SkyWest to lose 157 CR2s by December 2015; Adding 32 E175s

I actually got a call from Xjet canceling my interview in a couple weeks. Basically said they aren't hiring right now with the loss of the 50 seat RJ's and aren't sure when they will start again.

4 of the 200s are Delta flying. 11 are from the US Air flying. So it's not UAL replacing 157 50 seaters. More like "UAL replacing 142 50 seaters." Of those only 11 are from SKW airlines side. Doesn't look good for the L-XJT side :(

First and foremost I hope nobody is put on the street due to this.
I've wanted to invest in Skyw for a while but haven't because of this. Essentially these planes go to work ever day and lose money and that no way reflects the pilots flying them.
As Joe said, this is a great many seats coming off when ual could stand to ADD capacity and I don't know if ual pilots can comment if their current small narrow body aircraft fleet have the ability to pick up a few more flights a day. That is the wild card.
So a few of these may get extended with money making contracts until ual can bring on more small narrow body aircraft.
While tough for the pilots, cutting this flying is great for Skyw inc and shareholders.

I believe that the future at a regional is based upon everyone being on a 12/4 pay scale. This will discourage career regional pilots, staff mainline 100% and maintain the cost metrics for the regionals at the lowest possible level. Of course, I am just theorizing here. "Meat in the seat, as cheaply as possible" is the primary objective despite all the rhetoric about safety, experience, etc...espoused by both union and management.

"It looks like they are going to try to save Skywest at the expense of Expressjet."

I think that the intent was to use Expressjet to maintain SKW cash-flow while they re-tooled with E175s and whatever else they are getting. A lot of arguments can be made to the contrary, but I think SKW knew exactly what they were doing when they orchestrated the XJT/ASA deal. Time will tell, but certainly bears watching to see how the whole thing plays out.

Last edited:
If the flying is replaced with additional mainline narrow body aircraft, then this won't be so bad for the pilots. Opens more doors for us to take the next step.

It looks that way. I don't see where else United can go to contract out more flying... Unless those 50 seaters magically find their way to a carrier attempting to operate them for cheaper which I just don't see happening.

I feel for those dudes but that is the risk you take when you make a decision to be a lifer at a regional.

The ones I know didnt choose it. I dont believe they intended to be lifers. The opportunities, at the time, just weren't available for them to move on. I really cant say they took a risk, because most of them, at the time, didnt see it like that. I suppose its just the nature of the industry.

The ones I know didnt choose it. I dont believe they intended to be lifers. The opportunities, at the time, just weren't available for them to move on. I really cant say they took a risk, because most of them, at the time, didnt see it like that. I suppose its just the nature of the industry.
Most of the guys that had the chance to go to CAL had some issues come up (usually having a kid) and declined class slots. At least that is the case with the senior guys I have flown with.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

It'll be interesting times for sure, really hope no one loses their job over this. One interesting thing to note, SkyW has done a decent job at allowing leases to expire, picking up a/c out of the desert on the cheap and putting them on pro-rate routes and actually making money. Same thing could happen on the East side of the house and might lessen the burden some though with the attrition it may not be necessary. Good luck to all and may all of us have a comfy mainline jerb sooner than later!

Back