Where the laziest pilots should go

The one thing I don't think you will enjoy is the 4 days a month you lose to sitting around airports, delays, and thinking about the commute. If you lived near a major city, id say yeah go for it. But I don't know if it would be worth it to you to deal with the commute.

That being said, our 121 has a decent sick policy, so even if I am scheduled to work 14 days a month, I can easily make that into 11 days. Really helps the QOL while not sacrificing pay.

Reactions: jrh
Thanks for the insight, everyone. I got excited about the thought of Omni for a minute, but the latest word over at APC says they are consistently on the road 15-17 days/month now. I'd love to fly the big iron and the pay is certainly better, but the schedule is probably a deal breaker. Sounds like a couple of you guys were doing it during the "good old days." If that era ever returns I'd be inclined to go for it.

I'm happy to hear any other thoughts as well. This is exactly why I started the thread, I knew I would get some great perspectives.

Here's a thought bouncing around in my brain...if you're not after money, and not after flight time, and want the absolute lowest number of days to work per month, which LCC/major/legacy would you try to get on with?

Here's the spot I'm in and maybe some of you can give me advice. 7500 TT, 2500 turbojet PIC from Citations, the rest of my time in various piston airplanes. Training captain and check airman for a smallish but growing 135 operation (about 50-60 pilots). I worked for Cape Air (scheduled 135) and my current operation, but no 121 experience. I currently work 16-17 days/month on average, total compensation of about $140k/year. Probably not going to get significantly more money or time off because the business model does not support it. Through good luck and good planning, I'll probably hit our "financial independence" goals within ten years if I just keep doing what I'm doing.

I live far from any airline bases and don't want to move. Nearest airline service would be Omaha, Nebraska, or Kansas City a couple hours away. Wife and two young children at home that I'd like to spend as much time as possible around.

I never thought I'd be in a spot to consider major or legacy airlines, but here I am, with friends saying they'd help me get in somewhere if I want it.

Do I want it? I don't know. I don't care about what I fly, or if I'm in charge, or domestic/international. At this point I'm focusing on trading as little time as possible for at least the same pay I'm currently making, in the near term rather than at the end of my life when both me and my kids are old.

So here's the priorities--over the next ten years, make $1.5 million while giving up no more than 14 days/month of time. For example, work 10 or 12 days per month and waste 2-4 days to commuting, I'm still giving up less of my life than I currently give up to work.

Is this possible at any airline? How little can a pilot work at an airline and still remain employed?
Maybe get your current employer to pay you more or work you less. These guys are starting off at 150k first year and 170k second year with a 8 on 6 off schedule.

Back