SJI Displacements Cancelled

I would love any A in NYC on this bid but as an early 17 hire, I’m pessimistic I won’t get it considering what’s happened the last year.

just bid it! In late 2019 I got 717A and had no idea until people randomly were texting me congratulations. It was an exciting time until pandemic when they closed our awesome nyc category of fun FOs to fly with.

I cracked the books a bit for CFI last year after coming back from SLC, but my plans are for survey/pipeline to build my hours to 1500. They recently started hiring again slowly, cautiously. Probably with regionals calling people back who got booted from training. The first part of the survey season starts in Oct/Nov time-frame. A multi rating is highly preferred to be competitive. I want to be ready to go when the first season starts. Or when their secondary season starts again in the spring.

I'll be honest. My heart isn't really in being a CFI. Never really has been. Its a great way to earn hours. But I also think that you need to have a passion for it. Which I don't. So I teeter between doing for hours and possibly being a bad CFI that hates life. Or saying, "its gonna be a no for me dawg." We'll see what happens, necessity and availability of jobs will force the decision for me.

That was the plan. Was. We'll see. It was between them or flyvetter in Montana. But... I got COVID in January, fortunately I was asymptomatic. I started my current job in November, so I had no PTO. So they gave me negative PTO in the amount of 80 hrs. I doubt that between now and before Oct/Nov time frame I will have paid back the 80 hrs. Even if I do I'd be at a zero balance as opposed to a negative balance.

Yep, COVID f-k'd me again. For the second time.

Risky to quit my current job with no promise of an aviation job waiting in the wings upon completion of the new rating. So to cut anyone off at the pass who says. "So that's why you get your CFI." Aeroguard wants you at the airport for 8 hrs. whether you're flying or not. When you're not flying you're studying alone, or in group sessions. You can't have a job, if unable to commit spending 5 days a week at the airport for 6-8 hrs. they drop you. They want no distractions and you to be fully immersed into their CFI program. I guess that they want you to be hungry, homeless and have a 300 FICO score and living out of your car. While you train to be a CFI. Nope. Its very unrealistic.

Everyone thinks this...no one ever thinks they are capable of teaching. No one ever thinks that the have the patience for it. These things are learned and developed just like any other aspect. You CAN do it.

Everyone thinks this...no one ever thinks they are capable of teaching. No one ever thinks that the have the patience for it. These things are learned and developed just like any other aspect. You CAN do it.

I feel the opposite. If you're not into helping people, you can't empathize with someone and really learn how to teach an individual, you shouldn't be any kind of educator. I've taught the 5th grade, surfing, sailing, mountain biking and I'm a CFI as well. They are all no different. You have to care about your student and figure out how to reach them.

A lot of pilots aren't capable of doing that. Frankly if one feels like they shouldn't be a teacher it is probably a really good indication that you shouldn't be teaching.

Last edited:
just bid it! In late 2019 I got 717A and had no idea until people randomly were texting me congratulations. It was an exciting time until pandemic when they closed our awesome nyc category of fun FOs to fly with.
Oh the bids are in. I guess being awarded 73A last year and then it being cancelled just got me pessimistic this time around haha. The highs and lows of this industry is crazy!

I feel the opposite. If you're not into helping people, you can't empathize with someone and really learn how to teach an individual, you shouldn't be any kind of educator. I've taught the 5th grade, surfing, sailing, mountain biking and I'm a CFI as well. They are all no different. You have to care about your student and figure out how to reach them.

A lot of pilots aren't capable of doing that. Frankly if one feels like they shouldn't be a teacher it is probably a really good indication that you shouldn't be teaching.

These people shouldn’t fly multi crew airplanes either. It’s the same skillset

It was envy. They knew you would soon be making NE’s life miserable, and they wanted a piece of that action themselves.

when my briefings started with “so I learned to fly this airplane at HAL, so if I try to fly a channel approach style anything just call me out!”

I was really worried about this, at first. I thought, "I'm not the right kind of person for this." At first, I went into CFI training thinking that it was my only option.

I was so, so wrong about all of that and very glad of it. I am hoping - whatever the next role is - will allow me to continue teaching. I have friends at Commutair who are not allowed to do *any* outside flying and I think that kind of sucks.

These people shouldn’t fly multi crew airplanes either. It’s the same skillset

Yup! You upgrade to captain and fly with a brand new FO who's fresh out of IOE. He/she will likely still need a bit of mentoring as one example.

Exactly. As one who had a CFI who had no interest in being there, don’t do that to a student.

Yup! You upgrade to captain and fly with a brand new FO who's fresh out of IOE. He/she will likely still need a bit of mentoring as one example.

You don't need to be a CFI to be a Captain that can mentor a new FO. Just sayin.

I agree with mwflyer above, I too had a CFI who had NO desire to be in that job, made it clear he was only doing it to get the hours, couldn't wait to bail out to an airline. He then beotched about how Skywest didn't hire him and he couldn't figure out why. All while ***I*** was paying him for his time.

I requested the flight school to give me another CFI, and they did. He never said a word to me after that. Oh well.

You don't need to be a CFI to be a Captain that can mentor a new FO. Just sayin.

I agree with mwflyer above, I too had a CFI who had NO desire to be in that job, made it clear he was only doing it to get the hours, couldn't wait to bail out to an airline. He then beotched about how Skywest didn't hire him and he couldn't figure out why. All while ***I*** was paying him for his time.

I requested the flight school to give me another CFI, and they did. He never said a word to me after that. Oh well.

I had one also. He likely was a crappy captain when it came to to mentoring pilots though. If a person is a crappy professional, it does matter what setting you put them in. They will find a way to be crappy.

In my opinion, CFI's make bettee crewmember because the CRM foundation has already been set. Aside from the teaching and mentorship, a good portion of the job is monitoring, identifying problems, and communicating solutions in a positive manner. It's hard to gain that type of experience in any other time building gig.

Edited to add:

My CFI flying has been the most rewarding flying of my career. Most of my students were foreigners and are now Captains of airliners flying all over the world. It is extremely rewarding knowing that I helped to develop the foundation of their careers. One of my students contacted me some years back to thank me. While training with me, he thought I was overly tough. But while getting his first type rating in the A320, he said that he imagined me sitting next to him fussing about making small corrections and to keep his scan up while hand flying ILS approaches.

Honestly the students were just as helpful to me. I found my voice when it came to speaking up and developed my CRM techniques. CRM can't really be taught. It is learned through trial and error.

Last edited:
Just saw a popular meme page post that southern jets is hiring again. Anyone know if there’s truth to this?

Just saw a popular meme page post that southern jets is hiring again. Anyone know if there’s truth to this?
We haven’t heard anything yet. Although when our big bid closes next week we should have over 300 unfilled positions.

Back