SkyWest to lose 157 CR2s by December 2015; Adding 32 E175s

SkyW has done a decent job at allowing leases to expire, picking up a/c out of the desert on the cheap and putting them on pro-rate routes and actually making money. Same thing could happen on the East side of the house and might lessen the burden some though with the attrition it may not be necessary.

If XJT starts doing pro-rate flying can they bring back the aquafresh paint job?

It'll be interesting times for sure, really hope no one loses their job over this. One interesting thing to note, SkyW has done a decent job at allowing leases to expire, picking up a/c out of the desert on the cheap and putting them on pro-rate routes and actually making money. Same thing could happen on the East side of the house and might lessen the burden some though with the attrition it may not be necessary. Good luck to all and may all of us have a comfy mainline jerb sooner than later!
All I can say is we shall see. Need a contract first and both sides have things they want to stamp their feet and wine about again.

I guess I'm not the only one who thought their branded planes looked like giant toothpaste tubes.

Yeah, my wife comes home one night talking about a plane that looked like toothpaste. I didn't believe her until I saw one myself. At least it wasn't as boring looking as the SkyWest generics.

Yeah, my wife comes home one night talking about a plane that looked like toothpaste. I didn't believe her until I saw one myself. At least it wasn't as boring looking as the SkyWest generics.
I like our anniversary liveries. But you're right, our generics are pretty boring.

Except for this one, of course:
2420778.jpg

Interesting stuff.

Could we be approaching that elusive point of critical mass where....*gasp*....airlines have to raise fares appropriately and the public is just gonna have to pony up the extra ten bucks a ticket?

Call me crazy....

Interesting stuff.

Could we be approaching that elusive point of critical mass where....*gasp*....airlines have to raise fares appropriately and the public is just gonna have to pony up the extra ten bucks a ticket?

Call me crazy....

That has been going on now for a while. Record profits don't set themselves without higher ticket prices and large ancillary revenue values.

There is a tremendous amount of capital invested in regional airlines. That's a lot of money and money men.

Do not expect them to go quietly into that good night.

They will claw and tooth their way to salvage whatever is left of that industry in it's present form. They will have a full court press to repeal whatever and throw gobs of money lobbying.

The irony of the situation is that they could probably throw that money at the pilots, come out ahead, and have a better result to boot.

But that would mean "labor won" or "labor was right", and we can't have that now, can we?

Richman

You need to read the tea leaves here.
Skywest replaced their President, CFO and COO in May. That is not a good sign any way you add it up. It's a major sign that things are going south in a hurry.

Joe
The COO became President of Inc. Doesn't seem like a blood letting to me, and the new COO came up with the cockamamie Performance Rewards scam.

also, if you are a lifer CA at a regional, there were opportunities at several forks in the road....it just didn't look appetizing to current QOL and pay...but when you let it ride, eventually....you'll crap out

Is it crazy to think Skywest, Compass and RAH will likely be the only ones left in a few years?

Ok, chapter 11.
Possible but I believe it to be unlikely unless the Skywest side continues to drop the ball. ExpressJet has something other airlines do not. That is pilots. We are probably the closest to properly staffed than most regionals right now. I know we are doing better than Skywest since they barely have any reserve coverage.

I understand a Comair situation could exist but there are some differences that I believe will reduce (but not eliminate) the likelihood of that happening. For example pilot hiring and the overall economy are exact opposites right now. The majors are actually starting to suck up regional pilots quite quickly. Unless the legacies can train fast enough to replace our capacity + their retirees (United has been doing terrible here) I don't see how we can disappear overnight unless they are willing to reduce their capacity a ton.

Last edited:
Back