SJI Displacements Cancelled

Got the memo this morning that all displacements from the May 2020 bid are cancelled that haven't trained already.

Do you have language that requires the Company to only train guys in reverse seniority order on down bids?

Do you have language that requires the Company to only train guys in reverse seniority order on down bids?
Not entirely sure, this appears to be confusing even for our most learned contract types. I'll wait for the union's likely impending comm on the poop storm this might cause.

For me, I was supposed to report to training two weeks from now for my new bird though that appears to be on hold. Awaiting confirmation, though I'll likely get re-displaced again in a few months so kicking the can down the road basically. Oh well, ski season is just getting good so I'd rather be home than the ATL anyway.

Not entirely sure, this appears to be confusing even for our most learned contract types. I'll wait for the union's likely impending comm on the poop storm this might cause.

If they have trained anybody down who is senior to somebody else getting trained down, especially if it is coming out of the same equipment type, that's hardly fair for the senior guy who has to go get paid less in a lower category aircraft for a while until a new bid sorts everything out.

If they have trained anybody down who is senior to somebody else getting trained down, especially if it is coming out of the same equipment type, that's hardly fair for the senior guy who has to go get paid less in a lower category aircraft for a while until a new bid sorts everything out.
True and I'm fairly certain we only do inverse training for these things as I've been waiting nearly a year to train.

Might be pay protection for their previous category until the most junior award is done training in the same seat. At least I think that's how I remember it working in the big U contract

Got the memo this morning that all displacements from the May 2020 bid are cancelled that haven't trained already. Hopefully a good sign overall, but still more shuffling to come yet. They are saying 85-90% pre-COVID capacity for summer 2022, might seem optimistic but sure hope so.

@SlumTodd_Millionaire you ugly foul, loathsone and unclean spirit of ZOOM and DOOM. You are NOT allowed to love this post. I name you unclean thing, I take away your dark power. You are forever disallowed, you are uninvited (you and your small lap dog, that suspiciously looks like a large cat). Depart from this place of joy, you raucous evil spirit born of Microsoft Teams and WEBEX "is the future." I resend your invitation to this place, you are cancelled, return again to the empty, sunken place where you said that travel and hiring will never again return to 2019 levels, for years, if ever again. A dark-some lonely place where you said airline profits won't return for at least ten years. Or longer.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Last edited:
@SlumTodd_Millionaire you ugly foul, loathsone and unclean spirit of ZOOM and DOOM. You are NOT allowed to love this post. I name you unclean thing, I take away your dark power. You are forever disallowed, you are uninvited (you and your small lap dog, that suspiciously looks like a large cat). Depart from this place of joy, you raucous evil spirit born of Microsoft Teams and WEBEX "is the future." I resend your invitation to this place, you are cancelled, return to the empty, sunken place where you said that travel and hiring will never again return to 2019 levels, for years, if ever again. A dark-some place where you said airline profits won't return for at least ten years. Or longer.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Don't worry, you still have me to gloompost about the industry's future.

@SlumTodd_Millionaire you ugly foul, loathsone and unclean spirit of ZOOM and DOOM. You are NOT allowed to love this post. I name you unclean thing, I take away your dark power. You are forever disallowed, you are uninvited (you and your small lap dog, that suspiciously looks like a large cat). Depart from this place of joy, you raucous evil spirit born of Microsoft Teams and WEBEX "is the future." I resend your invitation to this place, you are cancelled, return again to the empty, sunken place where you said that travel and hiring will never again return to 2019 levels, for years, if ever again. A dark-some lonely place where you said airline profits won't return for at least ten years. Or longer.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Eh, you’ll see. All this false optimism from the airlines is based on speculation about a quick bounce-back after the vaccine. I don‘t see it happening. Hope I’m wrong, though.

Eh, you’ll see. All this false optimism from the airlines is based on speculation about a quick bounce-back after the vaccine. I don‘t see it happening. Hope I’m wrong, though.
I've been one of the most optimistic people you'll find over the past 12 months, but I still :confused2: at the suggestion that DAL is going to be running new hire classes by late fall.

America’s aviation industry is where it’s at now thanks to a 3 time bailout AND payroll support. It’s not bad here, and if you want to see bad, just look at all the airlines in countries where the govt didn’t bail them out.

America’s aviation industry is where it’s at now thanks to a 3 time bailout AND payroll support. It’s not bad here, and if you want to see bad, just look at all the airlines in countries where the govt didn’t bail them out.

I find the thought process interesting, because if the big 3 (and others) were just left to fail, we'd see months before recovery as new carriers struggled to get certified all at once to fill the gap. Or would it be new people taking over old certificates, a "people shuffling?". Or would everyone just "unpause" and pickup where they left off.

I find the thought process interesting, because if the big 3 (and others) were just left to fail, we'd see months before recovery as new carriers struggled to get certified all at once to fill the gap. Or would it be new people taking over old certificates, a "people shuffling?". Or would everyone just "unpause" and pickup where they left off.

I don’t think they would have failed. They would have laid off 30-45%, making the cuts necessary to survive. It would have been terrible for labor but the airline industry would still come out in a smaller form after Covid.

I don’t think they would have failed. They would have laid off 30-45%, making the cuts necessary to survive. It would have been terrible for labor but the airline industry would still come out in a smaller form after Covid.

wonder what people would do with mortgages. It's not a great market in certain places to "fire sell"

Probably the latter, with the possible added benefit of painting some more things bright yellow.

Reactions: HJB
Think people tend to forget SJI was understaffed in 2019 and 2020 (before this hit). Getting by on massive amounts of green slips... As we just did during the holidays of 2020 as well. With 2k gone on top of that and another 500 to go by summer 2022, without hiring a pilot we are a 20% smaller airline anyways. We are passing out green slips still. So I think when people consider we "need" a recovery to some sort of pre-pandemic level to save all the pilot jobs, that's not the case for all airlines. In fact if there even was a rebound remotely close to that we surely wouldn't be staffed for it this year and probably won't next year. Nor have the fleet for it either. I'll take our networking and planning judgment over an airline forum opinion 100/100 times.

But we've beaten this dead horse for nearly a year, with the news of airlines hiring and pilots coming back I think everyone is happy and we should just focus on the positives.

Back