UND Aerospace Camp

Very, very few people get hired either OTS or CTI straight to a level 11+ facility. Not saying it doesn't happen because I know a guy off the street headed to DTW tower (12). I think that is mainly because no one wants to go to Detroit. Don't get your hopes up for a major facility right off the bat, more likely a level 5-9 for initial hires.

True, unless the facility is a Center which is hurting for people. A lot of those are pretty much career facilities.

Both IAD tower and ZDC are hurting bad right now... with few CPC's and many trainees. Which doesn't make it easy to get in per say... but they have a laundry list of retirements that are coming up and they need people. So far what I've heard is if you apply for ZDC you get it. I haven't heard much for IAD yet, but knowing the traffic in and out of there, I think it would be easier than ZDC right off the bat.

However, I'm willing and able to work my ass off for the next 4 years trying to get up to CPC.

ProudPilot, did you major in Commercial aviation at UND, than flight instruct and now are considering ATC OTS? Is the only reason to do this money?

Well my true love is flying. For now it's the money. I enjoyed all my ATC classes and I still play ATC sims, but I wouldn't call it the love of my life. I'm buried in debt, no good way to get out of it, and this is a stable job. So yeah, there's a lot to do with money, but I still get a kick out of it.

I would like to head back to school at get an engineering degree at some point, but can't afford that for a few years still.

If you knew what you know today what would you have done different?

I am considering three options right now:
1- Get an engineering degree (probably aerospace) at a good public university (not UND) and at the end if I still want to fly professionally get the flight training done;
2- Go to UND for aviation management and some other business major;
3- Major in ATC at UND.

I love flying and the idea of doing it as a job but I am not sure that I should pursue that because of all the deteriorating work conditions of an airline pilot. ATC seems like it is an almost guaranteed job (shortage) and has good pay (?), but I don't know at what point it might become boring. Engineering seems like an exciting challenging career field that has reasonable pay and a stable life.

What do you think? Are you ever going back to aviation if you get a job at a regional airline?

If you major in atc, you should double major in something else. What will you do if you don't pass the academy, washout during facility training, or you hate the job? Then all you have is a useless piece of paper. ATC isn't for everbody, choose wisely.

If you knew what you know today what would you have done different?

I am considering three options right now:
1- Get an engineering degree (probably aerospace) at a good public university (not UND) and at the end if I still want to fly professionally get the flight training done;
2- Go to UND for aviation management and some other business major;
3- Major in ATC at UND.

I love flying and the idea of doing it as a job but I am not sure that I should pursue that because of all the deteriorating work conditions of an airline pilot. ATC seems like it is an almost guaranteed job (shortage) and has good pay (?), but I don't know at what point it might become boring. Engineering seems like an exciting challenging career field that has reasonable pay and a stable life.

What do you think? Are you ever going back to aviation if you get a job at a regional airline?

pick #1.

get a employable high paying degree, even if you dont really LOVE it. make some quick cash your first year or two out of college, pay for flight training that way.

Back