Transcon Desks

Bobber

Loves Whiskey
Looks like UA has them and AA doesn't.

Not sure about the big D or SW?

What are y'all's thoughts and opinions on them?

AA used to have two transcon desks prior to the merger. They were extremely busy and went fairly junior. There were lots of medicals, passenger misconducts, and mechanicals. Structured routes were common for all of them during the summer months. CDRs out of the northeast often ran up against tankage and max takeoff weight on narrowbodies. Turbulence common crossing the mountains.

Workload in terms of flights was similar in number to other domestic desks but these flights were airborne for much longer so 20 airborne flights were not uncommon.

After the merger, it was decided to split up the transcon flying among all the general population desks.

B6 has 6-7 transcon desks depending on shift and time if year. Divided between NorCal and SoCal with random domestic flights sprinkled in. Overall they are nice and go pretty mid-high senior for line holders.

None of the day I sit at the transcon desk that has no medical or mechanical issue. Like, people cant take 5+ hrs flight ?!? 😂. And Im not a fan of transcon due to the boredome of having the same flight going back and forth ewr-sfo, and you have to watch out for wx fcst for the whole US not just focusing on 1 region, and 5hrs fcst is pretty far ahead, lots of things change. At UA we have 4 transcon desks for every shifts.

I like working transcons. In the winter: weight restrictions, in the summer: thunderstorms. I enjoy being busy at work. When I’m dealing with issues I feel like I’m firing on all cylinders. Compared to working LAS to some West Coast city turns.

I like working transcons. In the winter: weight restrictions, in the summer: thunderstorms. I enjoy being busy at work. When I’m dealing with issues I feel like I’m firing on all cylinders. Compared to working LAS to some West Coast city turns.

Yep agreed. I enjoy the challenge of building routes on the transcon desks and seeing that plan come to fruition opposed to say WATRS where you only have like 6 routes to choose from. BORING

I enjoy the transcon flights. Don't have to deal with ORD, DEN or IAH!! Also you tend to get the bigger planes and as an added bonus, less flights.

Yep agreed. I enjoy the challenge of building routes on the transcon desks and seeing that plan come to fruition opposed to say WATRS where you only have like 6 routes to choose from. BORING
not to mention when watrs gets spanked by mother nature its utter chaos the whole shift vs transcons you can dodge dip duck dive and dodge TS activity

not to mention when watrs gets spanked by mother nature its utter chaos the whole shift vs transcons you can dodge dip duck dive and dodge TS activity
Until they publish a required reroute to east coast that sends you right through everything and every single captain calls complaining the route you filed sucks

Until they publish a required reroute to east coast that sends you right through everything and every single captain calls complaining the route you filed sucks

TCA is your friend. Otherwise, file on required route and then have them request a better route enroute.

Back