Southwest Fireworks

The GF and I would go down to the intercoastal park and watch the city fireworks. It was impressive, in that safely distant, professionally run demonstration way.

More impressive was the house on the same park that would launch their own display with clearly non-retail devices. Except we were much closer to that, and their, ahem, non-professionally trained operations.

Yeah they were launching them from the neighborhood next to the 49ers stadium off the 30R departure end where planes go straight over those houses. I'm a huge fan of illegal fireworks because 'Murikeh, and the last few years I've gathered people on rooftops in the neighborhoods where people stock pile them rather than going out to official shows since you see so many more fireworks and from 830PM to 2AM usually. But up until now, people have had the common sense to not launch them near the end of runways. From the South San Francisco building rooftop I was on, I could clearly see people launching them FROM THE LONG TERM PARKING LOT AT SFO! Right off the departure end of the 28s. Happened several times from there over the night, then of course the people would high tail it out of there. Had there been a slow-climbing 28R departure, would have been just like this video.

They should just legalize fireworks in the Bay Area. Tens of thousands of them are going off each 4th of July + NYE + Cinco de Mayo + Chinese New Year anyway. It'd only be safer and people are more likely to not do it near airports if it is allowed elsewhere legally. If its illegal, people will just use any open lot or street. Cops can't keep up with it anyway, they barely are even able to enforce it.
Generally speaking, police around here don't respond to complaints about fireworks. Used to get dozens of calls from annoyed neighbors around different holidays at 911 and would dutifully transfer them to the appropriate police agency. PD could tell 'em, "we'll take the information but we're not sending a patrol," but we couldn't do that at 911.

I am personally uninterested these days, although I do enjoy the disasters which sometimes occur on You Tube. We've had some pretty remarkable personal displays in the area, local though we be. The pups aren't fans but Tramadol from the Vet gets them through the relatively short celebrations. A good Martini or two does the same for me. As a retiree, there is no worry about lost sleep and the following shift.

Colder now, no f's given for lost fingers and eyes but, frankly, only a few of the most stupid learn that way.

In my area this year:

One dead, nine injured from shrapnel which also damaged numerous houses and cars...

Edit to add;

"Investigators believe that the metal pieces and shrapnel were from a homemade metal tube designed to launch mortar firework shells. The explosion caused the tube to fracture and scatter metal pieces between the size of a pea and a fist into a crowd of people."

Last edited:
In my area this year:

One dead, nine injured from shrapnel which also damaged numerous houses and cars...

Edit to add;

"Investigators believe that the metal pieces and shrapnel were from a homemade metal tube designed to launch mortar firework shells. The explosion caused the tube to fracture and scatter metal pieces between the size of a pea and a fist into a crowd of people."

Darwin is still busy. It's a shame for the family.

I noticed on Wednesday morning many people had sleepy eyes, lots of people looked as if they hadn't gotten a good nights sleep (myself included). Some might've stayed up late to watch fireworks, some might've stayed up late to light off fireworks, some might've been drinking a bit more than they should. And some were like me, I had a nice meal with some friends and was in bed by 9:30pm (I still can't sleep past 5:30am) and even though my bedroom is normally a bastion of silence I was continually awakened by my neighbors exuberant displays of patriotism. My ass was dragging in the morning. I'm not complaining, I like fireworks and I'd never try to restrict their use (HAHA, I live in LA!). I'm just saying if the 4th of July falls during the middle of the week give everyone a bit of slack because they might be a little wobbly through no fault of their own.

I was in bed by 2200. Mostly because I had a 0600 commute flight to DTW and, living in the hills, there’s always someone popping fireworks off and it drives teh animals nuts.

We once had a rule about amateur fireworks but the fireworks lobby got that overturned so now we’re always on fire.

I was in bed by 2200. Mostly because I had a 0600 commute flight to DTW and, living in the hills, there’s always someone popping fireworks off and it drives teh animals nuts.

We once had a rule about amateur fireworks but the fireworks lobby got that overturned so now we’re always on fire.

This. Derg. Is on ffffiiiiiiiiiaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did any major news outlet go with the Southwest through fireworks video? Seems like an elaborate fake. Even commercial displays look unimpressive with just a little bit of altitude, and any store-bought mortar or rocket would pretty much have to be launched from airport property to touch a jet.

When I lived in Chicago it was an all-out war zone on the Fourth. Inside the city limits. Illegal but everyone goes to Indiana or Wisconsin for their stash, and enforcement is stretched thin. The puppies & ptsd movement isn’t well accommodated there.

When I lived in Chicago it was an all-out war zone on the Fourth. Inside the city limits. Illegal but everyone goes to Indiana or Wisconsin for their stash, and enforcement is stretched thin. The puppies & ptsd movement isn’t well accommodated there.

Same, strangely, on whidbey Island, WA.......I guess it is cause all the reservations around here? We buy the good stuff for sure, and my neighbors on all sides seem to spend thousands on pro grade big boom booms every year

Did any major news outlet go with the Southwest through fireworks video? Seems like an elaborate fake. Even commercial displays look unimpressive with just a little bit of altitude, and any store-bought mortar or rocket would pretty much have to be launched from airport property to touch a jet.

Didn't look fake for a second to me, especially with the audio and knowing the kid who filmed it tapes every takeoff...there were for sure people launching professional-grade fireworks all over the SFO/SJC areas.

The OP video from the ground of a different WN 737 landing getting "hit", idk if that actually hit or not. But the interior video is legit and it was on news sites.

Back