a simulator a evaluation.
If you dont flight instruct you will probably have around 250 hours. If you instruct, you may have more.

Has the aerospace camps started? I was on the 5th floor of the five story building the other day and saw a bunch of high school kids sleeping on the floor and some were on tables put together to make beds. I figured they were waiting to take flights 1 by one. I think they will take you up the either a Warrior or a Cessna.

It is possible to do a double major at no additional cost.
Tuition is the same for as many classes you can handle.
Finish in time? 4 years? its doable.
Program has been pretty good so far not too much to complain about although you hear different.
You do not automatically become a flight instructor in once you are a flight instructor. You have to apply and go through a hiring process which consists of a written test, interview, and a simulator a evaluation.
If you dont flight instruct you will probably have around 250 hours. If you instruct, you may have more.

Has the aerospace camps started? I was on the 5th floor of the five story building the other day and saw a bunch of high school kids sleeping on the floor and some were on tables put together to make beds. I figured they were waiting to take flights 1 by one. I think they will take you up the either a Warrior or a Cessna.

Thanks for the answers to all the questions.

Aerospace camp was June 21-28 and is going to be on July 12-19 (the one I chose).

About the flight instructor position. How hard is it to get hired? With a MEI, do you normally instruct ME much?

Thanks for the answers to all the questions.

Aerospace camp was June 21-28 and is going to be on July 12-19 (the one I chose).

About the flight instructor position. How hard is it to get hired? With a MEI, do you normally instruct ME much?

I dont think its too difficult to get hired if you know your stuff. They only hire at certain times so you cant just fill out an application at any time. If you have your MEI, they will typically want you to have given some kind of instrument instruction prior to you teaching the multi engine course.

Well ladies and gents I might be back in the ole' alma mater and we will see if I am gonna be able to be a instructor again. Maybe try to do those stage checks.

For those who have questions on the program you can PM and I will get back to you as soon as possible. I still have a lot of friends instructing there.

Well ladies and gents I might be back in the ole' alma mater and we will see if I am gonna be able to be a instructor again. Maybe try to do those stage checks.

Why, are you getting furloughed? What makes you think UND will be hiring? Didn't they take on a bunch of furloughed people not too long ago that left straight for the airlines as soon as they graduated?

I hate to say it over and over again, but that is one of the reason you don't get an aviation degree. All you know is how to fly airplanes.... just FYI for the guys looking to go to UND!

And for your info I am taking my B.S. in aerospace and going into criminal justice (police officer)and will come back as a part-time instructor or stage pilot so that way I am still keeping the certs current and I am just flying for fun not for paying the bills.Are you furloughed? If os I feel your pain, if not , dont be so quick to pull the pin on alum coming back, and if you dont like your education and or the school that your issue but quite frankly its getting old on here when people bash UND, if you hate it so much then stop posting on here and move on with yourself.Also dont get me wrong here about who came and left a short while later but most of those werent furloughed. They had class dates that were cancelled. Furloughs are usually more than a couple of months and the way things are now I dont think most people are going to get recalled for at least several years. So if you got a problem with that I guess you can complain on here, to those who want to go to UND. Its a good school and a decent program. There will be pitfalls and dissappointments but in life that is how things go especially in the real world.

-Farva

I flew for a regional for 2 years, and I got furloughed. I've been out of a job for close to 6 months, so I know what it is like. I will probably never get recalled, and I will not return to the airlines. I am not here to bash UND, the point of my previous post is to let people know that getting a Commercial Aviation degree is worthless. The furlough scenario is one of the reasons not to get a Comm. Aviation degree, if you have a BBA, at least you have a better chance of getting a non-aviation job that will pay better than flipping burgers. Also, there are a lot of guys that don't even have their CFIs, because they ran off to a regional with 300 hours and are now furloughed and can't even go back to instructing. I was asking you why do you think you can just come back to UND and work as a CFI? Do you think UND owes it to you because you have worked there before or because you flew an RJ? Are they even hiring? People can't even get a job as a CFI these days.

Again, the whole point is look beyond aviation. With the way the economy is and the airline industry, I always tell people to go to a local college or university and get a non-aviation degree and do the flying on the side.

hey flyaddict, im also signed up for the UND camp in July, not much longer now, its like what, 7 days? Anyway if you have facebook join the group 26th international UND aerospace camp, or some title close to that. Its going to be sick, we may get to use their CRJ sim! =)

hey flyaddict, im also signed up for the UND camp in July, not much longer now, its like what, 7 days? Anyway if you have facebook join the group 26th international UND aerospace camp, or some title close to that. Its going to be sick, we may get to use their CRJ sim! =)

Hey. Looks like I'm not the only on JC. My facebook got disabled for some odd reason, but I'll see what I can do. Are you going to GFK on Mesaba?

im flying BOS-MSP-GFK
the MSP-GFK flight is a Mesba saab 340 flight 3119 departing MSP at 11:00AM

You guys are going to really enjoy the camp. I'm sure you are excited for it! I also attended four years back - also from the Boston area and came to UND for school after.

You guys are going to really enjoy the camp. I'm sure you are excited for it! I also attended four years back - also from the Boston area and came to UND for school after.

Did you decide to go to UND after the camp because they used good persuasion? I'm afraid I'm going to come back and will already be sure that I want to go to UND. I don't want to come back thinking that. I'm still considering going to a good public college and doing the flying on the side, just like everyone tells me to.

Do you regret going to UND?

Back