Sukhoi Superjet 100 missing

You've obviously never dealt with third world controllers. They have a habit of approving everything you ask for and assume the pilot is aware of MEAs, MVAs and all terrain. It is the pilots job to avoid, not the controllers to keep the pilots away from terrain

Fair point I haven't, but in first world countries if I issue an altitude below those, I'd be in a world of •

Understood! I'm not nor did I intend to contend that point, besides the rules that's just common sense.

I would consider however the way this works on this side of the marble, with both pilots and controllers sharing their own responsibility enhances safety.

I'm not saying they are supposed to do it differently in Indonesia either, but if you believe the media...

Understood! I'm not nor did I intend to contend that point, besides the rules that's just common sense.

I would consider however the way this works on this side of the marble, with both pilots and controllers sharing their own responsibility enhances safety.

I'm not saying they are supposed to do it differently in Indonesia either, but if you believe the media...
It's not that they do it differently, it's more a case of antiquated systems and less experience coupled with poor training and language skills. The assumption on TW controllers part is that the pilots can see what is in front of them and know where they are. Case in point, the AA crash in Cali. The controllers gave them a direct with a descent even though they weren't where they were supposed to be.

It's not that they do it differently, it's more a case of antiquated systems and less experience coupled with poor training and language skills. The assumption on TW controllers part is that the pilots can see what is in front of them and know where they are. Case in point, the AA crash in Cali. The controllers gave them a direct with a descent even though they weren't where they were supposed to be.

Well, to be fair here, that was 100% the crews fault, they had plugged in the wrong NDB into the FMS which took them way off course over the mountain range. The controller had no radar, and thus has to rely on position reports, based on position reports alone, the aircraft was clear to descend in that particular case, the way that statement is worded it sounds as if the controller should have somehow known where the airplane was.

Indonesian controllers can and will do anything you can ever imagine.
Sometimes making you hold for some guy who is 10 minutes away from landing, other times just vector jet traffic right on top of you when you are on final.
Flying here is more like being alone with someone at the other end trying to mess things up

Back