Long Airport Security Line Article...

Avgirl

Love what they are doing to make passengers feel better about waiting in long lines. Rice Krispies Treats make everything so much better! :) Personally, if I had to wait in a long line, I would prefer a fuzzy animal to pet. ;-)

http://www.myajc.com/news/business/critics-baggage-fees-add-to-long-airport-lines/nrNhL/

Critics: Baggage fees add to long airport lines
BUSINESS

By Kelly Yamanouchi - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Posted: 3:05 p.m. Monday, May 16, 2016

As airport and government officials search for a fix for the long airport security lines plaguing airports in Atlanta and other U.S. cities, one possible culprit has come into focus: Baggage fees.

Some say fees for checked bags prompt travelers to carry on more bags, all of which have to be screened at security checkpoints as passengers head to their gates.

Two U.S. senators have proposed that airlines stop charging baggage fees this summer. But airlines are loathe to lose the hundreds of millions in revenue they collect from baggage fees.

In a letter to airline executives, Sens. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Edward Markey (D-Mass.) acknowledged many factors play into the lines, including staffing cuts for federal screeners and tighter security protocols after lapses revealed in tests.

But they told the executives: “You can take some action right away…suspend bag fees for the summer.” The letter, citing Transportation Security Administration information, said checkpoints serving airlines with checked baggage fees handled 27 percent more roller bags than checkpoints for carriers that do not.

+
JOHN SPINK
Security screening lines up to an hour long or more snaked through the terminal and around baggage claim carousels at Hartsfield-Jackson ... Read More
A spokesman for Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines, which charges $25 for a first checked bag, said the senators’ request would entail a “considerable change to the business model.”

“We don’t think that shifting that traffic to the baggage check area … would really help alleviate a lot,” said the spokesman, Michael Thomas.

He said Delta is working with TSA on strategies to cut wait times, including contributing staff to help manage lines and paying for new lanes aimed at processing large volumes of passengers faster.

+
JOHN SPINK
Jennifer Warrilow on Monday played the violin in front of the main security checkpoint at Hartsfield-Jackson International, where she and other ... Read More
In the third quarter of 2015, Delta collected nearly $237 million in baggage fees. American Airlines took in $292 million, while United Airlines had more than $184 million in bag fee revenue.

Southwest Airlines, a distant second to Delta in market share at Hartsfield-Jackson International, does not charge fees for the first two checked bags.

While senators can ask airlines to waive bag fees, “I don’t think you’re going to see that happen,” said Bill Rinehart, founder of DUFL, a personal valet service that ships, cleans and stores business wear for travelers.

“It’s a massive revenue stream. They’re all private businesses. I’m not sure why they would feel like they need to do that for the government.”

Hartsfield-Jackson is considering — but has not committed to — another possibility: a “one-bag only” express lane, with the idea that those travelers “have the potential to get through the process quicker,” airport general manager Miguel Southwell said.

In 2011, Pittsburgh International Airport tested an “Express Lane” for travelers with one bag. The idea was “a result of more people carrying more items through the checkpoint to avoid airline bag fees,” according a statement when the lane opened. Those with a roll-aboard suitcase plus a purse or briefcase did not qualify for the one-bag only lane.

Pittsburgh did not stick with the idea, but it was a precursor to the TSA PreCheck expedited screening program.

In Atlanta, there are already PreCheck lines, as well as a line for elite-level frequent fliers, a special assistance lane and a line for airline crewmembers. Also in the works is a line for members of a program run by biometric identification technology firm Clear.

A one-bag line could further confuse travelers, but it is at least under discussion.

“We are interested in trying out anything that will lessen the amount of time our customers will wait in a security line this summer,” another Delta spokesman, Morgan Durrant, said of the concept.

Early Monday, security screening lines up to an hour long or more snaked through the domestic terminal and around baggage claim carousels at Hartsfield-Jackson.

Lines for TSA checkpoints have been especially long for more than a week amid the closure of the Terminal South checkpoint for a redesign of two security lanes aimed at speeding screening. The checkpoint is expected to reopen May 24.

Meanwhile, Airport workers offered chewy granola bars, Rice Krispies treats, animal crackers and bottled water to passengers in the queues.

Lines and wait times began building at Hartsfield-Jackson months ago and recently have become an issue at other U.S. airports as well.

The airlines seriously need to figure out a way to rein the TSA in, this is insane.

I still think a lot of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the airlines charging bag fees, and gate agents not properly monitoring the size of luggage passengers try to take on the plane. How many flights actually take off without not requiring passengers to gate check luggage at some point? I wouldn't want to pay the fees, either.

I still think a lot of the responsibility falls on the shoulders of the airlines charging bag fees, and gate agents not properly monitoring the size of luggage passengers try to take on the plane. How many flights actually take off without not requiring passengers to gate check luggage at some point? I wouldn't want to pay the fees, either.

That whole issue goes into the pricing structure of a ticket needing to be updated. On the face of it though the TSA is a massive, I guess the term would be "waste". There has to be a better way, and it seriously needs to be reined in.

What irks me the most about TSA is the complete lack of standardization. I routinely see and experience "new policies" at all sorts of out stations that don't do anything other than just waste time and reaffirm their status as the ones in charge. Though, that's probably their goal.

Or, passengers need to learn to pack lighter! They seem to be the ones holding up the process...even with the constant barking at them by the TSA agents to follow guidelines.

Yep. I check my bag, usually only have a laptop bag. Drives me nuts with people having giant suitcases, or even worse, in the Pre Check line trying to empty their bag in the bin and take off shoes and jacket......

All that would do is shift the mess from the security checkpoint, to the bag drop kiosk, then back to the checkpoint.

i think this has absolutely zero to do with baggage fees. I think this is the TSA slowing everything down and posturing to say overtime is required
Didn't someone post a link in another thread to an internal memo outlining how the TSOs should be intentionally slowing things down?

wouldn't surprise me at all.
So I've just thought of this...

The passenger terminal uses TSA for screening, but what about the cargo ramp? I've never ridden on UPS or Fedex, but I imagine people getting access to airplanes over there have to go through some sort of screening to get into the sterile area. Also, I can't imagine that there are smurfs over there doing that screening, and I'm pretty sure someone told me it's contracted out. How accurate is that?

AND if that IS accurate, what's stopping airlines or airports (whomever is in charge of that crap) from just contracting out the screening in the passenger terminals?

The airlines seriously need to figure out a way to rein the TSA in, this is insane.

It's hardly TSA's fault that Congress fail to allocate money. Indeed, that's part of a plan that has worked time and time again — under fund something you want to privatize and, when it fails, you say, "See? Government doesn't work. Told ya. Time to pay a contractor to do it for us." Invariably the contractor charges three times as much for the same service, the employees gets less than half as much, and Congress all of a sudden have no problems finding funding for the contractor that they were loathe to allocate when it was a government service.

So I've just thought of this...

The passenger terminal uses TSA for screening, but what about the cargo ramp? I've never ridden on UPS or Fedex, but I imagine people getting access to airplanes over there have to go through some sort of screening to get into the sterile area. Also, I can't imagine that there are smurfs over there doing that screening, and I'm pretty sure someone told me it's contracted out. How accurate is that?

AND if that IS accurate, what's stopping airlines or airports (whomever is in charge of that crap) from just contracting out the screening in the passenger terminals?

I don't think those ramps are TSA controlled. It's like going through an FBO, no security. However if you ride Fedex then a Fedex employee will wand you and search your bags, and they are actually a lot more thorough than TSA.

I don't think those ramps are TSA controlled. It's like going through an FBO, no security. However if you ride Fedex then a Fedex employee will wand you and search your bags, and they are actually a lot more thorough than TSA.
Ah, that makes sense...That hadn't even occurred to me.

Back