Sheppard Air ADX Prep

I mostly used the Sheffield ADX App and got over 90%. I was able to sit by the pool and study with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know some classmates have the app, and they like it. I never got it, because I still don't own a smart phone; yes, I still use (gasp!) an old flip phone...

You said you mostly used the app. What else did you use aside from the app?
Before I left for my classes at Sheffield, I was using their app to help me study for the ADX test. It's super helpful and thorough, don't misunderstand me. However comma, I found the Sheppard Air app to be way more effective in a short amount of time to get an 80% on the ADX.
If you're looking to learn stuff? Sheffield app. If you're just looking to pass the ADX? Sheppard Air app.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: nyk
Does anyone remember what was on the test, because i was told not to remember things like the holding patterns, its superfluous.

Does anyone remember what was on the test, because i was told not to remember things like the holding patterns, its superfluous.

I took the ADX very recently and had no holding pattern questions. Anyone who has taken the test recently cannot tell you exactly what you will get because you will be asked a more or less random sample from the current FAA test bank. You can't go wrong with Sheppard Air or Gleim. I think even though the Gleim has more questions to study, it is more current.

So guys its the end of the first week at sheffield, and i have already cried 4 times (and i hear it gets more intense!). I am not one to cry, so i know this is really intense. Is there anything you guys from sheffield can help me with as far as a study strategy or anything?!

Seriously,don't worry about the "why" on answers on the ADX. Study,pass the test,and purge. Ask anyone the last time they had to know which way a HSI indicator was pointing or when the last time they had to calculate loads of pallets....the answer is never.

I second what azmedic said. The best piece of advice I got when studying for that ridiculous test was to memorize the answers. I didn't try to understand any of it and got a 91%. Those in my class that studied to understand it spent much more time preparing for it and didn't do nearly as well, some didn't even pass.

Save your brain space for what is actually important and applicable, such as the basic regs, weather theory concepts, and reading TAFs/METARs/NOTAMS, etc. Don't spend time learning how to do 30 minute calculations you will never use when the answer can be easily recognized after seeing it a few times. That was the Sheppard Air strategy and it worked wonders.

Above all, don't panic. Just familiarize yourself with the correct answers as much as you can and you'll find yourself remembering them and passing the test with flying colors. This is coming from someone who was super stressed out about it.

So guys its the end of the first week at sheffield, and i have already cried 4 times (and i hear it gets more intense!). I am not one to cry, so i know this is really intense. Is there anything you guys from sheffield can help me with as far as a study strategy or anything?!
I don't know what you did before arriving at Sheffield, but I studied for four months to prepare. I studied all the online quizzes and the pdfs Sheffield has for the ADX before coming. That meant all I had to do was review after arriving. My goal was to get the ADX out of the way before week 3, which I did. That made things easier when they got more intense.

While stuff like the HSI indicator aren't relevant and won't be mentioned in the course, much of the other stuff will be. You WILL see burnoff graphs again! You WILL see fuel burn charts for climb and descent again. You will see the regs again. I hope and pray you got a lot of the ADX material out of the way before going to school.

Over half my class washed out-over half! That is to say that over half the people who started didn't get their dispatch license. The common thread I saw in many of them was lack of preparation BEFORE COMING; they take the ADX seriously. I hope and pray you took it seriously and prepared. In the course as in much of life, preparation is a BIGGIE!

The only other thing I can tell you is be willing to study at least four hours a day during the week, and at least six on Saturday & Sunday. If you're in student housing and read the notebook they have, they tell you this. If you're not in student housing, I'm telling you right here, right now, be prepared to study 4 hours a day during the week and 6 each day of the weekend. I did 4-5 during the week, while doing 6-7 on Sat & Sun, on average. Before taking the ADX (the Sunday before week 3), I spent 10+ hours reviewing everything.

I hope that this helps. I hope and pray you prepared for the ADX BEFORE COMING! If not, better buckle down and work your ass off. Take it day by day, hour by hour, and minute by minute, if you have to. Good luck.

Just remember, this is the easy part of your dispatching career. Your first dispatching job training will be more intense that what you go through getting your license. The job is largely unsupervised and you will need to be very independent. Some times your fellow dispatchers will be too busy to help and wont be able to help with things you should already know how to do. If you have to take the regional route, there will be times that the low pay and super early morning/midnight starts will make you seriously consider what you got yourself into. Its not good to be in tears so early in your dispatch career.

Greetings! Much like everyone mentioned previously, you are only studying to pass (not master) the ADX written. I used word/answer association because the 1200+ question bank is a lot, but surmountable. Took me 3 weeks of solid studying to take the written and passed it on my first attempt. I conducted my ADX training via Part 141 so I took my practical at the end of the second dispatch course, which I recently passed with flying colors (no pun intended).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I would be happy to discuss further.

Thank you guys for the much needed inspiration, it truly helps. And as for studying prior to coming for the adx, I opt for the sheppard air and their recommendation was 25 hours of study time. So i only studied a week before coming. I dont plan to learn the adx, but just to memorize it, at sheffield they recommend that as well. And i live in miami, like 30 mins away, so unfortunately i dont have the luxury of living down the street. But its ok, because i still study at home.

Thank you guys for the much needed inspiration, it truly helps. And as for studying prior to coming for the adx, I opt for the sheppard air and their recommendation was 25 hours of study time. So i only studied a week before coming. I dont plan to learn the adx, but just to memorize it, at sheffield they recommend that as well. And i live in miami, like 30 mins away, so unfortunately i dont have the luxury of living down the street. But its ok, because i still study at home.
Miami is close enough. One of my classmates lives in Pembroke Pines. He wanted to take all three workshops, but he only took two because he had stuff to do at home; he planned on taking the third one later. He has that luxury because he lives close to Sheffield. 30 minutes is not far away at all...

Last edited:
30 minutes will look like nothing when you find yourself on a 2 leg commute for your first regional gig

30 minutes will look like nothing when you find yourself on a 2 leg commute for your first regional gig

You got that right! If GoJet is interested, I'm going to have to commute until I can arrange a move to STL. Man, I DREAD that!

Back