Sheppard Air ADX Prep

JT8D

So I'm studying for the ADX test, and my test prep question bank consists of around 996 questions. Is it recommended I memorize every single one of these questions? Or are their certain parts I'm better off not trying to memorize and stress over?

Sorry if this has been answered before. I did see another somewhat similar thread and Sheffield's test bank was around 300 questions less, so just want to get some clarification, please. :eek:

Thanks, ya'll.

Don't worry about holding patterns...learn all the regulations and all the weather questions.

Quite honestly, the best way to quickly pass the written is to concentrate on word association. The bank of answers and questions are verbatim on the test, so you don't even need to remember the content of the question. An example would be (and I don't know if this is relevant to today's test as the wording might here changed), the question is about what needs to be reported to the NTSB. Now you could try to remember every incident that triggers a need to make a report to the NTSB, or you can remember "tendon damage".

Remember, your mission is to pass the written, not master it. You'll have plenty of opportunity to wrap your head around the concepts. Treat the written as something to get behind you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

pljenkins said:
Quite honestly, the best way to quickly pass the written is to concentrate on word association. The bank of answers and questions are verbatim on the test, so you don't even need to remember the content of the question. An example would be (and I don't know if this is relevant to today's test as the wording might here changed), the question is about what needs to be reported to the NTSB. Now you could try to remember every incident that triggers a need to make a report to the NTSB, or you can remember "tendon damage". Remember, your mission is to pass the written, not master it. You'll have plenty of opportunity to wrap your head around the concepts. Treat the written as something to get behind you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

That is EXACTLY what I did. And to add to that, what helped me do that was the Gleim software rather than the book. The software allows you to set up practice tests in the same exact format as the actual written. I just took those practice tests over and over until I had the entire bank memorized. You can do the tests by section, which is what I did. Once I'd completed all sections, I did random tests of the entire bank. It doesn't take long. Not sure if Sheppard has something similar.

I remember using the Sheppard Air Prep/Study Guide and coming up with a pattern for memorizing w/b and flight times questions on when the answer was the low, medium, or high choice. This definitely saved some time and energy. I didn't care about the process, just wanted the answer to get the score.

Quite honestly, the best way to quickly pass the written is to concentrate on word association. The bank of answers and questions are verbatim on the test, so you don't even need to remember the content of the question. An example would be (and I don't know if this is relevant to today's test as the wording might here changed), the question is about what needs to be reported to the NTSB. Now you could try to remember every incident that triggers a need to make a report to the NTSB, or you can remember "tendon damage".

Remember, your mission is to pass the written, not master it. You'll have plenty of opportunity to wrap your head around the concepts. Treat the written as something to get behind you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Bahahaha. Word association is exactly what I have been doing for the majority of answers. So I'm not crazy! :smoke: Thank you for your response.

I remember using the Sheppard Air Prep/Study Guide and coming up with a pattern for memorizing w/b and flight times questions on when the answer was the low, medium, or high choice. This definitely saved some time and energy. I didn't care about the process, just wanted the answer to get the score.

Yup. Sheppard comes with a memory aid that allows you to answer questions by low/medium/high for certain sections.

Thanks for the answers, all. Now my new question... why the discrepancy in test bank possibilities between study programs?

JT8D said:
Now my new question... why the discrepancy in test bank possibilities between study programs?

I believe Gleim's question bank was also around 1500. They provide all known questions published by the FAA. All questions are fair game on the written. Remember, for the ADX, you can exclude the Part 135 section.

The questions that don't involve any calculations - which make up the bulk of questions - you actually pick up pretty easy.Then while every person is different, for me at least there were only some parts of that memory aid that were practical to memorize. Like the holding patterns you can write out a few times and you should be able to remember. The procedures to calculate W&B (also listed on memory aid) are much easier to memorize instead of the actual answers that are also listed on the memory aid.

The flight planning looks easy to memorize but even after repeatedly going over and writing it out, I was never able to completely remember it when it came to take the test. My plan was to go in and start writing out as much as memory aid that I remembered but the introduction and practice questions before the beginning of the test felt like they took forever and I was not sure if I could start writing before the test began. Saying that, It did definitely help but I also am pretty sure I got one or two flight planning questions on the test that were not in the Sheppard bank or memory aid and I felt that with the time spent trying to memorize the answers I probably would have been better to just practice working through the flight planning questions a few times.

There were also a few - not many - questions that were not in the Sheppard software. Also they seem to keep the actual ATP memory aid updated more than the ADX memory aid, so I noticed I got a question wrong on the test because I remembered the memory aid but when I looked at the ATP memory aid after the test I noticed it had been updated while the ADX memory aid had not (at that time anyway). Can't really complain because I passed after 10 days of studying.

The discrepancy I believe is that the FAA stopped publishing the questions and answers a few years ago. So if I were to take a guess - and since Sheppard I believe offer you some discount/refund (only for ATP test takers I believe) if you find a new question and let them know about it - is that Sheppard use a combination of the previously published questions and new/updated questions/answers reported to them by customers or some other way like taking lots of practice tests... Just kidding, I don't know but it is weird how they keep it so updated.

Last edited:
tommy said:
My plan was to go in and start writing out as much as memory aid that I remembered. There were also a few - not many - questions that were not in the Sheppard software.

I did that also...the things that were tough for me to remember, I rapidly wrote down as soon as I sat down. Helped immensely.

There will be 5-7 (can't remember the exact figure) questions that will be on the test that aren't part of the bank. They don't count for or against you though. For example, the test is graded on 80 questions. Then the FAA throws in a handful of other questions that don't count towards the score. What I was told was that they are questions that the FAA is testing out for publishing to the bank. Whether that's accurate or not, I don't know.

The discrepancy I believe is that the FAA stopped publishing the questions and answers a few years ago. So if I were to take a guess - and since Sheppard I believe offer you some discount/refund (only for ATP test takers I believe) if you find a new question and let them know about it - is that Sheppard use a combination of the previously published questions and new/updated questions/answers reported to them by customers or some other way like taking lots of practice tests... Just kidding, I don't know but it is weird how they keep it so updated.

Received this email:

Great question!
Yes, the 996 questions are all that you need to study to prepare you for taking you ADX written exam. We break down the larger bank of questions so that you are only study the questions that could possible be on your written exam, rather than studying a bunch of excess questions. We do have a no-surprise money back guarantee to back that up. If you find any questions on your ADX written exam that you didn't see in our Study Software, we will give you your money back as long as you have some feedback for us.

If I recall correctly there are included in the bank of questions a fair number of part 135 and rotorcraft questions which are irrelevant to the ADX so they are usually omitted from study guides.

the FAA also helpfully includes a random number of *bonus* questions that are meant solely for their research purposes. they don't count against you should you get them wrong. however they are really great about throwing you off your rhythym

For what it's worth, Many pilots on this forum swear by Sheppard. Some have stated that they only studied 2 or 3 days and got better than 95% and the ATP. Many have written this.
Like Womanpilot, I used the Gleim online tool. ($70) It was part of the kit at Jeppesen. It was great to be sure! Very well organized and it really analyzed your practice test results ind depth and could tell you exactly which sub chapters to study. Great tool.
I have only tried the Sheppard "demo" it worked well and seemed as good as the Gleim....but I have never heard of anyone using the Gleim for 3 days and getting 95% on the ATP or ADX.

Hello, has anyone taken the adx exam recently?... I dont know where to start with studying for it. Sheffields study prep is 1600 questions and answers and its super overwhelming. Can anyone offer me any suggestions?

Hello, has anyone taken the adx exam recently?... I dont know where to start with studying for it. Sheffields study prep is 1600 questions and answers and its super overwhelming. Can anyone offer me any suggestions?

I used Sheppard and it's only 1100 questions. They have a study guide that helps you memorize certain answers and have a feature that only displays the correct answers to the questions to help you memorize only what you need to.

Hi,

I'm at Sheffield (almost through week 4), and I took the ADX on April 30th (just before week 3). I used Sheffield's study materials, and I found them to be very helpful. They not only give you the right answer, but they tell you WHY it's right. I thought this was better, because if I froze and forgot something, then I could at least reason my way to an answer. Also, by using the Sheffield materials, you'll get to know the reference book that you'll use during the ADX; by the time I took the ADX, I knew exactly where to find everything, something you'll appreciate when the big day comes. BTW, I got a 91 when I took the ADX.

If you're using the Sheffield materials, here's how to do it: just go through the pdf files one by one; start at #1, then move on to #2, and so on. That's what I did, and it worked for me. I registered four months before school, so I'd have plenty of time to go through their materials. Be sure to do likewise. Also, other than the cockpit instrument stuff, the Sheffield materials helped me get ready for class; one reason I'm doing well so far is because I studied their materials.

Also, Sheffield has some EXCELLENT Powerpoints you want to go through. They have good ones for the DC-9 and B-737 questions. These will also prepare you for class, particularly when you get to systems. You'll see fuel graphs and stuff. If you've gone through the Powerpoints, the graphs won't be totally alien to you; you'll have enough familiarity to pick them up right away.

I also got the Sheppard app, but I didn't like it much. Their content is current and all, but they don't tell you WHY an answer is correct; see my comments above. Some people can memorize 1100 questions; I can't. I prefer to understand why something is right, so the Sheffield materials worked better for me. I can memorize things, but I'd rather be able to reason WHY something is right if my memory fails me. Sheffield's materials will do that for you, but the Sheppard Air won't.

Now, to be fair, I kept the Sheppard Air to do practice tests. Unfortunately, I never had time to take one. Between homework and ADX review, I simply did not have the time to take one. When the opportunity arose to take the ADX before week 3, I took it. I reviewed the Sheffield online quizzes; anything that I was weak on, I reviewed the associated pdf or Powerpoint for it. When I was scoring consistent 80-90% on the online quizzes, I thought that that was good enough, and it was.

Oh, and one other thing: don't come to school until you're almost ready to take the ADX, and I mean ready to take it before week 3. If you can do it before arriving, that would be even better. I can't emphasize this enough! Don't come down here until you are READY to take the ADX. That means you've gone through the Sheppard Air or done the Sheffield materials IN THEIR ENTIRETY BEFORE ARRIVING. I did this, leaving me with a simple review. Sheffield recommends you study four hours a day, and that's a bare minimum. If you can focus on your school work, things will be so much easier for you. Many of my classmates failed the ADX, and they have to retake it in week 4 or 5, just when things are getting very busy. They have to juggle their coursework AND the ADX! That's not where you want to be, because things start off busy and get more so as you continue. You want to have the time to focus on your coursework, particularly after week 3.

Those are my thoughts. Others will swear by the Sheppard Air app, and they've done well using it. If I were you, I'd use the Sheffield materials. Not only will they prepare you for the ADX; they'll prepare you for class also. Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Last edited:
That is EXACTLY what I did. And to add to that, what helped me do that was the Gleim software rather than the book. The software allows you to set up practice tests in the same exact format as the actual written. I just took those practice tests over and over until I had the entire bank memorized. You can do the tests by section, which is what I did. Once I'd completed all sections, I did random tests of the entire bank. It doesn't take long. Not sure if Sheppard has something similar.

If you know what software type your ADX testing facility uses you can then possibly emulate questions in that software's format. When I went through the test there were only 3 or 4 software vendors and all could be emulated. Not sure how many vendors there are today.

I took the ADX about 6 months ago, and used Sheppard Air. This was my strategy (96%, so it must'a worked):

- Go through all of the questions, starting with the first section. The questions kinda break down into 4 main categories:
-- 1. Stuff you know. Ignore all of this. (hopefully, there is at least some)
-- 2. Stuff with charts. If you can learn how to run through the chart and find the answer, ignore all of these too. Just run the chart during the exam.
-- 3. Other stuff with charts. Some of the charts are just not possible. Many of them are too grainy to run accurately. Several of them are in focus well enough, but the ability to come out of the other side with a different answer every single time is frustrating. Especially when your answer is less than all of the available answers one time, and then higher than all of the available answers the next time, and smack dab in the middle a third time. Don't spend any effort on these charts - just "mark" them for memorization later.
-- 4. Stuff that you don't know and is just pure rote memorization. "Mark" these for memorization later.

When you get done with each section, you'll have "marked" a lot of questions. Now it's just time to go through them over and over. And over. And over again. Like flash cards. As you knock out the easy ones and they become permanently glued into your brain, "un-mark" them and stop looking at them. Do this with each section. Then, unmark everything and go through ALL of the questions from ALL of the sections in random order. You'll have memorized a good deal by this point, but you'll also have forgotten some things you HAD memorized. That's ok. As you go through everything, just mark the ones you don't know. Now, repeat the "flashcard" process, but for the entire question bank, not just individual sections.

When it comes to memorization, some things I found easier to memorize one way (word association), and some things were easier to memorize a different way. All of the flight-plan questions (how long does it take to get from LAX to PHX.... or how much fuel will you burn from PHL to BDL) CAN be answered by just doing the math, but this can take an hour per question if you're still new. If I remember right, there were about 40 of these questions and I just wrote them all down in order. LAX-PHX at .74mach, .76, .78. Etc. Each route had 3 or 4 different speeds to calculate for. Each one had a different answer (obviously). For the most part, none of the "right" answers were repeated as a wrong answer anywhere else. So, if the right answer was 1:04, there was never another 1:04 in any other question. So, I basically just memorized all of the correct times... :36, 1:04, 1:07, 1:12 are still times that stick with me as right answers. Same thing with the fuel questions: if 6408 total fuel was a right answer (and that is one of them I still remember), then that number doesn't appear anywhere else. So... don't even other with memorizing the associated question: just remember all of the correct times and numbers, and when you see that number in the list of answers, just select it and move on to the next question. (NOTE: there were two different routes where the "right" time was also listed as a "wrong" choice in a different question, so just be aware of those two questions and adjust for them)

I personally think it's easier to "learn" some of the things, so that you don't have to memorize them. Like looking at the instruments and knowing what they're saying. If you can look at the VOR indicator and tell "where" the aircraft is at, that's about 40 questions you no longer have to memorize. Also, the holding pattern entry procedures: once I learned about the "POD Method", I could answer all of the questions without memorization. (http://www.langleyflyingschool.com/Pages/Holds and Hold Entriesl.html). Learn how to read an instrument approach plate, and know what the different things mean. You're going to get asked a lot of these questions on your oral anyway, so you may as well get to know a good chunk of the "easy to know" ones now, if possible. There are many things that you can "learn" while going through these questions. The more you know, the less you have to rely on memorization.

Several of my classmates (local State University) went into the ADX prep with the idea that they were just going to memorize the entire thing. Several of them failed, and a few came close. To me, 1000 questions (or whatever it is) is just way too frickin many questions to try to memorize. If you are able to get with someone who has private/instrument ground knowledge (preferably an instructor)... or even better yet, TAKE a private ground class and if possible an instrument ground class (if that's not part of your dispatcher class curriculum). That's probably more than most people want to do when they have a time crunch, but if you have the time, this will cover a HUGE chunk of your ADX exam, and you won't have to memorize them. Plus, those two classes are a HUGE part of what your oral exam will cover, and you'll sound more intelligent by knowing this stuff as opposed to sounding like a robot who memorized it.

Back