SJI Displacements Cancelled

Weird, at my shop the other pilot never has any question of what’s going on when, or going to go on. Thoughts/plans are voiced.

Like entering the traffic pattern. If I’m flying, i tell the other guy “plan on downwind about a 1.5 mile offset, 1500 AGL, 170/Flaps 5 entry. Approaching downwind abeam gear/flaps 15/150. Approaching the 180 abeam the numbers, flaps 30/ before landing and roll into downwind to final. Halfway down/halfway around at the 90, roll out 300/1 mile.”

Only difference is if we’re doing a touch and go, brief leave speed brake detent/disarmed, touchdown flaps 5, power advance, rotate at Vr and lift off. If another traffic pattern, leave it at flaps 5/170/all manual, if going to radar or departing the area, full cleanup, engage modes as desired.

I've recently learned from a few check airmen that my airline seems to be going to the route of "if it's not in the FOM or POH or expressly stated in the approach profile, you better not be doing it or talking about it". Like there is no longer any room for judgment or acting conservative with things, or trying to be proactive or preventative when you KNOW some thing is going to happen, but yes technically it does say X in the book. So if the other guy has forgotten which version of the plane he is landing and is about to biff it, you shouldn't say anything because that's not part of any approach callouts. Or you think you want anti-ice on before you get into the icy clouds or continuous before you actually get into the turbulence ir heavy precip? That is a no-go. There is no longer any flexibility or room for conservative judgment.

Example: The manual says continuous ignition is to be on for flight in moderate precip / turbulence, and even though you may have that at 500' a mile off the end of the runway a minute from now (most folks would turn on continuous ignition befire takeoff for that), turning that on before you take off is a no go because it's unnecessary and not a safety of flight issue because during takeoff you aren't flying yet, you are rolling on the ground. (Not kidding, was actually told this)

Which makes no (common) sense but that's where our training department and at least some LCAs are apparently guiding our pilots now.

Last edited:
I've recently learned from a few check airmen that my airline seems to be going to the route of "if it's not in the FOM or POH or expressly stated in the approach profile, you better not be doing it or talking about it". Like there is no longer any room for judgment or acting conservative with things, or trying to be proactive or preventative when you KNOW some thing is going to happen, but yes technically it does say X in the book. So if the other guy has forgotten which version of the plane he is landing and is about to biff it, you shouldn't say anything because that's not part of any approach callouts. Or you think you want anti-ice on before you get into the icy clouds or continuous before you actually get into the turbulence ir heavy precip? That is a no-go. There is no longer any flexibility or room for conservative judgment.

Example: The manual says continuous ignition is to be on for flight in moderate precip / turbulence, and even though you may have that at 500' a mile off the end of the runway a minute from now (most folks would turn on continuous ignition befire takeoff for that), turning that on before you take off is a no go because it's unnecessary and not a safety of flight issue because during takeoff you aren't flying yet, you are rolling on the ground. (Not kidding, was actually told this)

Which makes no (common) sense but that's where our training department and at least some LCAs are apparently guiding our pilots now.
Wow!

And here I thought Compass went out of business.

Wait...are you at GoJet?

9C3EE284-38B4-4A47-8019-7C1F391F2A9A.jpeg

A is Captain
B is First Officer
We do some weird nomenclature shizz, I remember while still at OO trying to check in for a DL deadhead and wondering what the crap a ‘Rotation’ and ‘Position Letter’ was.

I’ve ‘tactically’ been re-educated since.

We do some weird nomenclature shizz, I remember while still at OO trying to check in for a DL deadhead and wondering what the crap a ‘Rotation’ and ‘Position Letter’ was.

I’ve ‘tactically’ been re-educated since.

I still call it a pairing and had a captain say to me, "you make it sound as if it is something that goes with wine." My response, "well we are overnighting in SMF, the nearest vineyards are..."

Back