Next Up in the RLA Conga Line

That’s all I saw in CA open time in SEA last year. Thank goodness I never got assigned a redeye turn. They sound like hell.

Edit to add: looks like they’re still around 😬

View attachment 73462

View attachment 73463

View attachment 73465
Believe it or not that kind of flying goes Sr in ANC, albeit not as late in the evening.
I’m pretty sure the only time in the 90 year history of my airline that anyone did anything to benefit junior pilots was last week. They bumped the payscale up for everyone. My pay went up 34$ an hour and new hires 10$

Anytime I suggest changing things to help new FOs and stop attrition I usually get an answer that involves life is hard and time to get tough. That’s how we roll at this airline etc.

Like maybe people would stop leaving if we didn’t but ok…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the CAs I’ve flown with agree that something needs to be done about keeping FOs around.

That’s all I saw in CA open time in SEA last year. Thank goodness I never got assigned a redeye turn. They sound like hell.

Edit to add: looks like they’re still around 😬

View attachment 73462

View attachment 73463

View attachment 73465
IMG_5821.gif

Believe it or not that kind of flying goes Sr in ANC, albeit not as late in the evening.

Most of the CAs I’ve flown with agree that something needs to be done about keeping FOs around.

Red eye override, some kind of rules about how many days of red eye reserve you can do in a row, reserves being able to pick up pilot to pilot on days off, lots can be done about how the first year goes for pilots here.

That is the only way staffing will improve. Which in turn will make life better for everyone.

I don’t think that kind of long term thinking really has a place in our society. Not to mention in our airline specific system of “I had to suffer, so now you have to suffer more”.

Meanwhile everyone who walks costs us 100k in training, our growth plan and all of the QOL improvements in the new contract…

Red eye override, some kind of rules about how many days of red eye reserve you can do in a row, reserves being able to pick up pilot to pilot on days off, lots can be done about how the first year goes for pilots here.

That is the only way staffing will improve. Which in turn will make life better for everyone.

I don’t think that kind of long term thinking really has a place in our society. Not to mention in our airline specific system of “I had to suffer, so now you have to suffer more”.

Meanwhile everyone who walks costs us 100k in training, our growth plan and all of the QOL improvements in the new contract…

Yup, we have had over 208 pilots leave Since January. Thats a huge chunk. Probably north of 80 Mil in training costs...

I’m pretty sure the only time in the 90 year history of my airline that anyone did anything to benefit junior pilots was last week. They bumped the payscale up for everyone. My pay went up 34$ an hour and new hires 10$

Anytime I suggest changing things to help new FOs and stop attrition I usually get an answer that involves life is hard and time to get tough. That’s how we roll at this airline etc.

Like maybe people would stop leaving if we didn’t but ok…

That seems to be a common theme, or it becomes a blame game on why new FO’s don’t get more. IMO thats why we’re at where we are now (pilot shortage). The juice isn’t worth the squeeze especially when you can be at home every night and still have a good QOL in other fields.

All the smaller airlines watching a hundreds of millions of monies walk out the door to big airlines while doing literally zero to stop the exodus, perhaps even tacitly encouraging it

View attachment 73470
they don't care...they got theirs so ef' everybody else...if BB was fired tomorrow he would have. BoD seat in another airline before he left the building.

Wait, im confused…:you mean you guys actually fly during the daylight hours?!?!? Le Gasp! I haven’t seen the sun in what feels like ages; unless its just starting to rise over MCO…

Plz send help; or at least redeye override pay.

Wait, im confused…:you mean you guys actually fly during the daylight hours?!?!? Le Gasp! I haven’t seen the sun in what feels like ages; unless its just starting to rise over MCO…

Plz send help; or at least redeye override pay.
Hahaha. I see the schedules haven't changed.

Hahaha. I see the schedules haven't changed.

Not a bit, though supposedly starting in Oct the number of redeyes is getting reduced for the foreseeable future…shame; just got our house decked out in blackout curtains, and to be fair- i didnt mind them too much; easily commutable and hitting the breakfast buffet when i got in was a favorite activity.

Not a bit, though supposedly starting in Oct the number of redeyes is getting reduced for the foreseeable future…shame; just got our house decked out in blackout curtains, and to be fair- i didnt mind them too much; easily commutable and hitting the breakfast buffet when i got in was a favorite activity.
The commutability was the best part. Plus there's nothing that screams health like eating a breakfast then going to bed haha.

Lets not pretend this is an AS-only problem. The same is happening at jetBlue, Spirit, and Frontier. To AS credit, they increased pay to what is UA's TA rate (before the 1% market override). No other airline has done that yet.
Which is why I stated we had 208 leave at our place. WN has been a stepping stone for the big 3 on a massive scale lately. Not that it never was not, but now its just a flood gate.

Back