Two Pilots Will Attempt To Swap Planes In Mid-Air This Weekend

Nope, I place no value on that gimmick.
1650894559275.png

This is my favorite clip of this this far.

“ALGO PASO! ALGO PASO!!”.

After watching, I don’t get this…it wouldn’t have been all that cool if it had worked perfectly.

Now the guy who jumped out of a Porter in the alps in a wing suit, then caught up with it and flew inside? Epic.

According to the story on Kathryn's report, the FAA denied permission for this. Would be truly funny if they lose their tickets and can't even retry. Even funnier if the Red Bull contract payout was based on successfully completing it.

Sounds like the Federales are looking into this now. They asked for an exemption to 91.105 and were denied. Wonder if this will go the direction of the guy who crashed the plane in California
1836b2a11d58dd84f5f2cf1354c58848.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

According to the story on Kathryn's report, the FAA denied permission for this. Would be truly funny if they lose their tickets and can't even retry. Even funnier if the Red Bull contract payout was based on successfully completing it.

There's a link to the actual FAA denial letter here:
Apparently they were denied by the FAA.

Denial letter

edit to add:

Quoted in part:

The FAA’s Analysis
The FAA has considered the petition, and finds that granting an exemption from § 91.105(a)
would not be in the public interest and cannot find that the proposed operation would not
adversely affect safety.

First, the petition fails to address compliance with any other applicable regulations in title 14 of
the Code of Federal Regulations during the proposed operation, such as maintaining vigilance to
see and avoid other aircraft in accordance with § 91.113. The FAA does not evaluate these
deficiencies in greater detail because the petitioner does not provide a sufficient public interest
case. Additionally, granting the petitioner’s request for relief would be contrary to previous
denials of requests for relief from the same regulation to allow the flight crew to leave the flight
deck and airplane during the operation of the airplane so as to allow the airplane to simulate a
crash landing.

Second, the FAA has determined that a grant of exemption is not in the public interest for the
proposed operation. The petitioner states that he has been conducting the operation in
compliance with FAA regulations by having an additional pilot on board the airplane designated
as PIC while the airplane swap described in the petition for exemption occurs. Because the FAA
cannot conclude that the operations for which relief is sought (i.e., an operation without a pilot in
the airplane and at the controls) would not adversely affect safety, and because the petitioner can
continue to perform this demonstration in compliance with FAA regulations by including an
additional pilot for each airplane, there is no public interest in granting the exemption request.

The FAA’s Decision
In consideration of the foregoing, I find that a grant of exemption would not be in the public
interest. Therefore, pursuant to the authority contained in 49 U.S.C. §§ 106(f), 40113, and 44701,
delegated to me by the Administrator, the petition of Luke Aikins for an exemption from 14 CFR
§ 91.105(a) is hereby denied.

Issued in Washington, D.C., on April 22, 2022.

Sincerely,
/s/
Robert C. Carty
Deputy Executive Director, Flight Standards Service

From the feds, I think this is stupid nonsense, they have certainly taken the precautions necessary…

but from them, I’m still left with, God, wtf, why?

Best part from my perspective is that the dude who dicked it up and span his aircraft gets to land like a Dollar Store Hero, while the guy who did the dumb crap "correctly" has to wear the cactus. There's a lesson here about carefully vetting your fellow social-media idiofluencers.

Talk about pissing your money away... I wish you kids see what a silly waste of resources this was.
He worked really hard grandma
So do washing machines .

Back