Still worth it?

Just a side note about the union bit, having a union doesn’t mean all butterfly and rainbows. Just look at what Spirit dispatchers have been dealing with having PAFCA. They are still the only major airline without a new contract/extension after all the others got theirs. To me it’s more telling how the airline itself treats their employees.
This right here. Look at the regional airlines with union contracts...they are underpaid, overworked, and the unions actively sabotage their own members. (There are two guys at my shop that the union actively targeted to be fired in cooperation with the airline simply because they weren't overly popular...one was brand new...the other was a known problem for a couple of years...but still...the idea that someone from the union would say, "let's do something about this guy" is abhorrent to me.)

Regional airline dispatchers are expected to cut between 45 and 70 releases per day...flight follow all of those...and live on $20 an hour.

And if you think a 4 day work week is realistic...you haven't been introduced to Junior Manning, just yet...or the need for overtime.

The regional unions are weak...and treat their members like ATM machines. IMHO.

This right here. Look at the regional airlines with union contracts...they are underpaid, overworked, and the unions actively sabotage their own members. (There are two guys at my shop that the union actively targeted to be fired in cooperation with the airline simply because they weren't overly popular...one was brand new...the other was a known problem for a couple of years...but still...the idea that someone from the union would say, "let's do something about this guy" is abhorrent to me.)

Regional airline dispatchers are expected to cut between 45 and 70 releases per day...flight follow all of those...and live on $20 an hour.

And if you think a 4 day work week is realistic...you haven't been introduced to Junior Manning, just yet...or the need for overtime.

The regional unions are weak...and treat their members like ATM machines. IMHO.
The problem with regional unions is that most people aren't planning on staying around long enough to care, and don't want to make waves, lest it hurt their chances to move on. Especially when they are at a wholly-owned and hope to move up to the major.

Back