Still worth it?

I was at my current job less than 6 months before I was casually asked if I knew someone who had applied for the next class that I had worked with previously, by the person doing the hiring. When your resume is in a stack of dozens/hundreds that all generally look the same, having someone vouch that you are a decent human is crucial.

So.... Have a REPUTATION for doing your job and being friendly?? Reputation matters in this industry. That's not to say it's a popularity contest but rather a reputation for work ethic, teamwork, approachability etc etc. If you think these things aren't important in this industry you're dead wrong. I have given negative reviews about former coworkers when management have asked for input and likewise given rave reviews about others. Negative reviews don't get you hired. Reputation.
“Don't worry so much about cultivating a reputation as just coming in, doing your job, and being affable.”

I feel like we’re saying the same thing.

“Don't worry so much about cultivating a reputation as just coming in, doing your job, and being affable.”

I feel like we’re saying the same thing.
We're not defining reputation the same. Reputation IS important and so is networking. Probably more so than most industries due to the small size.

reputation and networking does matter. now you don't have to go kissing anyone's ass, but just don't burn any bridges. when hiring does slow down, like it is now, knowing the right people will give you an advantage over others.

reputation and networking does matter. now you don't have to go kissing anyone's ass, but just don't burn any bridges. when hiring does slow down, like it is now, knowing the right people will give you an advantage over others.
Hiring is in a dip right now because of the need to move everyone through some new version of flight software...digesting all of those new hires at the end of last year takes some time.

Honestly...dispatch at the regional level is just gossipy...it's something I bite my tongue with every day...and I'm so sick of biting my tongue, it's unreal.

If dispatch at the legacy/major is like this...it's not something i would like anyway.

My graduate degree is in a world so small there are 250 of us internationally that hold similar credentials...for around 35 jobs.

Hiring is in a dip right now because of the need to move everyone through some new version of flight software...digesting all of those new hires at the end of last year takes some time.

Honestly...dispatch at the regional level is just gossipy...it's something I bite my tongue with every day...and I'm so sick of biting my tongue, it's unreal.

If dispatch at the legacy/major is like this...it's not something i would like anyway.

My graduate degree is in a world so small there are 250 of us internationally that hold similar credentials...for around 35 jobs.
Well yeah, the regionals are gossipy because it's a bunch of college age kids. The majors are significantly less gossipy.

You’re not wrong at a regional there can definitely be some big egos, attitude and snarkiness abounds. As somebody mentioned, majority of people at regionals are younger and sometimes the maturity reflects. And your working with a much smaller group. But getting to a legacy the difference was like night and day. You’re working with 500-550 dxers, some of them were there during 9/11 and earlier. They’ve been there since before the last major mergers and have seen and dealt with a lot. Nobody cares if you were a coordinator/sector sup or the most popular/powerful person at your regional. You’re working with people ranging from their 20s to their 70s. People come in and do their job, and overall they work well together. I still have not met half the dispatchers at mine after over a year, and I still don’t even know most the sector managers/coordinators because they stay in their area and don’t walk over and micromanage us (for the most part) like they did at regionals. We are our own bosses and have the power to do our job. Most of the truly good people I knew from my regional have gone onto bigger better things. But some of those with the biggest mouths, worst attitudes, who thought they were hot $h!t were only big fish in a very small pond at the regional and guess what? They are still there. Turns out their bad attitudes did bite them in the ass, and I know for a fact some of them have applied multiple times to the legacies over the last few years, continuing to be passed up because of it. Even after this huge hiring frenzy. Always watch how you treat people because you never know who ends up where, and who can help or hurt you to get a job down the road. Stay focused, keep your head up and keep professional because it’s a different ball game, attitude and atmosphere in the legacies/majors.

I may have talked about this before.

Also remember your manners/habits. While working at my 2nd airline, my boss came down to me, showed me a resume of someone I knew and worked with at my previous airline. He asked if we should hire this person? I flat out said "No!", without hesitation. Of course he asked why. Not a bad dispatcher, yet one day we were both working the same shift, said individual decided to clip their toe nails at work. Yes you read that correctly.

I can put up with a lot of things but that is not going to be one of them.

Wasn't hired.

I may have talked about this before.

Also remember your manners/habits. While working at my 2nd airline, my boss came down to me, showed me a resume of someone I knew and worked with at my previous airline. He asked if we should hire this person? I flat out said "No!", without hesitation. Of course he asked why. Not a bad dispatcher, yet one day we were both working the same shift, said individual decided to clip their toe nails at work. Yes you read that correctly.

I can put up with a lot of things but that is not going to be one of them.

Wasn't hired.
I once witnessed a fellow dxer pull a handgun out of their backpack and set it on the desk while they rearranged their backpack to get ready to go home. Of course they were the type that never made it past the regional level. Fortunately, retired at this point. Real characters throughout this industry.

I once witnessed a fellow dxer pull a handgun out of their backpack and set it on the desk while they rearranged their backpack to get ready to go home. Of course they were the type that never made it past the regional level. Fortunately, retired at this point. Real characters throughout this industry.
I honestly thought I was the only one with a story like this.
My first day of IOE, this fellow in his 70’s with 17 years at the airline in Dispatch asked his trainee, who was Persian, if he left the middle east because the Taliban had gotten so bad. (The kid was born in Los Angeles).

I honestly thought I was the only one with a story like this.
My first day of IOE, this fellow in his 70’s with 17 years at the airline in Dispatch asked his trainee, who was Persian, if he left the middle east because the Taliban had gotten so bad. (The kid was born in Los Angeles).

This is tamed compared to the things I've heard at my previous airline.

I was at my current job less than 6 months before I was casually asked if I knew someone who had applied for the next class that I had worked with previously, by the person doing the hiring. When your resume is in a stack of dozens/hundreds that all generally look the same, having someone vouch that you are a decent human is crucial.
Hahaha I can relate to you

Like many people have said here, reputation matters. At multiple airlines, I have been asked by hiring managers about prospective hires. This is serious stuff. Its an opportunity to have a hugely significant impact on someone's life and that of their family. Where they raise their kids, whether they can afford to buy a home, what age they can retire, etc. I DO NOT take it lightly. I never give a review based on whether or not I personally like and/or get along with someone. I will give an honest review of their work ethic, quality of work, timeliness, etc. If I don't have pretty strong, educated, objective opinion either negative or positive I will just say I don't know them well enough to have a comment. If someone shows up to work on time, does their job well, and I can count on them to help me out during a stressful shift when I need help, then I don't care if you're an a**hole. You will get a good review from me. Don't get me wrong, being likeable does matter. I just think it matters more than it should and people should remember that when their opinion is asked and someone's livelihood is at stake.

Last edited:
Sorry. I don't wanna work with another a hole. There's already enough
•.jpg

Back