Sense of humor...

Should you have a sense of humor to work in aviation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

inwx_dxr

In my opinion... You need a sense of humor to work in aviation in general. It looks like someone has been posting messages who's oblivious to obvious sarcasm. I won't mention who they are though... Safety first! 😏

Please participate in the pointless poll below...

167526633_10165072794450584_127196333856251443_n.jpg

I love to talk down about scheduling to the pilots over ACARS and it makes their day.
We do a lot of planed redispatch. There's one dispatcher who "acknowledges your acknowledgment of redispatch." I once "acknowledged your acknowledgement of our acknowledgement." He wrote back and said sorry. I told him that I've got nothing else to do and can keep going all day.

We do a lot of planed redispatch. There's one dispatcher who "acknowledges your acknowledgment of redispatch." I once "acknowledged your acknowledgement of our acknowledgement." He wrote back and said sorry. I told him that I've got nothing else to do and can keep going all day.
I feel like most people in this profession are sarcastic, but that doesn't come across on a text message. And you have to be careful because you don't know if the person on the other end is one of the few who aren't.

I try to include some humor in my messages back to dispatch, but I think sometimes it's a little lost over ACARS.
I love when pilots joke around and have personality or humor. One thing I kind of miss about regionals is they were a little more like that. I definitely have tried to be humorous at times too but sometimes it does get lost over ACARS or I get no reply and I’m like… oops?

I love when pilots joke around and have personality or humor. One thing I kind of miss about regionals is they were a little more like that. I definitely have tried to be humorous at times too but sometimes it does get lost over ACARS or I get no reply and I’m like… oops?
The nice thing about regional is that you get to know your pilots. You're more likely to know who likes to cut up and who would take you too seriously. (and who you wouldn't fly with if your life depended on it lol)

Humour over ACARS is something you need to be careful with. If the person on the other side is not someone you know, you might end up in a meeting with HR or your manager. ACARS messages are viewable by a wide range of people and are part of every accident investigation. Not everyone is going to get your jokes and it could come across as lacking in professionalism.

As dispatchers, workload is always something that we want addressed and kept at a manageable level. If you are send too many non pertinent messages over ACARS, you dont look very busy. It sends a message to pilots that we are not very busy. When you are having multiple flights diverting, the last thing you want are more messages piling on top from crew just wanting to chat.

Pilots have and probably will again in the future report dispatchers to the Feds for not responding to non-pertinent messages when busy. Pilots overall do not understand how many flights dispatchers are dealing with or how busy it can get on a dispatch desk.

I was jumpseating back to work one time and the dispatcher sent quite a few messages trying to be funny. The crews response to me was that if dispatchers have that much free time then we should all be sending messages like this.

I feel like most people in this profession are sarcastic, but that doesn't come across on a text message. And you have to be careful because you don't know if the person on the other end is one of the few who aren't.

I’ve definitely found that some cultures don’t understand sarcasm. They were loading a Lamborghini on our plane in NRT and I told them to be careful with my car. The ground rep was shocked that I could bring my car to work. I’m reasonably sure that if I asked for the keys he would have gotten them for me.

Back