ADX Test Prep recommendations.

Thruve

I’m due to start my 5 week course here in the next few months, and although I’ve been studying for the past 2 months I must say I feel like I should try a different study method or try different prep material. I’ve currently been using a prep App provided to me from the school I will be attending, but I’ve seen recommendations online from other forums suggesting that Sheppard Air’s $85 prep material is also really good. For those who have used it, Is it a good $85 investment in comparison to everything else? They say there’s a guarantee ‘no surprise’ question when you take your written, although I’m assuming that doesn’t apply to mathematical questions that would otherwise use the same variables. Thoughts?

I’m due to start my 5 week course here in the next few months, and although I’ve been studying for the past 2 months I must say I feel like I should try a different study method or try different prep material. I’ve currently been using a prep App provided to me from the school I will be attending, but I’ve seen recommendations online from other forums suggesting that Sheppard Air’s $85 prep material is also really good. For those who have used it, Is it a good $85 investment in comparison to everything else? They say there’s a guarantee ‘no surprise’ question when you take your written, although I’m assuming that doesn’t apply to mathematical questions that would otherwise use the same variables. Thoughts?

Never used it but I’d say most of the people in my class used it and liked it

I used Sheppard air app. Finished my ADX in 15 minutes and got a 90%. Sheppard only helps you to memorize the answers. So if you don’t think you can remember the answer to 700 questions or whatever it is- I wouldn’t waste the money.

I’d highly recommend Sheppard, got in the 80s with my ADX. But follow the method they tell you or you will waste time and money.

I used Gleim. Cost like 30 bucks a access to prep tests. Got a 96. The ADX is all about memorizing the test. Do enough prep tests and it's a breeze.

I used Gleim. Cost like 30 bucks a access to prep tests. Got a 96. The ADX is all about memorizing the test. Do enough prep tests and it's a breeze.

Yep. Online with Gleim. It isn't really knowing, it is memorizing. Go through all 1,300 or whatever amount of questions they are up to now and know the answer. After a while it should be muscle memory. See the first few words and the answer should be instinct.

Skip the weird graph and interpolations. They're dumb.

I attended Sheffield, and I used their ADX prep materials. Their materials are very good, which is a big reason why I chose them. I spent 3-4 hours a day for two months going through their PDFs. Not only did they prepare me for the ADX; they helped prepare me for school too, because much of what I studied I saw again in class, e.g. the performance graphs. I also tried the Sheppard Air. While it was ok and helped me with some things, it doesn't jibe with my learning style. I need to study something, analyze it, and do it. I need to understand WHY something is the way it is. Sheffield's ADX prep materials were perfect for me and my learning style, so that's what I used.

Let me ask you this: have you attended college or other post-secondary school? Did you attend a technical school, either in the civilian world or the military? What kind of learning worked for you then? How did you study? That might guide you in what you should do now. If something worked for me in the past, then I'm inclined to stick with that approach.

My school provided a package from Gleim. After class I would just go to Starbucks and take advantage of getting free refills as a gold member for a few hours going over both the book and online tests. I think i got somewhere in the low 80s. But it's either pass or fail when it comes to if the test counted. Your ADX score isn't printed on your certificate. It's like the saying goes "What do you call someone who graduated bottom of their med school class? Doctor"

My school provided a package from Gleim. After class I would just go to Starbucks and take advantage of getting free refills as a gold member for a few hours going over both the book and online tests. I think i got somewhere in the low 80s. But it's either pass or fail when it comes to if the test counted. Your ADX score isn't printed on your certificate. It's like the saying goes "What do you call someone who graduated bottom of their med school class? Doctor"

Scoring in the 90s means you tried too hard.

All these overachievers. Sheesh.

The FAA wants 70%. Give 'em 70%. Bada bing bada boom and you're off to the practical.

Your first two years on the desk are going to be like this anyway (or longer...still doing this...)....

wtf.JPG

Last edited:
You don't get any medals for scoring over 70% on the ADX; as long as you get at least 70%, you're good to go... :)

I attended Sheffield, and I used their ADX prep materials. Their materials are very good, which is a big reason why I chose them. I spent 3-4 hours a day for two months going through their PDFs. Not only did they prepare me for the ADX; they helped prepare me for school too, because much of what I studied I saw again in class, e.g. the performance graphs. I also tried the Sheppard Air. While it was ok and helped me with some things, it doesn't jibe with my learning style. I need to study something, analyze it, and do it. I need to understand WHY something is the way it is. Sheffield's ADX prep materials were perfect for me and my learning style, so that's what I used.

Let me ask you this: have you attended college or other post-secondary school? Did you attend a technical school, either in the civilian world or the military? What kind of learning worked for you then? How did you study? That might guide you in what you should do now. If something worked for me in the past, then I'm inclined to stick with that approach.
I’m much like you in the sense that I prefer to fully understand concepts and what it is that I need to know, and then some, versus just memorizing questions and answers to pass a test. At first I began reading all those PDF files you mentioned, some hundreds of pages long, and then using Sheffield’s app to recall the information I retained. After reading weather theory, AIM, and The graphic/non graphic weather pdf, I was told most of the remaining knowledge can be more or less memorized. I have all these PDF files saved on my iCloud and I will be going over the graphic/non graphic weather one again here soon to master weather charts. Like others have said above, I’m assuming that mastering charts will make schooling easier.
I saved sections of FAR/CFR for quick access and have been looking up questions myself to familiarize myself with looking stuff up more easily.
I think I’m just nervous since I know the school I’m going to is a great school, at least by what I’ve heard from others and by reviews, therefore I’ve set a higher than normal standard for myself to grasp everything before hand so I can pass and make a career out of this; to succeed at it and make a name for myself.
If I come out alive Im intending on making a YouTube channel with all recommended videos that have helped me understand concepts for others like us who are diving into the field, or intend to, without having had any experience once so ever. From weather theory, reading graphs and charts, to understanding aerodynamics, I’ve found many videos pertaining to ADX material that I want to bundle up in one place via a recc channel. I’d gladly make videos of my own but I’m not in the field yet. Just yesterday I watched a few videos by the same individual going over how to find/File for alternates, read ILS approaches, which was more practical for me than reading how to do so. I sent them a message asking for more videos and how helpful they were but given the views, they aren’t making squat for the effort. I’m assuming they used the videos for class and just needed an easy upload resource. Anyhow, we shall see what comes of this. Let the studying commence yet again.

I’m much like you in the sense that I prefer to fully understand concepts and what it is that I need to know, and then some, versus just memorizing questions and answers to pass a test. At first I began reading all those PDF files you mentioned, some hundreds of pages long, and then using Sheffield’s app to recall the information I retained. After reading weather theory, AIM, and The graphic/non graphic weather pdf, I was told most of the remaining knowledge can be more or less memorized. I have all these PDF files saved on my iCloud and I will be going over the graphic/non graphic weather one again here soon to master weather charts. Like others have said above, I’m assuming that mastering charts will make schooling easier.
I saved sections of FAR/CFR for quick access and have been looking up questions myself to familiarize myself with looking stuff up more easily.
I think I’m just nervous since I know the school I’m going to is a great school, at least by what I’ve heard from others and by reviews, therefore I’ve set a higher than normal standard for myself to grasp everything before hand so I can pass and make a career out of this; to succeed at it and make a name for myself.
If I come out alive Im intending on making a YouTube channel with all recommended videos that have helped me understand concepts for others like us who are diving into the field, or intend to, without having had any experience once so ever. From weather theory, reading graphs and charts, to understanding aerodynamics, I’ve found many videos pertaining to ADX material that I want to bundle up in one place via a recc channel. I’d gladly make videos of my own but I’m not in the field yet. Just yesterday I watched a few videos by the same individual going over how to find/File for alternates, read ILS approaches, which was more practical for me than reading how to do so. I sent them a message asking for more videos and how helpful they were but given the views, they aren’t making squat for the effort. I’m assuming they used the videos for class and just needed an easy upload resource. Anyhow, we shall see what comes of this. Let the studying commence yet again.
Thruve,

One big reason I prefer to understand something vs. memorize it is if I freeze up during the test, I can REASON my way to the answer. Also, much of the material you WILL see again! You'll see weather theory, non-graphic WX, and non-graphic WX within the first week of class; I guarantee it. If you make it to the performance graph pdfs, you'll see that again too. Now, granted the graphs are for a B737 while you'll study the B727 in class, but they're both BOEING PRODUCTS; as such, if you can figure out the 737 graphs, you'll have no problem with the 727 graphs, either. Aircraft manufacturers like to do their performance tables, charts, and graphs a certain way, so if you understand one of them, you'll understand all of them from that manufacturer; Exhibit A is the Boeing graphs. So, if you go through the Sheffield pdfs, not only will you do well on the ADX; you'll be prepared for class too because you will have seen much of it before.

Also, they give you access to nice PowerPoint presentations on how to do the graphs, deal with the HSI questions, etc. I would DEFINITELY look at those. The HSI PowerPoint was a godsend to me! They give you some quick and dirty tricks for figuring out those questions. You'll NEVER see that again after the ADX, but it's there. Just follow Sheffield's advice for the HSI questions, and you'll be fine.

That's not to say memorization doesn't have its place; it does. You'll need to memorize the abbreviations for non-graphic WX; symbols for graphic WX; you'll DEFINITELY need to memorize the HSI questions; and you need to memorize the answers to the BS questions like do you have enough runway to stop if your engine dies. There are certain things that are better off memorized, because you'll never see those things again.

What I really like about Sheffield's pdf files are: 1) they explain WHY one answer is more correct than the others; and 2) they provide references for further study. They'll point you to the AIM, the PHAK, the IFH, etc., so you can study more if you like. I didn't hit the books on everything, but I did dig deeper into certain subjects that fascinated me, such as swept wing aerodynamics, critical mach number, etc.

You seem to have the desire, which is a large part of the battle. I think you also have the right mindset. Between the two, I think you'll do well. Good luck!

Do all the major schools like Jepp, IFOD, Sheffield provide prep apps/materials? Also, what is the format on the ADX written exam? Is it a paper/pen exam or on a PC? how many questions and how long does one have to take the exam? I am using the Gleim ATP test prep book. At least a couple of questions have referred to the EL-B flight computer or something(?) What materials are permitted in the exam?

Do all the major schools like Jepp, IFOD, Sheffield provide prep apps/materials? Also, what is the format on the ADX written exam? Is it a paper/pen exam or on a PC? how many questions and how long does one have to take the exam? I am using the Gleim ATP test prep book. At least a couple of questions have referred to the EL-B flight computer or something(?) What materials are permitted in the exam?
IAD,

I'll try to answer your questions below.

Do all the major schools provide ADX prep materials?

I believe that they do, but I can't speak to what they are. I can tell you about Sheffield's materials since I graduated from there.

What is the format of the ADX exam?

It's an 80 question, multiple choice test administered on PC at Sheffield. I don't know if this is the case at the other schools. There's no telling where (i.e. the subject matter) the questions will come from; out of the 80 questions, I got like 8 on cargo pallets. You have three hours to complete the test, though I didn't need that long; I was finished in an hour or so.

What materials are permitted in the exam?

Pencils, a calculator, and an E6-B flight computer. They'll give you scrap paper.

As for the E6-B, Sheffield supplied them when we started class; you turn them in when you finish. I had my own, because I like and collect them, but you don't NEED to have one. Your school should supply them. Call and ask about this before you sign up.

I hope that this helps. If you have any other questions, PM me. Good luck!

IAD,

I'll try to answer your questions below.

Do all the major schools provide ADX prep materials?

I believe that they do, but I can't speak to what they are. I can tell you about Sheffield's materials since I graduated from there.

What is the format of the ADX exam?

It's an 80 question, multiple choice test administered on PC at Sheffield. I don't know if this is the case at the other schools. There's no telling where (i.e. the subject matter) the questions will come from; out of the 80 questions, I got like 8 on cargo pallets. You have three hours to complete the test, though I didn't need that long; I was finished in an hour or so.

What materials are permitted in the exam?

Pencils, a calculator, and an E6-B flight computer. They'll give you scrap paper.

As for the E6-B, Sheffield supplied them when we started class; you turn them in when you finish. I had my own, because I like and collect them, but you don't NEED to have one. Your school should supply them. Call and ask about this before you sign up.

I hope that this helps. If you have any other questions, PM me. Good luck!
This is very helpful. Thank you for your prompt response.

This is very helpful. Thank you for your prompt response.
You're welcome, but it occurred to me that I didn't answer one of the questions completely. Sheffield's ADX prep materials consist of a set of pdf files. When you sign up and pay your deposit, you'll get access to them. Each file is devoted to one part or subject of the ADX. They post the question, show the correct response, then tell you WHY the correct response is the best one. They also have references to each of the questions, so you can dig deeper if you have the time and inclination to do so; for example, if a topic is covered in more detail in the Instrument Flying Handbook, or IFH, Sheffield will tell you that this topic is covered in the IFH and tell you the page number. For example, I remember something in the ADX materials about critical mach numbers; being an aviation geek, that subject interested me, so I consulted the reference Sheffield gave in their ADX prep materials (PHAK, IIRC). Since their materials jibed with my learning style, that's one reason why I chose Sheffield. That wasn't the only reason I chose Sheffield, but it was one of the major factors as to why I chose them. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Back