Thinking about giving up flying.

dcramer16

I feel like I'm going crazy. I've been on furlough for 6 months. I've made finding a job, a full time job, and still not much. Then a couple weeks ago, I applied for a job flying a Bonanza in NC for 45K/year. Not a dream job, but with a family all I need is something that will pay the bills, and something that will allow me to settle down and integrate myself into a community for years to come. I've got a kid who's school age, I'm in desperate need to settle down somewhere and grow roots...lol

I've never been good at being the "Squeaky Wheel" that gets the grease. When someone tells me to check back in two weeks, I normally wait two weeks, not two days, and of course, in two weeks, the position is always filled....Oh well. But in this case I was the best "squeaky wheel" I could be, and it worked. The guy said he was really impressed with me, and wished I was closer so I could be interviewed. I told him I would come out from Montana and would love to meet with him. He seemed pleased with that, but I could tell he didn't think I would come all the way out there. So, I went out there, drove about 2600 miles, and called him when I got into town. He seemed so excited I came all the way out, he acted like he was going to pee his pants. He invites me over to his house for breakfast the next morning to meet him and his wife.

So the next day I go for breakfast at his house. I'm not going to get into details of the interview just because there is too much to mention. But I have to say, it was the best interview of my life. There is no way I could have gone better.

For example, you know how sometimes you have to direct a conversation to be able to bring things up to make you look good? In this case I didn't even have to direct the conversation, they did it for me. For every subject they brought up about themselves, their hobbies, their work, or what they were looking for in a pilot, I was able to talk about so many things that seemed to earn me a few points each time. It couldn't have gone better. It almost wasn't even an interview. It was more like going over to breakfast and visiting with a few friends. So, two hours later, we're wrapping up and he tells me he's interviewed 4 other guys, and has one more to interview but out of the 6 of us, I'm on his "short list". He'll let me know in a few days.

I dropped by a Walgreens on my way out of town, got a really nice Thank You card and thanked them for breakfast and everything, and dropped it in the mail. I drove another 2600 miles home. By the way, I know you're wondering, why did I drive, why not fly? I get 36 mpg and a lot of free nights at hotels saved up on reward cards. It is expensive to fly out of Montana on the airlines, and it was actually way cheaper for me to drive. Plus I have clans and clans of family members in that area that I wanted to drop by and see.

So all in all, I spent over 70 hours and over 5000 miles driving in the 10 days I was gone from home. I get back home and hear nothing, and nothing, and nothing. So I called the guy up and checked in with him. He said "Well, I had no idea that I would get so many resumes, and I would have liked to hire everyone, but there was only one position to fill, and unfortunatly it's not gonna be you this time." At this time I felt like someone kicked me in the gut. I thought about ranting to him about my car ride, my hard work, dedication, the fact that I was over qualified for this position. But in the end, I politely thanked him, told him I hope his new pilots serves him well, and wished him all my best, and got off the phone....:banghead:

Fast forward 1 week, I hear through the Grapevine that the new pilot is a Regional Captain that is on furlough, and isn't even planning on staying there.:banghead:

For the last 6 months I have been telling myself everytime I don't get the job "Well, there's something better waiting around the corner." I have ALWAYS tried to keep a positive attitude about all this. Now I'm starting to notice that I'm not getting any of these jobs around the corner. I used to think it was hard work, honesty, integrity, and dedication that got you a job. Sorry to break it to you folks, but that's not how you get the job anymore. It's more about knowing the right people and/or being in the right place at the right time.

I'm not the type of person who thinks a job should be handed to me. And no, I don't think just because I drove across the country I "deserve" to have the job. I feel that the best person for the position should get the job and in this instance I know deep down that I was the right guy for this position. And I've never been the guy, never never never been the guy to sit around a sulk because I didn't get the job, or assume I would have been the best candidate. I've been shrugging my shoulders and brushing things off for the last six months, putting a smile on my face, telling my family it's going to be all right, telling myself that it's gonna be alright, that the right job will come along. TO HELL WITH IT. I'M SICK SICK SICK TO DEATH OF THIS POSITIVE ATTITUDE CRAP, AND MOST OF ALL I'm sick of this industry......[sigh]:( I've given the best I've got to give. If sweet talking this guy for a week, driving over 5000 miles and having the best interview of my life, if that isn't enough to get me a job, nothing is. That is truly the best I've got....:(

Glad to get that off my chest. Now it's time to sit down and think of where I'm gonna go from here. I heard Walmarts still hiring.....:crazy:

Where in NC?

On a side note I'll be honest, I don't think I would drive 5000 miles for a job interview. Also I don't know of any regionals that furloughed enough to have Captains on the street, so you might want to check that info.

Sorry to hear that, really I am. If flying is your passion then I would say stick it out. On the flip side this sort of thing happens in ALL industries. Last time I was layed off from my engineering job it took me 9 months to find something...as a temp...not as an engineer. It took me 2 yrs to work my way up again but I did it. While I was layed off I was working night sin a warehouse to provide something for the family. All I can say is that you will find a way to get through this and come out on top. [/positive crap :p] Good luck!

Obviously, these are not the best of times to be looking for employment and most people have had similar frustrations even in better times. I wish you the best of luck.

I can certainly understand your frustrations. I too have been spending a great deal of time looking for a new job. The company that I currently work for might not be in business too much longer, so I have spent every free minute that I have researching other jobs. Try to stay positive, as hard as that can be sometimes. Keep looking and eventually you will find something.

I just finished fililing for unemployment benefits, which may come in about 5 weeks. I feel for you and what you're going through. I have no idea what I'm going to do either. I don't like putting my family in this position.

It can be so frusterating and I can't put it into words.

I just finished fililing for unemployment benefits, which may come in about 5 weeks.

I'm already on my extention...lol

I have no idea what I'm going to do either. I don't like putting my family in this position.

Sadly, and I mean this in the best possible way I can, that's one major thing that helps me keep moving on. The thought that I'm not the only one. Of course I wish we could all have jobs, but if not, at least we're in it together. I used to have a group of pilot friends that were laid off. There were 9 of us, and every afternoon, after we did our job searching in the mornings, we would have a phone conference to tell each other what we found for the day. #8 just got a job last week, about the time I didn't get mine, so now I'm the last one left. I guess I kinda lost my support group, and probably why I'm feeling like giving up today.

It can be so frusterating and I can't put it into words.

:yeahthat:

Well I certainly hope that something comes your way or you are able to find some direction. Good Luck!

Dude I feel the exact same way. It sucks right now, I've applies, applied and applied some more but nothing. I have also gotten a few calls back but nothing ever materializes. I have even decided to look outside of flying but at least stay in the aviation field, like a management position, nothing. But I keep holding on and praying that something will come up, you can't quit, you gotta just be persistent. Oh and not to burst your bubble but Walmart isn't hiring either, already looked, well not down here in Florida at least.

I heartily encourage you all to remember this the next time it's time to vote. Think about what "the economy" really is (people exchanging goods and services), who profits from the "boom n bust" cycle, and whether either of the supposedly vastly different "major parties" everyone is always busily spending their time getting in pursefights about has any interest in stopping it...or perhaps quite the opposite?

Now, sorry for the thread-creep political stuff, and I won't mention it again, but in my judgment it bears a passing glance. No one can decide for you whether flying is worth all the insane sacrifice and personal trauma it seems like everyone goes through at least once. I will say that I don't see burning ludicrous amounts of fossil fuels to go places really fast as a "growth industry". If I were a bit younger, a bit less heavily invested in this industry, or had ahem, any other salable skills, I would be thinking real hard about how to get out.

dcramer16 I am in the same situation, except I'm coming up on 4 months of unemployment and don't have a family to look after. It truly sucks right now! And you are absolutely right when you said it is all about who you know in this industry and being at the right place at the right time. If there is a job openings somewhere, employers get swamped with resumes and can be as picky as they want, but most of the time they have either filled the position already or have somebody in mind before they even put the job on a job board. I thought about giving up on flying as a career myself, but I have invested too much energy and money and put up with a lot of BS to give up now. I'm certain this industry will turn around, it is only a matter of time. Right now, I can only hope to get a CFI job where I used to work a few years ago until things turn around.

Dont give up just yet, at least not entirely. Like others have said, no industry is doing well right now. It took me about 6 months to find my current job in the marketing, it is not what I wanted to do but it was pretty much all that was available at the time. Now, after 2 rounds of layoffs already, they are talking about more.

Think of the bright side. If you had a suport group of 8 others, they are 8 people who can help you get in where they are working. Keep in touch with the person you interviewed with. If it is true he hired a furloughed regional captain, he will be one of the first recalled. The guy may be looking for a pilot again soon, continue to be the squeaky wheel, let him know you are still interested.

In the grand scheme, 6 months is not that long. I know it seems that it is though. I was out 4 1/2 years. THe first year I worked any job I could find, mostly construction, a lot of it under the table. It was just over one year before I found a decent paying job in a office to support a family of 6. Fast forward 3 years and I got laid off from that job when they filed for BK. Back to the grind. It was 6 more months of grunt work before I got recalled.

The point of this ramble? No job is for life. Be prepared to roll with the punches. Getting turned down for a job is comparable to getting punched in the gut. But you can't let it get you down. Ya gotta get back up again. There were many black and bleak days, a lot of tears and curses. But on a V1 cut or windshear, do you just give up in the middle, or do you claw and fight for every knot and foot of altitude?

Now, to make you feel better, I'll give you an example of someone pulling a dumbA move. Guy gets furloughed from a legacy in his first year. Ends up getting an interview with Coca Cola's flight dept. 3 months later. Is offered a job at the end of said interview, contigent on resigning his seniority number. Decides that the furlough won't be that long, and still hasn't scratched that itch to be an airline pilot. Kicks himself for the next 4 1/2 years. But in the end, it worked out.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this! I ran out of money in Nov, didn't have enough to get my CFI, and got let go from my job in Nov. Sooo I have been looking for work ever since. I know the feeling, every day you wake up excited that today will be THE DAY that you get that great job. And by the end of the day you feel deflated. I agree with everyone else on this site that everyone is hurting right now. But we must hang in there and survive. My girlfriend said it best to me the other day, "If you don't fly for a living are you really gonna go back to sitting at a desk after you have had a taste of flying?". I just had to scratch my head at that and agree, find anything to pay the bills and keep my eye on the flying opportunities. I can't give it up!
Hang in there dcramer16....

Glad to get that off my chest. Now it's time to sit down and think of where I'm gonna go from here. I heard Walmarts still hiring.....:crazy:[/QUOTE]

Man that blows. I'm sorry someone from my home state would do that. At the end of the day, you'll make the right decision. Heck maybe some sort of part time gig for the near term?

Thanks for the support everyone, I appreciate it. One of my main concerns is wondering if I'll even be able to get back in. As I said in another post somewhere, I haven't flown for the last 6 months, who would want to give me a job now. CFI'ing is out of the question. I finished school broke and unable to finish my CFI, got my time built flying pipeline patrol, and moved on with my career by flying freight for Airnet. So living on unemployment I haven't had enough to even rent a plane let alone get my CFI. The two nearest airports seem like ghost towns and are an hours drive away, so I can't even hang out at the airport and beg someone to let me go with them. So long story short, I have no way of getting recent flight time, and without any kind of recent flight time, I'm afraid I won't be able to get a job, regardless of my total time, and my work record.

dcramer - that's horrible.

I've watched you (and others) go through this first-hand, and it sucks that it's been this challenging for you.

Honestly? I'd quit flying for a living - I know from our previous conversations that you have other very marketable skills. Have you considered college? When the economy gets back up and going it will be the qualified people who will get the jobs. Giving yourself every advantage to a decent job with a steady check is definitely to your benefit.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but there is happiness to be found in life outside of the cockpit too. I said not even a year ago that I didn't think I could ever walk away from flying. I did and I can tell you it was hard and also very relieving at the same time.

Finally, best of luck to you and the many others that are in your same shoes.

I know what you're going through man (minus having to feed any kids, but I've got a wife sitting in the other room). I left Amflight for ExpressJet in July of 2007 thinking to myself, "I just got back together with my girlfriend from college, I'll move to SLC, commute to LAX or ONT, hold a line for maybe 4 years before I upgrade and live the easy life. I won't make tons of cash, but hey, the schedule should be decent and I can ski a lot."

Reality was a lot harsher than that. I never got based in LAX or ONT, and instead commuted to reserve in Newark for 14 months. After that, I got furloughed.

Since I was furloughed in October, I've gone from being an airline pilot, to unemployed, to a ski instructor, to driving a mower at a golf course. The only way I got either of these jobs was because of who I knew; my wife had worked at the same ski resort for 4 years, and amazingly, she worked at the same golf course too.

Simply put, I've been doing whatever it is I've had to do to make sure the bills get paid since I got furloughed. The work hasn't exactly been the most amazing stuff ever (but you can't beat the hours), but it is what it is. I could have gone back to Amflight, but we would have had to move to Oakland or Portland, and I wasn't willing to do that.

The end result? I'm out. I've been accepted to law school for the fall of 2009, and in three years I'll have a new career. I'll be on furlough for years with the way I'm figuring things, FOR A REGIONAL. In the end, this isn't worth it to me.

I'll get my flight instructor certificates current, and start instructing again as soon as I can. Teaching, weather at Skymates or Amflight, was some of the most fun I've had in an airplane, I'm looking forward to doing that again. But what I'm REALLY looking forward to is being able to do that on the side while not paying my bills by flying airplanes for a living. I think that might be the ticket right there, I'll let you know in a few years.

Good luck with whatever you do. I think this career is harder than most to get really established into, and that first decade seems to be fairly challanging. If you can make it past it, it can pay out. Otherwise? Well, you get people like me.

I heartily encourage you all to remember this the next time it's time to vote. Think about what "the economy" really is (people exchanging goods and services), who profits from the "boom n bust" cycle, and whether either of the supposedly vastly different "major parties" everyone is always busily spending their time getting in pursefights about has any interest in stopping it...or perhaps quite the opposite?

Now, sorry for the thread-creep political stuff, and I won't mention it again, but in my judgment it bears a passing glance. No one can decide for you whether flying is worth all the insane sacrifice and personal trauma it seems like everyone goes through at least once. I will say that I don't see burning ludicrous amounts of fossil fuels to go places really fast as a "growth industry". If I were a bit younger, a bit less heavily invested in this industry, or had ahem, any other salable skills, I would be thinking real hard about how to get out.

Good point - except both parties are funded by corporate interests and greed. Not voting seems like the only way to protect yourself.

Back