Thinking about giving up flying.

These posts should be required reading for all those that would like to pursue flying for a living. I was lucky in that I had heard all the good and the bad while I was growing up, so I resisted (several times over) the urge to throw away what I have now to chase the "ultimate job (insert your dream job here)". Professional flying is a fantastic job, but it can certainly come at a VERY high cost. I have had to change my dreams and aspirations COUNTLESS times because of this crazy thing called "life". I would love to know the percentage of people whose long-range plans ACTAULLY turn out as planned. I would guess less than 5%...but that is just a guess.

History will teach us that things WILL change and well in the world of flying, I don't see that it'll get much worse than it is now. Lots of people are on the street now but, people will start retiring in a few years, and it seems like the only people training are "not from around here" and lots of people are leaving the profession forever. So...I tend to think that once we break through this solid deck of IMC, there will be clear skies and a pretty smooth ride. Sure, there may be occasional light chop and even some moderate turbulence, but it'll be all good.

Anyone see the May issue of AOPA Flight Training wherein Wayne Phillips blasted Capt. Sullenberger for telling the truth about his career? I thought that was kind of lame.

I'm not sure why, but you always seem to be trying to justify your decision not to pursue professional aviation. We get it, you don't think you'll make as much money doing whatever it is you do. I hate to break it to you, but that's pretty much a given for any career change.

Baloney.

If I decided to become a doctor, a lawyer, get an MBA, or go sell credit default swaps, I'd make more money than I make now.

It's great that you said, yeah, I love this so much that I'm willing to go back to wages I got when I was fresh out of college.

But don't act as if changing careers means you have to do that. That's simply not true.

Yep, that's him. I just didn't want to give his name on a public forum.

You are right about the over-time. Unfortunately, here at Delta if you are junior it is hard to get. But, once a line-holder picking up a "Green-Slip" (double-time) here and there will add a butt-load of cash to your paycheck.

I have done the LCC/short-haul stuff for ten years, the SWA guys can have it. The International thing makes it almost like you are not coming into work. Plus, I am home with my little girl more than half of the month.

Tell Tom I'll see him at JFK.

Joel

I'll tell D-Day you said hello, if I see him before I leave. I visit him every other month being he is seemingly a busy man. I leave for Iraq next week so we'll see. He loves his travels.....if I can get past his fighter stories with his hands, he'll share his trips.

DC,

Don't get me wrong, if you were a young single guy with no family, house or major obligations I would say stick it out. But, you have other people(ie, family) that are dependent on you to provide food/shelter for them. As a career changer who did it also, I now realize the only person that truly benefited from me flying a jet was, well me. I loved the flying, sipping my drink watching the sunrise/sunset and hanging with the crews. Of course, my friends and family saw none of that. All my family/friends got to enjoy was the low pay, me not being home, missed events and the lack of stability the job brought. People can say its whining and you should've known what you were getting into but whatever. Most of the people saying that stuff haven't even flown the line. Take care of your friends and family first. They are the ones that were there when you were born and they will be the ones that will be there when you move on from this life... not the airline execs.

Baloney.

If I decided to become a doctor, a lawyer, get an MBA, or go sell credit default swaps, I'd make more money than I make now.

It's great that you said, yeah, I love this so much that I'm willing to go back to wages I got when I was fresh out of college.

But don't act as if changing careers means you have to do that. That's simply not true.

tonyw,

Whatever makes you feel better. Like I said, we get it - you decided not to go into professional flying due to money. Your attitude comes off as very condescending... It's like you're trying to justify your decision not to fly professionally to everybody. You know what? Beyond the money, maybe you wouldn't have even made it through your commercial checkride. You'll never know. Frankly I could care less whether you want fly professionally or not.

I've done the career change, and I made pretty decent money right off the bat in aviation. My first year W-2s were around $45k. Not a ridiculous amount of money, but not bad. I didn't go into debt up to my eye balls, and actually paid off my car and credit cards before quitting my desk job. I actually have more money in the bank now than when I was working as an engineer.

Regarding the MBA and credit default swaps... Sorry, but I know plenty of people that have graduated with an MBA, law degree, etc. that go through unpaid internships, very low paying entry level jobs, working 70+ hrs wk.

Chances are that somebody entering aviation are not going to get a lucky break. Maybe they'll be stuck somewhere up north and aren't flexible in their location, so they're forced to make $20k/yr. It's a gamble, but that's life. I'm 32 and have some life experience, so I guess I kinda figured that out. Good luck with your office job.

You know, when you're younger, they tell you to do what you love and the money will come.

Then you get older and you know that's absolute BS.

When you've got a mortgage to pay and don't like living one or two paychecks or one medical mishap away from bankruptcy, that do what you love stuff starts to sound really trite.

The solution?

Work to live. Don't live to work.

I could not have said it better myself.

Back