Spirit Pilots Vote Overwhelmingly to Authorize Strike

v1valarob

Release #09.SPA4
May 15, 2009

Spirit Pilots Vote Overwhelmingly to Authorize Strike
Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.—Union leaders for the pilots of Spirit Airlines, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), announced today that they have been authorized by their pilots to call for a lawful withdrawal of services if stalled negotiations do not result in a new contract.
Of the nearly 95% of the eligible pilots who responded to the ballot, 98% voted in support of a withdrawal of services, if required. This authorization comes after two and a half years of fruitless negotiations and repeated contract violations by the company. The National Mediation Board (NMB) could release both sides into economic self-help after the expiration of a 30-day cooling-off period if it concludes that further mediated negotiations will not produce an agreement, at which point a strike could ensue.
“When we started negotiating, this pilot group was certain that the process would result in a fair contract,” said Capt. Sean Creed, chairman of the Spirit pilots union. “However, management’s refusal to abide by our current contract, followed by a demand for $5.3 million in concessions while announcing expansion plans, has destroyed this confidence and forged the unity demonstrated by this vote.”
Spirit pilots and management return to the table on Monday, May 18, for yet another round of negotiations. Management has repeatedly stonewalled these negotiations by walking away from agreements and layering every new proposal with multiple concessions. In the fourth quarter of 2008, management brushed aside tentative agreements in 30 sections of the contract and put forward a completely new contract that required millions of dollars in concessions, while in the same breath publicizing its plans to expand service in the Caribbean and United States. As it turned out, during the very same quarter it was seeking unparalleled concessions, Spirit was also realizing historic profits, according to the latest operating reports filed with the Department of Transportation.
“If this company put even half as much effort into trying to negotiate a fair agreement for its pilots as it did in developing crude advertising, we would have a new contract,” Capt. Creed continued. “This vote clearly shows that this pilot group is completely fed up with this approach and is now prepared to do whatever it takes to get the fair contract we deserve.”
Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world’s largest pilots union and represents nearly 54,000 pilots at 36 airlines in the U.S. and Canada, including more than 500 pilots at Spirit Airlines. Visit the ALPA website at http://www.alpa.org.
3 Airlines now that could test the NMB?

98% of 95%? Amateurs. :)

In all seriousness, though what's the status on Spirit? Last I heard, the company as a whole wasn't doing too hot. Hard to get info since they aren't publically traded. They might have even more leverage than we do since Pinnacle Corp could technically say "See ya" and once we're no longer existant move all the ops over to Colgan.

They're going to have a tough time. There was a BBC report about Spirit and their ultra low cost model. They clean their own buildings, they keep the lights low to save money and they got rid of the front office receptionist and replaced her with a phone that you call when you show up, among other things. Kind of hard atmosphere to get even industry standard. They're also the only major airlne that has partnered with colleges to put 250 hour appeasers into their right seats, good investment for the future.

They're going to have a tough time. There was a BBC report about Spirit and their ultra low cost model. They clean their own buildings, they keep the lights low to save money and they got rid of the front office receptionist and replaced her with a phone that you call when you show up, among other things. Kind of hard atmosphere to get even industry standard. They're also the only major airlne that has partnered with colleges to put 250 hour appeasers into their right seats, good investment for the future.

As long as people get $9 airfares... :rolleyes:

Source?

Wasn't aware of this little gem.

Again--whispering down the lane gossip. Did you know that those that book the one way $9 fare have to book a return fare at a reasonable rate? The average of the two makes money. Simple, huh?

Yeah that program was started by a professor at Embry Riddle who had a friend in the hiring department at Spirit. They took 9-10 pilots from Riddle ranging in experience from 250 hours to 2000 hours to see how it would work out. It was supposed to be an experiment and if the students/faculty worked out without any other airline experience then it would turn out to be an ongoing project. Well a few months after the program was implemented, they furloughed a whole bunch of pilots ~200 i think and that was the end of that.

Actually there are a few that made it before the furlough. They'll be recalled whenever. Pretty scary. Spirit had pretty low requirements anyways just 2500tt no PIC. I think they were looking for the less experienced folks that wouldn't mind the low pay like the regionals.

Is this the spirit that flys the A319's? I have a buddy that just left india to go back there. According to him their pay is pretty high.

=Jason-

Source?

Wasn't aware of this little gem.

I actually got a call from them after a DPE I knew in FL (who flies for UAL on the 777) put an reference in with my resume. I spoke with another fellow JCer about the call and if I should pursue the interview offer. Needless to say at the time I did not have nearly the hours I thought to get a call. Kind of did it as a, "lets see what happens" mindset. But I do know for a fact the Riddle thing came true and they were hiring some with very low times.

The pay isn't all that awful, hopefully they will get it up in the next contract. Looking at their current contract (which Spirit mngmt won't follow) the pilots gave up alot in pay to get ALOT in quality of life features including what looks like would make it the best airline to work for if you wish to commute.

Actually there are a few that made it before the furlough. They'll be recalled whenever. Pretty scary. Spirit had pretty low requirements anyways just 2500tt no PIC. I think they were looking for the less experienced folks that wouldn't mind the low pay like the regionals.

You speak without knowledge! This entire statement is BS!

Wow! Spirit pilots are going to strike? You would think this sort of announcement would be coming from another pilot group. :rolleyes:

Don't know Doug--I'm in an outstation. We don't get celebrity speakers!

Since I've been flying since 1980, I think I don't need someone cheering me on. But perhaps I do! I voted and want QOL retained.

Regarding the other posts: Oh, wait a minute, I'm supposed to have only 2500 hours and no PIC. Try 20,000 + hours and mucho PIC.

Good luck to you guys. If I'm between trips in the NE, I'll come down and walk with you guys if you picket.

But I'm not wearing the double-breasted coat. ;)

Back