Still worth it?

Jay13

Given the slow down in hiring, would you still recommend dispatching as a career? What is an estimated timeline for getting to a major? What are realistic expectations for a first job?

I totally recommend it! The pay is decent, the benefits are great, and it's much dominated by unions, which means job security and extra perks if you're into that kind of thing. Don't let a little hiring slowdown scare you away if you're seriously considering this for the long haul.

The hiring frenzy over the last few years has been quite a roller coaster. However, we might see things slow down to the hiring levels we had before 2020. Even then, breaking into a major wasn't challenging; it was just a matter of being flexible and putting in your time. Depending on what actually happens with hiring, landing a gig with a major could take 2-5 years. But keep in mind, the so-called 'slowdown' hasn't hit us yet. I'd recommend starting off with a regional gig, as many consider it a stepping stone toward advancing their career to the next level so the connections you make there can be meaningful. They might not be glamorous, but I don't know of an industry that is when you're just starting out, especially when the only upfront costs are a few grand and a two-month commitment.

From a QOL perspective, I wouldnt recommend the career. Too many have been hired and seniority is everything.

Money might be good but major airlines are all in high cost of living areas where the salary doesnt go very far.

A person can do just fine no matter where they live, if they think smart and keep their eye on their long term goals. My net worth is close to 2mil but one would never know it by looking at me. I can tell you this - it isn't sitting in the driveway.

From a QOL perspective, I wouldnt recommend the career. Too many have been hired and seniority is everything.

Money might be good but major airlines are all in high cost of living areas where the salary doesnt go very far.
Idk, I'm pretty low on the seniority list, working midnights, and this is the best QOL I've had. 4 day work weeks with 3-4 day weekends beats tearing my body up on the ramp for poverty wages, while working another part-time job and doing Doordash and still barely getting by.

Idk, I'm pretty low on the seniority list, working midnights, and this is the best QOL I've had. 4 day work weeks with 3-4 day weekends beats tearing my body up on the ramp for poverty wages, while working another part-time job and doing Doordash and still barely getting by.
Wholeheartedly agree. The starting QoL at a regional is an order of magnitude better than what you get at other $20/hour jobs, or even jobs that surpass that - speaking from experience. And it only gets better from there.

I also feel like because we work with pilots, who have one of the best-paying jobs in the country - hell, the entire world - we get our baseline skewed by that. We're still well above average; with a long career in this profession you will easily be in the top 10% of earners in the country. And that's assuming you stay in dispatch, and ignore all the other doors that will open to you during your career, of which there will be many.

Given the slow down in hiring, would you still recommend dispatching as a career? What is an estimated timeline for getting to a major? What are realistic expectations for a first job?
No good careers come without hurdles. Keep your head on a swivel and keep learning. The opportunity will come your way. Want to be a doctor? You have to go to school, and complete years of residency making Breadcrumbs until you're done. Same with every other career.

As for time span, took me 4-5 years to make it to a major. Realistically speaking. Hiring is slowing down again but there will be opportunities if you're willing to put in your time.

QoL for me has been through the roof ever since I've made it to a major. Of course this is subjective. Regional pay of 20/hr for a few years and then majors. You can choose to make 100k one year and then choose to work more to hit over 200k the next year. It's doable. Realistically speaking, it's more likely for me to make 200k this year than not with OT.

Goodluck

Speaking from personal experience... to anyone considering doing this job. Maybe don't delete the Dasher/Uber/Lyft Driver App when you first start out at a regional. ;)

At a regional you’re working 10 hr shifts and making $20+ an hour, but most regionals you’re working 4 day work weeks with 3 day weekends to side hussle if wanted, while having CASS and flight benefits to travel. But… eventually you prob want to be making at least $80k minimum these expensive days and with the hiring slow down there’s the risk you get stuck there for many years. Maybe you love it though and choose to stay or it’s your home state, that’s totally fine. They’re not horrible jobs. If you have the opportunity to go into a different career field though making good, livable pay and are able to save for retirement even after age 40+, then keep your options open. Or maybe you prefer to work a M-F, 8 hr a day, 5 day work week and get 2 day weekends. You’d get holidays off and the same schedule as most “regular” adults out there.

That being said, I’m pretty low on seniority and am on relief schedule at my major. Yes it sucks not knowing your schedule more than 1-2 months out, and not getting the shift you want every time… but so far I’ve been able to get lines that on average have a block of about 5-7 days off at least once or twice a month and still have 2-4 days off in between shifts. We make six figures and technically work part time. You have free time to travel the world, pick up OT or pursue other passions. There’s definitely worse gigs out there, even for us lowly junior folks. I’m not in my 20s either but it doesn’t matter how old you are, it all depends on your goals and what you want. Personally at my legacy, working 4 day work weeks, 8 hr shifts with large blocks of time off every month while making that money has been life changing. Even if I have to do midnights occasionally (my non preferred shift, but some people love them). And so far, I have been able to grab quite a few AMs or PMs as well. Even at my age it’s much better than starting over at an entry level 9-5 that requires a degree I may not have and/or years of experience, but still possibly only pays $20-28+/- an hour until you work your way up. None of this is to brag, it’s to simply show what you could potentially have or not have. What do you want for yourself down the road? And where are you willing to possibly live long term?

Yes it sucks not knowing your schedule more than 1-2 months out, and not getting the shift you want every time…
Just a side note, with essentially every single service job people constantly compare regional pay to, you're gonna have unpredictable hours, and you will be lucky to get your schedule two weeks in advance, let alone two months. You won't have weekends off, you won't have most holidays off (if any), and you won't feel fulfilled working those weekends, and working those holidays - it doesn't feel like you're really helping anyone or achieving anything. You are completely replaceable and will be treated like it by both the customers and the management/ownership. There will be labor violations, and you will suck it up to keep your job. You will move to a new job, expecting better, and it will be the same thing.

That's what I mean about dispatch having insane QoL even at the entry level. I feel like some people here, even people who know we have it good, don't really quite grasp just how good. Yes, you can get an entry-level job in service work and get paid more than dispatching at a regional. You will also be miserable. It's for you to decide whether that's worth it; for me, it wasn't.

At a regional you’re working 10 hr shifts and making $20+ an hour, but most regionals you’re working 4 day work weeks with 3 day weekends to side hussle if wanted, while having CASS and flight benefits to travel. But… eventually you prob want to be making at least $80k minimum these expensive days and with the hiring slow down there’s the risk you get stuck there for many years. Maybe you love it though and choose to stay or it’s your home state, that’s totally fine. They’re not horrible jobs. If you have the opportunity to go into a different career field though making good, livable pay and are able to save for retirement even after age 40+, then keep your options open. Or maybe you prefer to work a M-F, 8 hr a day, 5 day work week and get 2 day weekends. You’d get holidays off and the same schedule as most “regular” adults out there.

That being said, I’m pretty low on seniority and am on relief schedule at my major. Yes it sucks not knowing your schedule more than 1-2 months out, and not getting the shift you want every time… but so far I’ve been able to get lines that on average have a block of about 5-7 days off at least once or twice a month and still have 2-4 days off in between shifts. We make six figures and technically work part time. You have free time to travel the world, pick up OT or pursue other passions. There’s definitely worse gigs out there, even for us lowly junior folks. I’m not in my 20s either but it doesn’t matter how old you are, it all depends on your goals and what you want. Personally at my legacy, working 4 day work weeks, 8 hr shifts with large blocks of time off every month while making that money has been life changing. Even if I have to do midnights occasionally (my non preferred shift, but some people love them). And so far, I have been able to grab quite a few AMs or PMs as well. Even at my age it’s much better than starting over at an entry level 9-5 that requires a degree I may not have and/or years of experience, but still possibly only pays $20-28+/- an hour until you work your way up. None of this is to brag, it’s to simply show what you could potentially have or not have. What do you want for yourself down the road? And where are you willing to possibly live long term?

Yeah anyone who isn't happy at a Major has other issues they should be looking at. Nothing is perfect but you are unionized, make 6 figures, have unlimited non rev travel, unlimited trades and have a decent company match.

Could it be better? Sure. Everywhere could. That's what contract negotiations are for. Go ask a non union person how their annual performance evaluation went and if they can expect a raise over inflation. Go ask 80% of Americans who hate their job how working 40hrs a week is going for them.

Dispatch is not only fulfilling but it allows you to work a multitude of jobs, regions, select positions and can allow you (and maybe your family) see the world. AND you're home every night.

Anyone who wants to get into dispatch should. There will always be retirements. Some majors have just cross the threshold of <50% of their dispatchers older than 50 years old. That means tons of retirements in the next 10-15 years.

Yeah anyone who isn't happy at a Major has other issues they should be looking at. Nothing is perfect but you are unionized, make 6 figures, have unlimited non rev travel, unlimited trades and have a decent company match.

Could it be better? Sure. Everywhere could. That's what contract negotiations are for. Go ask a non union person how their annual performance evaluation went and if they can expect a raise over inflation. Go ask 80% of Americans who hate their job how working 40hrs a week is going for them.

Dispatch is not only fulfilling but it allows you to work a multitude of jobs, regions, select positions and can allow you (and maybe your family) see the world. AND you're home every night.

Anyone who wants to get into dispatch should. There will always be retirements. Some majors have just cross the threshold of <50% of their dispatchers older than 50 years old. That means tons of retirements in the next 10-15 years.

Just a side note about the union bit, having a union doesn’t mean all butterfly and rainbows. Just look at what Spirit dispatchers have been dealing with having PAFCA. They are still the only major airline without a new contract/extension after all the others got theirs. To me it’s more telling how the airline itself treats their employees.

Back