Long Airport Security Line Article...

Or, passengers need to learn to pack lighter! They seem to be the ones holding up the process...even with the constant barking at them by the TSA agents to follow guidelines.

I still think a lot of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the airlines charging bag fees, and gate agents not properly monitoring the size of luggage passengers try to take on the plane. How many flights actually take off without not requiring passengers to gate check luggage at some point? I wouldn't want to pay the fees, either.

Shack x 2

I travel on pass privileges quite a bit, and I noticed a severe slowdown in the xray scanning after the two latest terror attacks. I mostly fly out of Denver, and I've noticed it's 50/50 slow or fast. Some of the older guys in the TSA are with the program and just keep the belts moving, but a lot of the personnel study the xray images like they're answers to a final exam. I encourage y'all to look at how long the TSA employee is spending per bag on the scanner the next time you have to go through security, because it seems to me both the airports and times I travel with low wait times have people running bags through quickly. Just my observations.

Quote from the article linked above: "TSA plans its staffing based on the number of travelers expected through the different checkpoints each hour."

In my experience, I have never seen evidence of any planning on the part of TSA. Countless times I have seen security checkpoint lines with hundreds, if not thousands of people slowly creeping along. Countless times I have seen idle TSA officers standing beside idle X-ray machines and scanners, while nearby a long queue of passengers wait to go through a handful of scanners. Countless times I've seen passengers miss flights due to extraordinarily long delays at security.

Flight schedules are published almost 11 months in advance, and there is loads of historical data that can be used to forecast daily, even hourly numbers of passengers. Why, then, can't the TSA do a better job?

The TSA has had years to develop and fine tune the system, but to watch it in operation today you'd think that the 9/11-related security changes were imposed just last month. It is genuinely embarrassing that the country can accomplish so many great things, but our TSA can't figure out how to screen passengers efficiently.

Of the 4 airports I went through a form of security, in the last week, all are about the same.
ORD, SAN, LAX and DEN.

I'm not convinced this is extra slow down, but rather the same incompetence I've seen over the last few years.

Yeah that's kind of the point of the rant......Amateur Travellers

Leaving MSP this morning they had the employee line and Precheck line merge together for the document checker person. Family of 3 who somehow was blessed with Precheck goes in front of me and spent about 3 minutes all digging for their IDs. And I quote..."I thought all i needed was my ticket".

Leaving MSP this morning they had the employee line and Precheck line merge together for the document checker person. Family of 3 who somehow was blessed with Precheck goes in front of me and spent about 3 minutes all digging for their IDs. And I quote..."I thought all i needed was my ticket".

Evidently the family with the one seasoned traveler that carried over privileges to the rest of the family...how does that even work? Shouldn't everyone have to go through the same process to get benefits? I always have to coach people around me when I am in precheck. I swear they just hand that out. :eek2:

Evidently the family with the one seasoned traveler that carried over privileges to the rest of the family...how does that even work? Shouldn't everyone have to go through the same process to get benefits? I always have to coach people around me when I am in precheck. I swear they just hand that out. :eek2:

They really do. My parents who fly maybe twice a year will usually get it on their outbound but not on their return trip. Same PNR and everything. There's really no rhyme or reason to it.

They really do. My parents who fly maybe twice a year will usually get it on their outbound but not on their return trip. Same PNR and everything. There's really no rhyme or reason to it.

It makes me a little perturbed when I had to go visit the TSA for an afternoon and get interviewed and fingerprinted, and some people randomly get it. Granted, I do have global entry, and I hope that just doesn't get randomly given out.

Anyone over 12 in the family that doesn't have precheck is supposed to have the same baggage and strip search as the other unwashed masses, kids under 12 can follow parent with precheck to the saintly line.

Global Entry gets you precheck automatically and is cheaper than just paying for the Precheck....great system

In DEN the south side where the parking lot busses and the new train from Denver stops, was packed. Pre-check line was out the ropes and wrapped around. Walk the 2 minutes to the north side, ghost town. 5 people in pre-check. The bridge security which I decided to check out on a busy day, was also a ghost town. People are too lazy to walk the 2 minutes to have no lines, they'd rather post on Facebook a security line selfie and complain

ba715851a4c5716f78104cb26a5f1601.jpg

Well worth the $100. Even more worth it when your credit card reimburses you for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes total sense that just because the tickets were booked together or the profiles are together that everyone is clear because one did the background check.

Does the TSA watch the news? How many stories start with, "they seemed like such a nice person."

I like playing the game with my friends and family members where the winner is the one who gets through security first. ;)

Back