Boutique Airlines. Plane’s emergency door flies off just before takeoff

Oxman

My wife would have peed herself then made me rent a car forever after this if she was in this seat.

1620485486368.png

IRONWOOD, MI -- A Wakefield man plans to take his concerns to the Gogebic County Board after he says an emergency exit door on his Boutique Airlines flight ripped off the plane just moments before his flight from Minneapolis to Ironwood was to take off Wednesday. Tom Yon tells KBJR-TV 6 in Duluth he was seated just feet from the door on a Boutique Airlines small, 8-person plane when the door flew off just before take off. Yon described a sound of a loud bang and then the door was gone and his carry-on bag being sucked out of the opening. The Metropolitan Airports Commission confirmed the incident happened around 3 p.m. Wednesday. They say the plane never actually left the ground after the door came off. The plane returned to the gate, and the door was found nearby. Yon says he plans to take his concerns to the Gogebic County Board during a public meeting Monday morning. Boutique Airlines has yet to comment regarding the incident.

The emergency door of a small plane flew out of its frame and onto the runway on a Minnesota airport shortly before takeoff Wednesday, where one passenger estimates the aircraft was moving around 100 mph when he heard a “loud bang.”

Tom Yon told KBJR-TV that the suction from the missing door lifted a bag that was right by his side and tossed it straight out of the plane without his noticing, leaving him to wonder what would have happened if one of his fellow passengers would have had a baby on their lap.

“It was scary, it was scary,” said Yon, who said he was seated just feet from what suddenly became a gaping hole in the side of the roughly 8-person plane.
Yon said the bag was returned to him about 90 minutes later.

The Metropolitan Airports Commission reportedly confirmed the incident happened around 3 p.m., adding that the plane aborted its launch and returned to a gate at Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport. The door was reportedly found nearby.
Boutique Airlines, which operated the flight from Minneapolis to Ironwood, Mich., did not reply to a message from KBJR-TV.

Yon said he and other passengers spent $400 on a car to make the roughly 180-mile trip to their destination. No one was reported injured.

Last edited:
Tom Yon told KBJR-TV that the suction from the missing door lifted a bag that was right by his side and tossed it straight out of the plane without his noticing, leaving him to wonder what would have happened if one of his fellow passengers would have had a baby on their lap.

I hope he doesn't think about what would happen to that baby in turbulence or an actual accident.

I'm also curious about the dynamics of if the bag was truly sucked out or was simply leaning against the door and fell out.

From skydiving, I've seen it's usually work to get out of an airplane. You don't get sucked out, you have to intentionally climb out. At least that's how it is in popular jump planes like the 182, Twin Otter, and Caravan. Maybe the Pilatus is different.

I hope he doesn't think about what would happen to that baby in turbulence or an actual accident.

I'm also curious about the dynamics of if the bag was truly sucked out or was simply leaning against the door and fell out.

From skydiving, I've seen it's usually work to get out of an airplane. You don't get sucked out, you have to intentionally climb out. At least that's how it is in popular jump planes like the 182, Twin Otter, and Caravan. Maybe the Pilatus is different.

Some planes start pressuring on the T/O roll at a certain speed or TLA. I don’t know how the pressurization works in a Pilatus, but it could have some differential pressure that could have shoved the door open. No idea how much Delta P it would take to create enough air movement to “suck” stuff out.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how that door could be ripped off without some pretty serious violence. Even unlatched, I would expect it to just sort of sit there until you had a pretty good amount of speed going.

You know how accurate aviation news stories are. I'm guessing "the plane never left the ground" may be a technicality vis a vis the need for clean underwear.

Some planes start pressuring on the T/O roll at a certain speed or TLA. I don’t know how the pressurization works in a Pilatus, but it could have some differential pressure that could have shoved the door open. No idea how much Delta P it would take to create enough air movement to “suck” stuff out.
It does start pressurizing a little, but you have to figure unless the bag went out as soon as the door opened there wasn’t any differential left, that thing is huge

Wow, that’s definitely sketchy.

My wife and I just did a couple of Botique Air flights in Colorado, and I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the entire experience was.

The pilatus maintenance and inspection requirements on the cargo door are excruciatingly detailed. If there was a maintenance issue involved it would be interesting to see how Boutique managed to screw it up.

American 191 and Alaska 261 are accidents that happened because a detailed maintenance procedure was simplified with internal approval.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Setting popcorn popper to slow roll...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back