Southwest Airlines to fly out of Milwaukee!

CRJDriver

Southwest Airlines to fly out of Milwaukee
By Tom Daykin of the Journal Sentinel
Updated: May. 20, 2009 10:52 a.m.

Southwest Airlines, the nation's largest low-fare carrier, will begin flying out of Milwaukee's Mitchell International Airport late this year, the company announced Wednesday.

Southwest's entry into Milwaukee likely will create more choices, and lower ticket prices, for area fliers. It also brings another formidable competitor for Midwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, AirTran Airways and other carriers that fly from Mitchell.

The announcement was made by Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Kelly at Dallas-based Southwest's annual shareholders meeting and drew applause from the audience. Kelly didn't include details on which cities Southwest will serve from Milwaukee or the number of flights that will be offered.

One industry source said Southwest probably will offer nonstop flights to leisure destinations such as Las Vegas, Phoenix and Orlando, Fla. Midwest, Mitchell's largest carrier, cut back on flights to those cities and other Florida leisure destinations when it announced a 40% service reduction last year.

Along with tapping into the Milwaukee area, service from Mitchell will help Southwest better serve the northern Chicago metropolitan area, Kelly said. Southwest serves Chicago from Midway Airport, on the city's south side.

Midwest Airlines/Midwest Connect remains Mitchell's No. 1 carrier, with a 35.1% market share in March, according to airport data. Delta, which is integrating Northwest Airlines into its system, is No. 2, with 22.6% share. AirTran, another low-fare carrier, is No. 3, with 19.8% share.

A customer satisfaction survey, released Tuesday by the University of Michigan, rated Southwest with the highest score, 81 on a zero-to-100 scale. After Southwest, Continental Airlines scored 68; Delta, 64; American Airlines, 60; US Airways, 59; Northwest, 57; and United Airlines, 56. Midwest and AirTran were not included in the survey.

http://www.jsonline.com/business/45482677.html

-------------

I'm a Southwest Airlines cheerleader, and I think this is another good move by Southwest. Looks like they are going after AirTran in MKE now.

Too bad it wasn't sooner. I could have gotten my summer tickets cheaper and not have paid $70 for my bags round trip on the purple carrier:banghead:

Too bad it wasn't sooner. I could have gotten my summer tickets cheaper and not have paid $70 for my bags round trip on the purple carrier:banghead:

SWA keeps up with their last two reports of not making a profit, it might happen there as well. We will see.

Back