Special Issuances and flying for hire

Jason_Briles

Does anyone know if the airlines, regionals or other carriers will deny someone employment as a pilot if the pilot has a medical certificate with a special issuance? Does it depend on what the special issuance is for?

Thanks in advance for your insights.

I have a medical flight waiver for a few years, but no one seemed to have any problem with it. It was a temporary issue though.

But, as usual, it depends on the problem. If you don't mind me asking, whatchya got?

I have a question along these lines as well. My older brother is 23 and is just now starting training. He has a condition with his heart....arotic valve something....

He tried to get a 1st class medical just to be sure and he did get one...but not untill after he paid for a big expensive test at a hospital and sent it to the FAA to be approved.
He has a stipulation on his medical that says he has to have a exam every year (ie, his 1st class does not go to a 2nd class after a year, it just is no longer valid).

Do airlines look into this sort of thing or is it just whether or not you have a 1st class?

Im soo worried that he is going to pay for all the training and then find out he cant reach full potential (airlines)....

I originally obtained a 2nd class with a special issuance w/ no restrictions for asthma. I could not contiue with my training and allowed it to lapse. During that time I was diagnosed with prehypertensive condition. I have submitted all the necessary tests and a request to see an AME and apply for another med cert. The results from the tests seem to be fine, so I anticipate another special issuance but otherwise no restrictions. I wondered if companies that hire pilots will take this into consideration when hiring? I am considering going beyond my private, but I would hate spend all that money and then find out I can't get a job. Thanks for your input Doug.

Yes, but diet and exercise have had a positive impact. I have contacted the AOPA and they say it is common, esp for some pilots as they get older. These things are sometimes caused by heredity as is the case with me. The AOPA assisted me with getting the proper medical tests together, but they couldn't really tell me what happens to pilots for hire, only to say that there are some out there with similar special issuances and are still flying. They also said that an airline could have some restrictions on who they hire becuase their insurance may not cover them if a pilot has certain medical conditions, even with a first class medical. This was speculation on the part of the person I was speaking with at the AOPA.

I was pushing 130/80 when I was in my mid-20's, probably a little higher because I have "White Coat Syndrome" when I take my medicals. Is yours significantly worse?

Until quite recently, the docs would tell me to lie down and relax because I'd always get nervous when the cuff went on.

Mine was a little higher, but now it's much lower. I did have white coat syndrome also, but it did not always explain my bp readings. With diet, exercise and medication I have made very positive changes. Do you know of any pilots who have ever been denied employment becuase of something like this?

Not off the top of my head. I think as long as you're able to pass a first class medical you should be ok as far as I know.

My blood pressure had a wacky range. If I got nervous, it would climb into the 150's but once the got me to calm down, it would go back into the normal range.

Then I found a doctor that I was comfortable with and never had to worry about the blood pressure readings again.

A few things.

If you got a special issuance for asthma then you either have an AME that's jacking you around or you're on some serious meds. I'm a mild to moderate asthmatic on advare twice a day, singular 10 mg. once a day and prevacid 30 mg. once a day and I hold down a first class with no restrictions, no special issuance.

That being said, I was defered to the FAA on my first attempt to get a 3rd class medical. After that, no problems.

Wow that sounds like a deal. I first applied for a 2nd class med. I am on qvar and seravent, both twice daily. I have an albuterol inhaler, but only use it pre exercise. My doctor stated all this in the follow up med reports and letters requested by the FAA. I was given the 2nd class after the AME deferred my app becuase qvar was not on his list of medications, and the prescription for albuterol made it 3 prescriptions for asthma, something that he said was a red flag. I did not care for him as a doctor, he seemed more interested in taking my cash and gettin me out the door than helping me understand the process and I will not be going back to him. I've done a lot of self education since then. I allowed my 2nd class to lapse and now I have sent a letter requesting permission to see an AME and apply for a 1st class. I am now on some medication for hypertension, and I anticipate a special issuance for that. Based on your story, maybe I can have the special issuance for asthma lifted. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah man you got jacked. What you need to do is go to an allergist that is an AME. There's like only one in Michigan, but I make the 3 hour treck to see him every once in a while because he understands the condition of asthma. With those medications you shouldn't have any problems at all getting a 1st class medical, no restrictions, no special issuance. What really happened here is the AME you saw didn't understand a thing about asthma and defered it to the FAA because of his lack of knowledge about the condition. If you had gone to an allergist right off, he would have said "Hey cool I've got 150 patients on the same meds, here's your medical, come back in a year."

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question along these lines as well. My older brother is 23 and is just now starting training. He has a condition with his heart....arotic valve something....

[/ QUOTE ]

Here we go...
wink.gif

If its bicuspid aortic valve, or possibly aortic valve stenosis, I can chime in on my experience. I've got BAV, and disclosed it to my AME the first time around, and haven't had a problem getting a 1st class medical since (though I do go through the deferral process each time around so far, it only delayed issuance the first time). My non-FAA cardioligist says I most likely will never have any problems (and IMO is getting tired of seeing me every year to get reports for the FAA), and my AME says the FAA will likely drop the issue after a few years.

I have looked at the contracts at Airline Pilot Contracts (which apparently doesn't work anymore???) and some have provisions that state if you can hold an FAA Medical (1st class for PIC) the company cannot demand a higher standard.

Back