Southwest 345 Transcript from LGA

Any mode given to you is good, but there really are not universal answers. FL350 to FL360, VS 500 is very nice. It's very smooth.

Some people, however (are we really going this far in depth on a thread about unstabilized approaches), think it's a "universal truth" that VS is smoother than other modes, which it isn't.

Find the correct tool for the appropriate situation.

Small altitude chances which mean a small climb or decent, sure.

Large altitude changes, not so much.

Large commands in VS climb or descents, not so much either.

Vertical speed means vertical speed as a priority. Most airplanes I've flown say, "OK boss! VS 2000 it is!" and it will get slow in a climb or get fast in a descent in some situations. I've seen too many guys roll in a hefty vertical descent, blows through their airspeed, alarms go off and they commence bitching about how much of a POS the mad dog is. Or try to roll in a generous VS climb on the Bus, start decelerating and start complaining about how the French designed an airplane.

The moment we let go of trying to "one size fits all" with the automation is the day we stop having these ridiculous arguments.

Sorry, ridiculous but highly entertaining.

Any mode given to you is good, but there really are not universal answers. FL350 to FL360, VS 500 is very nice. It's very smooth.

Some people, however (are we really going this far in depth on a thread about unstabilized approaches), think it's a "universal truth" that VS is smoother than other modes, which it isn't.

Vertical speed means vertical speed as a priority. Most airplanes I've flown say, "OK boss! VS 2000 it is!" and it will get slow in a climb or get fast in a descent in some situations. I've seen too many guys roll in a hefty vertical descent, blows through their airspeed, alarms go off and they commence bitching about how much of a POS the mad dog is. Or try to roll in a generous VS climb on the Bus, start decelerating and start complaining about how the French designed an airplane.

The moment we let go of trying to "one size fits all" with the automation is the day we stop having these ridiculous arguments.

I think we should just stick to the basic modes! Pitch and roll FO Evah!

On the CRJ if you accidentally double tapped the VS button it would go to pitch, so when you would spin the wheel it would rapidly command a nose over or climb. Wheeeeeee!!!!

Who said anything about absolutes? There are times for each mode, and some planes do better in some modes over others.

Anyways, y'all enjoy.

Who said anything about absolutes? There are times for each mode, and some planes do better in some modes over others.

Anyways, y'all enjoy.

Wasn't directed at you, but more of a sawed-off shotgun blast o' Derg out the back door!

Like bad chili.

Ooh, it's dinner time!

Yup. I...

1. Pull VS +500 as a start
2. Pull speed and drive it up to .79 or .80 (only a technique to stay in climb power)*
3. Hit PERF button on the FMGC and stay at published mach speed in cruise phase as much as possible by varying the VS rate to do so.

* Not pulling speed to a higher value and leaving a VS of 500 will sometimes bring power back from climb, when really the power could stay in and attain a higher climb rate. It's a technique thing, but you can always tell about a pilot by how effective they are.

We use VS in the 727 almost exclusively. Airspeed/Mach hold are terribly pitchy regardless of weight. Set the throttles, roll in the VS and keep your hand by the wheel.

Our newest to us plane only has a rocker knob for the pitch with no altitude capture. Thats about as basic as you can get and the same setup as all the sims we use.

The fear of a stall or overspeed means you weren't paying enough attention in the first place. It's amazing how spoiled we get with the automation.

With regards to the transcript, it seemed that neither pilot had a full grasp of what the plane was going to do.

Yup. I...

1. Pull VS +500 as a start
2. Pull speed and drive it up to .79 or .80 (only a technique to stay in climb power)*
3. Hit PERF button on the FMGC and stay at published mach speed in cruise phase as much as possible by varying the VS rate to do so.

* Not pulling speed to a higher value and leaving a VS of 500 will sometimes bring power back from climb, when really the power could stay in and attain a higher climb rate. It's a technique thing, but you can always tell about a pilot by how effective they are.

Too many buttons for me, personally. I figure I'm about 92% accurate in button pushing. The more buttons I push, the more that 8% aggregate grows into a scary number.

Back