Tower visitation

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Question for you guys - I'm helping a group of boy scouts earn their aviation merit badge. I thought a trip to the tower at KPIE (Class D) would be a cool experience. Just wasn't sure how feasible this was. I went a couple years ago with my ground school class, but I wasn't sure if they allowed kids up there. This may be a request that I'll just have to send along to the tower folks at KPIE, but I thought I'd get an initial opinion from some of you folks.

Thanks!

I was in the exact same situation last year and we went on a tower tour with no problem. Just call ahead and schedule it so someone is available to be the "tour guide." They only allowed groups of 5 or 6 up at a time for about 20 min, so depending on how many you have you could be there a while.

A class "D" tower is not that hard to get a tour in. Just call the tower ahead of time and ask for a tour, let them know what date you were thinking, and about how many people will be on the tour.

The tour should not be a problem ... the main factors is the facility manager and alert color. One or two of the SECON colors suspends tours... though I can't for the life of me remember which color(s) it is.

Instead of St. Pete / Clearwater did you ever think about checking out TPA ??? They're a level 11 up/down (tower and tracon). I toured the place once waiting out a cancelled flight, you might be able to land a tour there. It might be more interesting for the kids seeing the radar room and tower. If need be PM me and I'll forward you some contact info.

Good Luck

Back