Sheffield Online Course

r311music

I have been reading this forum a ton for the past few weeks and I have seen a few members mention this program. I think a few also have completed it. This may be the best option for me, as I would like to keep my current job while I work on getting the class done.

Overall how was it? How many hours a day did you have to dedicate to the program? Also how long did you end up having to stay in FLL for the in class portion?

The on-line training lacks the many benefits of having a live instructor answer questions, and actually teach the concepts. When they finish you up in FLL, it's a large class, so there's very little one-on-one attention. I've trained some students that have gone through that program (and many that have gone through full-length programs), and not a single one would reccommend it.

The on-line training lacks the many benefits of having a live instructor answer questions, and actually teach the concepts. When they finish you up in FLL, it's a large class, so there's very little one-on-one attention. I've trained some students that have gone through that program (and many that have gone through full-length programs), and not a single one would reccommend it.

Well I kinda see your point but I went to AGS and did the online deal and went to CVG for a week for the end of it... Don't really know if it would have been better to go to Sheffield for the entire thing or somewhere else. But I have also never worked as a dispatcher yet (maybe never will) but like the A@P there were guys who spent 40k at Spartan or Embry Riddle for an A@P and while they got great training it really didn't matter since they had no real world experience their 40K A@P was no better than the guy who spent 4K. ..Companies look for experience for the most part and not where that guy got his ticket. In the dispatch world it might be good to go for the better program as the total investment is usually not as much as an A@P.

The on-line training lacks the many benefits of having a live instructor answer (to) questions, and actually teach the concepts. When they finish you up in FLL, it's a large class, so there's very little one-on-one attention. I've trained some students that have gone through that program (and many that have gone through full-length programs), and not a single one would reccommend it.
There is nothing wrong with opinions and hearsay. That being said, Mr. FMS, who now appears to be a newly-hired dispatcher at Delta Air Lines, forgot to mention the 2-4 months of telephone and email assistance offered to ALL of our online students, yet unused by some. He also forgot to mention our free after-hours tutoring, which is sometimes 1-on-1, or close to it. Also omitted were the differences in prerequisites between Sheffield and others. He also neglected to mention that Sheffield has 3 versions of "blended learning" courses: 3-week, 2-week, and 1-week residency durations - all FAA approved, and with a multitude of testimonials online. He also left off the fact that if we see an online student having issues, we offer to transfer them into a program that is more fitting, often at a discounted tuition rate, yet some opt not to take our advice. Also, there may just be a reason why we price our 2-week duration only $100 more than the 1-week portion (occasionally attended by the "I'm experienced and know everything already" individuals who actually know nothing or those who simply procrastinate.) The DL classes occasionally complete their residency portion in a separate classroom by the way. I will admit that most people should enroll in a longer duration (residency) program, but the reason is because most "wanna-get-it-done-fast" online learners who may have clicked their way through trade school or their college courses, with open-book cheating on tests (we all know it's done), seem to encounter something different with us - validation. Admittedly, I cannot help you if you walk into my 5 or 10-day program, after learning, reviewing, quizzing, and testing online, for up to 3-4 months, with the ability to seek help, only to have you answer "uhhh..I don't know" to the question "What is the definition of pressure altitude?" or "What the purpose of checking the MEA on your route?" You either procrastinated then crammed, and/or cheated, failed to read simple text, or couldn't retain information, or you had no aptitude. Naturally, though, it will always be the school's fault...Anyway, good luck at Delta. I personally trained over 110+ people there. Their OCC hiring requirement used to be that you had to pass MY dispatch program, even if you already were FAA AD certified from a non-Sheffield school. That type of comprehensive dispatch program is what we still instruct here, whether online or in-house. I believe they have their own in-house program, but interestingly enough, my former students there still recommend us to others. I'll leave off the part about how many "graduates of other schools" could not get hired into their OCC and why. Anybody using logic can figure out the reason. I will be loading more testimonials online soon. One grad just got hired by a major airline, the other grad from 2 classes ago just got an interview at United - both Sheffield online grads - yeah, ....we suck. Eric Morris-Sheffield School (est. 1948)

Well I kinda see your point but I went to AGS and did the online deal and went to CVG for a week for the end of it... Don't really know if it would have been better to go to Sheffield for the entire thing or somewhere else. But I have also never worked as a dispatcher yet (maybe never will) but like the A@P there were guys who spent 40k at Spartan or Embry Riddle for an A@P and while they got great training it really didn't matter since they had no real world experience their 40K A@P was no better than the guy who spent 4K. ..Companies look for experience for the most part and not where that guy got his ticket. In the dispatch world it might be good to go for the better program as the total investment is usually not as much as an A@P.

Regarding dispatch, you may be correct, depending on the hiring airline. On December 11, one airline hired a Sheffield graduate, who was told his lack of experience was waived because he attended Sheffield - it was emailed to me so it can be backed up. Southern Air waives the international experience prerequisite if the applicant attended Sheffield's international and ETOPs workshops. (I only assume they still do this..) There's many more examples. EM/SS

There is nothing wrong with opinions and hearsay. That being said, Mr. FMS, who now appears to be a newly-hired dispatcher at Delta Air Lines, forgot to mention the 2-4 months of telephone and email assistance offered to ALL of our online students, yet unused by some. He also forgot to mention our free after-hours tutoring, which is sometimes 1-on-1, or close to it. Also omitted were the differences in prerequisites between Sheffield and others. He also neglected to mention that Sheffield has 3 versions of "blended learning" courses: 3-week, 2-week, and 1-week residency durations - all FAA approved,)

Mr. Morris, I am not trying to attack you or your school but does it really matter if he failed to mention the different programs that your school offers? I am sure most people who are looking at your school have been to your website and are aware of what programs Sheffield offers...To be honest, It's almost like you are a communist that won't let anyone have an option who went to your school and you make every effort to correct them...it really makes me wonder if they are telling the truth and that you are just trying to shroud the truth from perspective students. Personally, I think it makes you look very unprofessional and if I was a perspective student, I would not attend your school

Mr. Morris, I am not trying to attack you or your school but does it really matter if he failed to mention the different programs that your school offers? I am sure most people who are looking at your school have been to your website and are aware of what programs Sheffield offers...To be honest, It's almost like you are a communist that won't let anyone have an option who went to your school and you make every effort to correct them...it really makes me wonder if they are telling the truth and that you are just trying to shroud the truth from perspective students. Personally, I think it makes you look very unprofessional and if I was a perspective student, I would not attend your school

+1 ( but I don't think Mr. Morris is a Communist either!) Just need to chill out a bit. Lots of good info all over this forum about Sheffield. No need to get the undergarments in a twisty.

I guess I may have been harsh but my point is that Mr Morris doesn't need to come out and defend his school, I find it unprofessional, rude and somewhat psychotic of him not to let have people that went to his school have an opinion, people are still going to attend his school regardless of bad reviews.

I agree with LawDXer. I think it is highly unprofessional. I feel like since Mr. Morris joined the forum it's turned our sub forum into a massive Sheffield sales pitch. If that's the case... Then let's contact all the other DX schools and advise them they should also join JetCareers and have them post about their schools in the forum. And Mr. Morris, if the quality of your school is as good as you say. Then there is no need for you to be here. Let the people choose without the owner lurking a forum heavily trafficked by inspiring dispatchers. There is a good enough Pro-Sheffield following here to not warrant your constant defensive posts about why your school is the best. Let the non-affiliates do the work...

I have been reading this forum a ton for the past few weeks and I have seen a few members mention this program. I think a few also have completed it. This may be the best option for me, as I would like to keep my current job while I work on getting the class done.

Overall how was it? How many hours a day did you have to dedicate to the program? Also how long did you end up having to stay in FLL for the in class portion?

I did Sheffield's on-line course and then 2 weeks in Florida. I worked full-time while doing the on-line course work; some weeks, I only studied 7-8hours, while other weeks up to 20 hours. While in Florida, I studied 4-6 hr/ day outside of class. It depended on the subject. I was familiar with aviation weather, ATC procedures and charts, but the course was still a challenge!
I highly recommend Sheffield, it is a well organized program and Eric is very knowledgeable man with the heart of a teacher.

My $0.02

I agree with LawDXer. I think it is highly unprofessional. I feel like since Mr. Morris joined the forum it's turned our sub forum into a massive Sheffield sales pitch. If that's the case... Then let's contact all the other DX schools and advise them they should also join JetCareers and have them post about their schools in the forum. And Mr. Morris, if the quality of your school is as good as you say. Then there is no need for you to be here. Let the people choose without the owner lurking a forum heavily trafficked by inspiring dispatchers. There is a good enough Pro-Sheffield following here to not warrant your constant defensive posts about why your school is the best. Let the non-affiliates do the work...

I also have to agree as well with both PHL_Approach and LawDXer, until I started reading these replays over the last few days from emorris, I was considering attending Sheffield this year as my first choice but have now eliminated them as any of my choices due to the fact that I feel that he has some serious personal issues that he needs to work out when anything negative is said about his school. Further more, his actions are very unprofessional and shows a integrity issue. As PHL_Approach pointed out, this sub forum should be for dispatchers and not a sales pitch for the Sheffield, instead he (Eric Morris) gets huffy and puffy when anything is negative said about the school and starts to points out what downfalls you have had at the school.

I believe that the people who have made comments about the school are telling the truth and Eric is just trying to cover something up.

I did Sheffield's on-line course and then 2 weeks in Florida. I worked full-time while doing the on-line course work; some weeks, I only studied 7-8hours, while other weeks up to 20 hours. While in Florida, I studied 4-6 hr/ day outside of class. It depended on the subject. I was familiar with aviation weather, ATC procedures and charts, but the course was still a challenge!
I highly recommend Sheffield, it is a well organized program and Eric is very knowledgeable man with the heart of a teacher.

My $0.02

That was exactly what I was looking for information wise. I'm debating the one or two week residency program as my current job has a pretty flexible schedule.

That was exactly what I was looking for information wise. I'm debating the one or two week residency program as my current job has a pretty flexible schedule.

I started the online part with intentions of doing the one week residency, but as I studied the material, it became obvious that I needed more teaching, so I switched to the 2-week residency.

Do you have a strong background in aviation?

I started the online part with intentions of doing the one week residency, but as I studied the material, it became obvious that I needed more teaching, so I switched to the 2-week residency.

Do you have a strong background in aviation?

Yea I'll probably end up doing the two week residency. I have done some PPL training, got up to 20 hours and had my written done. However, that was about four years ago. I also work for an airline as a ramp agent. I have been doing that for about 7.5 years, and I spend most of my breaks in the operations department as I find it pretty interesting.

It took me a moment to grasp what was being said here. I am one who attended Sheffield and proud that I did even tho I have stated a negative review. I can tell you honestly that Eric is far from a communist - he is very intelligent and liked him when he taught us two weekend workshops. Mr. Morris may not like me for what was said but I think him being called a communist is extremely rude.

I respect the job Sheffield is doing and I hope that Mr. Morris and I can be on good terms again someday.

It took me a moment to grasp what was being said here. I am one who attended Sheffield and proud that I did even tho I have stated a negative review. I can tell you honestly that Eric is far from a communist - he is very intelligent and liked him when he taught us two weekend workshops. Mr. Morris may not like me for what was said but I think him being called a communist is extremely rude.

I respect the job Sheffield is doing and I hope that Mr. Morris and I can be on good terms again someday.

Point well taken!

I didn't mean to insult Mr. Morris, just came out wrong...

Back