Spirit Airbus Near Mid-Air Collision with Skydive Plane

I've actually done this before.
Approach: "Freighter 741, Uhh, you've got a 100kt overtake on an arriving EMB-170, can you slow to minimum approach?"
Me: "Uhh...is that the guy I'm showing on TCAS,10NM in front of me?"
Approach: "Uhhh, yeah...why?"
Me: "How much separation do you need? I'll maintain a mile more than that and if I get to close just send me around."
Approach: "Alright...that's a new one, sure, I'll let you know if you get too close. I need XX amount of separation."

Worked great, I just kept the dot outside of the appropriate ring, and followed him in on the ILS. Before I switched to tower the guy says, "that was kind of neat, never seen that before."

Please tell me you're kidding...

400 and 1.6 NM?

Not a big deal in the airspace considered, with the relative speeds

Try that at FL400 @ 900 knots of closure (Insert Top Gun groan here) and the news story is about a controller having to surgically remove the chair they sucked up into their lower intestine.

Approach: "Freighter 741, Uhh, you've got a 100kt overtake on an arriving EMB-170, can you slow to minimum approach?"
Me: "How much separation do you need? I'll maintain a mile more than that and if I get to close just send me around."
Approach: "Alright...that's a new one, sure, I'll let you know if you get too close. I need XX amount of separation."

Worked great, I just kept the dot outside of the appropriate ring, and followed him in on the ILS. Before I switched to tower the guy says, "that was kind of neat, never seen that before."

If I tried that up here I would be drawn and quartered before the airplane got on the ground. :aghast:

Ha! That's a good one!

Wait... Really?

I have a feeling he is not.

Well I have no doubt he offered. Hell, I very recently had a Delta pilot offer to buy me a car if I moved them to another runway...

But to have the controller actually bite off on that? Holy...

I cannot even wrap my head around the consequence of such behavior.

Well I have no doubt he offered. Hell, I very recently had a Delta pilot offer to buy me a car if I moved them to another runway...

But to have the controller actually bite off on that? Holy...

I cannot even wrap my head around the consequence of such behavior.

That's when you say "...and half the equity of your house, half your 401K and call me another one of your ex-wives" BOOM!

That's when you say "...and half the equity of your house, half your 401K and call me another one of your ex-wives" BOOM!

Yeah, it turned into a pretty hilarious conversation...and was taken to a whole different level when a female FedEx pilot joined in.

Oy. LOL! See, you can have fun without dropping a seeeeeeeeyahhhhhhhh!

:)

This was common practice in Korea! The F16 guys come screaming in and following two A-10's. We'd give traffic, they'd reply "Radar Contact" and we'd say "Roger, need 5 miles at the threshold." Most efficient way to have a ton of planes on final!

This was common practice in Korea! The F16 guys come screaming in and following two A-10's. We'd give traffic, they'd reply "Radar Contact" and we'd say "Roger, need 5 miles at the threshold." Most efficient way to have a ton of planes on final!

Big difference as that is a 'war zone'.

Big difference as that is a 'war zone'.

Very true, and understood! Don't think I would've ever pulled that one when I worked for the FAA! Either way, the controller is putting his certificate on the line, trusting the pilot. And the pilot just wants to go home and drink some Soju!

3q74wd.jpg

This seems to be little more than a lady trying to earn a payday from her emotional distress. AND, the sensationalistic media feeding off her 'horror of death' emotions.

Also, when you're climbing at say, ~300 kts and ~3000 fpm and immediately reacting to a 1600 fpm decent RA....it's not difficult to imagine there may be floating people in the back during the maneuver. Yeah yeah, I'm sure all the Chuck Yeager's around here would never float anyone because RA's are designed without the 'float factor' ®. BUT, in the real world, away from the keyboard, stuff happens. Just saying...... ;)

I get the feeling that not everyone agrees with this method. Since I'm not a real pilot, can someone please explain to me what's wrong with this?

Also, what does RA stand for?

I get the feeling that not everyone agrees with this method. Since I'm not a real pilot, can someone please explain to me what's wrong with this?

Also, what does RA stand for?

RA = Resolution Advisory or something like that. Basically, the system starts barking at you to climb or descend. Or just to monitor vertical speed.

They're not supposed to be used for separation.

A couple of reasons I agree with it. Often time, where the TCAS depicts the traffic, it's not always consistent with where the traffic actually is. If you can see the traffic, you know precisely where he is and what the trend is (is he getting bigger or smaller?). Additionally, you don't have anything other than a "hunch" 80% of the time that the traffic ATC is alerting you about is the actual traffic you're seeing.

Between "track up" or "heading up" nav displays, wind drift and the "other" factor, TCAS displays are only helpful for "where to look" for the traffic, and not a substitute for "see and avoid". Now if you can't see the traffic, keeping your "envelope" out of your traffic's "envelope" is really where it shines, but it is NOT a substitute for see and avoid.

If I get a "reduce speed" request from ATC, I figure it's his airspace and he's got the big picture. He may be trying to sequence a departure between myself and the traffic I'm trailing, runway crossings, whatever.

::YAWN:: you know how many RA's we've set off in the LGA, EWR, JFK arrival departure corridors for survey? "Insight maintain vis. sep is always top priority for me." Doing survey at FL240 both in C310R and 441 and both times I get some overbearing king of the sky captain on the radio inquiring as to why i'm "On his jet route" Thanks to the great center controllers for providing the education!

Back