Sukhoi Superjet 100 missing

From CNN: Wreckage of a Russian passenger jet that disappeared earlier today over Indonesia has been found, a local official says.

The subsequent pictures had the Navs up and working. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Never a good thing to hear, RIP to all those on board.

Doug, not working! Days off man, back on sunday night, then Monday day!

As to the wreckage, seems to me to be in line with a highspeed direct impact when you see the wreckage pattern, size, considering proximity to ridge, I wonder if they were trying to skirt the top and misjudged.

I'm assuming a new plane such as this would have terrain radar and the usual GPWS warnings, if turned on. (Maybe turned off by crew for fancy demonstration flights?)

Alternate scenario, cloud deck of 8000 feet, pilots request 6000 to get under cloud for their googly eyed passengers, crew not aware of Mount Salak, what surprises me more is that ATC would clear an airplane to descend to 6000 with a 7200 foot mountain in the area, the MEA's and MVA's should be much higher than that.

there's more to this story than just flying into a mountain

I'll also add I'm currently batting 0/64 in guessing accident causes within the first 2 days :ooh:

Okay... I'm adding one to my unPC list (1. Don't let a Nigerian handle money 2. Don't drive with a CHICOM 3. Don't drink wi a Russian). Don't fly on a Russian airliner.

Allegedly a photo of the crew right before departure...

photo-provided-sergey-pilot.jpg

So is this CFIT or has anyone heard anything else? The news isn't really saying much, atleast that I have seen.

Sad day, prayers go out to their families

Seems strange that a crew that experienced would fly into a mountain that easily.

But also take into account this very vague comparison: The Tu-144 demonstration flight was probably also performed by experienced crew, and they blew that sucker up by trying too hard to impress everybody.
Seems to me the an overwealming majority of high profile CFIT's involve experienced pilots:
-The Skymaster near PSP
-The Twin Commander in PHX
-The AA 757 in Colombia
etc.

what surprises me more is that ATC would clear an airplane to descend to 6000 with a 7200 foot mountain in the area, the MEA's and MVA's should be much higher than that.

You've obviously never dealt with third world controllers. They have a habit of approving everything you ask for and assume the pilot is aware of MEAs, MVAs and all terrain. It is the pilots job to avoid, not the controllers to keep the pilots away from terrain

Back