Spirit Airbus Near Mid-Air Collision with Skydive Plane

I'm sure that wasn't you going berzerk over the freq to center. JC has more class than that! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nope! :)

I'm a:

Key the Mic: "All business" (and recorded!)
Release the Mic: "Editorial comment" (and still recorded, but you'll only know if I wreck something).

Except, of course, in certain airspace when I say "What? canadian_atc is on vacation AGAIN?! Wow! :) "

I'm a:

Release the Mic: "Editorial comment" (and still recorded, but you'll only know if I wreck something).

Except, of course, in certain airspace when I say "What? canadian_atc is on vacation AGAIN?! Wow! :) "

Roger that! Bangin around in a 310 with a (my hats off to these guys) camera op in the back just before I unkey the mic operator yells.."yo! she sounds hot!" Response: "N123 I'm also single" That made a 10hr flying day worth every second! Whoops, Ok you can have your thread back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm a:

With all the overtime we have right now, we get called two to three times a day to work on our days off...

Who has time to work straight time shifts?!?!

RA = Resolution Advisory or something like that. Basically, the system starts barking at you to climb or descend. Or just to monitor vertical speed.

They're not supposed to be used for separation.

A couple of reasons I agree with it. Often time, where the TCAS depicts the traffic, it's not always consistent with where the traffic actually is. If you can see the traffic, you know precisely where he is and what the trend is (is he getting bigger or smaller?). Additionally, you don't have anything other than a "hunch" 80% of the time that the traffic ATC is alerting you about is the actual traffic you're seeing.

Between "track up" or "heading up" nav displays, wind drift and the "other" factor, TCAS displays are only helpful for "where to look" for the traffic, and not a substitute for "see and avoid". Now if you can't see the traffic, keeping your "envelope" out of your traffic's "envelope" is really where it shines, but it is NOT a substitute for see and avoid.

If I get a "reduce speed" request from ATC, I figure it's his airspace and he's got the big picture. He may be trying to sequence a departure between myself and the traffic I'm trailing, runway crossings, whatever.

Thanks.

I have a feeling he is not.

And so what? I was IMC being monitored by approach control, if he was trying to sequence me in tight he would have had me at min separation anyway - and if I got too close he could send me around - no different than if I didn't have TCAS except that I was controlling my speed to get the desired separation (plus a little wiggle room). Separation was never lost, no different than if the guy would have been giving me speeds to fly except I did it myself. I don't really see the problem here. If my TCAS would have crapped out, I would have let him know and gone around or slowed down more, or he would have let me know I was too close and had me slow down. I really don't see the problem with this.

Also, it's not like I was getting an RA or a TA even - if you get it you do what it says. Again I don't see the problem with this method.

And so what?

See below...

I was IMC being monitored by approach control, if he was trying to sequence me in tight he would have had me at min separation anyway - and if I got too close he could send me around - no different than if I didn't have TCAS except that I was controlling my speed to get the desired separation (plus a little wiggle room). Separation was never lost, no different than if the guy would have been giving me speeds to fly except I did it myself. I don't really see the problem here. If my TCAS would have crapped out, I would have let him know and gone around or slowed down more, or he would have let me know I was too close and had me slow down. I really don't see the problem with this.

Also, it's not like I was getting an RA or a TA even - if you get it you do what it says. Again I don't see the problem with this method.

Once again, it may be legal, but it doesn't mean it is safe. Speaking about legalities, have you been trained to use your TCAS for your own separation? If so were is that approved in the Aircraft Operating Manual and your Flight Operations Manual? Then, if that is approved and you received proper training on it, why even put yourself in a situation that increases your chance of a go around???????

And at the end of the day, we're paid by the minute.

What's the flippin' rush? Chicks don't care if you were two minutes under block. Just that you're ripped and drive a funky fresh Aston Martin. Don't got one? They sure don't care that you were early.

And THAT was your alcohol-infused Ebonics moment.

What's the flippin' rush? Chicks don't care if you were two minutes under block. Just that you're ripped and drive a funky fresh Aston Martin. Don't got one? They sure don't care that you were early.

And being two minutes over block all the time is how you get an Aston Martin.

Look no further than my driveway.

And being two minutes over block all the time is how you get an Aston Martin.

Look no further than my driveway.

And if you're doing stuff like providing your own separation via TCAS, you're probably time-building anyway. Feel me, dawg? :)

Just wait until you "correct" a speed assignment somewhere in Europe, they'll not only laugh at your query, they'll probably throw you into the Gulag. :)

See below...

Once again, it may be legal, but it doesn't mean it is safe. Speaking about legalities, have you been trained to use your TCAS for your own separation? If so were is that approved in the Aircraft Operating Manual and your Flight Operations Manual? Then, if that is approved and you received proper training on it, why even put yourself in a situation that increases your chance of a go around???????

It's not legal. It's not even close to anything resembling legal. And had an aircraft "separated" in this manner gone around, upon hearing what transpired as a result of the MOR (there is one for every aircraft that goes around) it would be ugly - and rightfully so.

As a pilot, it may not seem like this is a big deal and it's "the same thing" as the controller doing it. It's not. Not even close. An IFR aircraft executing an instrument approach in IMC and allowing the aircraft to separate themselves from another aircraft using TCAS?!? The best the controller could hope for was to be decertified after spending a few days on the beach. At worst, negligence.

Honestly, I'd be shocked if they'd keep their job. And even more honestly, I wouldn't give a • if they lost it. My sole responsibility is to keep you safe, and get you from point A to B so you can go home at night too. I sure as hell do not want to sit next to someone (who I'm supposed to trust) who has absolutely no regard for their job, and approaches it with such blatant recklessness.

It's not legal. It's not even close to anything resembling legal. And had an aircraft "separated" in this manner gone around, upon hearing what transpired as a result of the MOR (there is one for every aircraft that goes around) it would be ugly - and rightfully so.

Thank you! Figured that!

And at the end of the day, we're paid by the minute.

Some day.
Unfortunately not time building either.

Also to add, back in the day flying checks we'd get berated for being as little as 5 minutes late. Buuuuuut back then we were lucky to have a two line text GPS let alone TCAS. Hell I didn't get true TCAS until I was at my first corporate gig and 3700 hours.

Although I've never volunteered to provide my own spacing I will dial in the TCAS to 5 miles if I'm following a heavy/757 and try to keep them outside the ring if I'm on a visual.

Back