Sea Tac Cafe Refuses to serve TSA Agents

What a bunch of jerks this restaurant is. No different than those who spit on US troops returning from Vietnam, instead of taking it out on the idiot politicians who put them there.

Ive never had ANY problem with an individual TSA agent. And the individual agent isn't responsible for the idiocy of the agency and its policies.

I hope that cafe loses business for its outright discrimination, which is what this is. Id love to see one of the agents who's a minority sue the place for racial discrimination.

What a bunch of jerks this restaurant is. No different than those who spit on US troops returning from Vietnam, instead of taking it out on the idiot politicians who put them there.

Ive never had ANY problem with an individual TSA agent. And the individual agent isn't responsible for the idiocy of the agency and its policies.

I hope that cafe loses business for its outright discrimination, which is what this is. Id love to see one of the agents who's a minority sue the place for racial discrimination.

I have dealt with agents on a power trip. That's all I'll say.

Except from article: "It'd be more meaningful to ban TSA Administrator John S. Pistole, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, or any of the politicians who make the rules that the working-class agents have to follow".

ALSO (according to the article):

The restaurant is perfectly within its rights to refuse to serve TSA agents. Protected classes in the U.S. and Washington state don't include specific professions, and a private business can refuse to serve almost anyone it wants.

Kind of lame... But, to compare refusal to service the TSA (when I imagine there other restaurants to grab food or coffee) to a Vietnam era soldier being spit on, seems way over the top and quite disrespectful...

Kind of lame... But, to compare refusal to service the TSA (when I imagine there other restaurants to grab food or coffee) to a Vietnam era soldier being spit on, seems way over the top and quite disrespectful...

It is disrespectful to punish the rank and file for the idiotic actions of their bureaucratic leaders.

Except from article: "It'd be more meaningful to ban TSA Administrator John S. Pistole, U.S. Department of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, or any of the politicians who make the rules that the working-class agents have to follow".

ALSO (according to the article):

The restaurant is perfectly within its rights to refuse to serve TSA agents. Protected classes in the U.S. and Washington state don't include specific professions, and a private business can refuse to serve almost anyone it wants.

As I said......let one who is a minority sue that place, TSA agent or not.

I have dealt with agents on a power trip. That's all I'll say.

Oh Im sure there are bad apples out there.....EVERY organization has them. Ive just never run into any yet.........luck, I guess. Still, the existance of bad apples doesn't justify a decision to refuse service to an entire organization. And I hope this place suffers some consequences.

From the article:

"My boss flies quite a bit, and he has an amazing ability to remember faces. If he sees a TSA agent come in, we turn our backs and completely ignore them, and tell them to leave.

Their kind aren't welcomed in our establishment."

Wow........spoken just like a KKK member in the south in the 1950s.

I'm OK with this restaurant. There aren't exactly a lot of ways "we" as individuals can fight and or express our dislike for the TSA. We can't exactly just vote for them to stop growing at an alarming rate, Or fire the head of the TSA....

In fact, i don't know one way "I" as an individual could boycott the TSA's overwhelming power.

This owner found a creative way to stick it to the man and got some publicity out of the deal. Let him have it.

I'm OK with this restaurant. There aren't exactly a lot of ways "we" as individuals can fight and or express our dislike for the TSA. We can't exactly just vote for them to stop growing at an alarming rate, Or fire the head of the TSA....

In fact, i don't know one way "I" as an individual could boycott the TSA's overwhelming power.

This owner found a creative way to stick it to the man and got some publicity out of the deal. Let him have it.

Awesome. The troops should be accountable for the idiot policies that their bureaucratic superiors come up with. Hell, lets broadbrush everyone then.

This idiot isn't "sticking it to the man". If he was, he wouldn't be discriminating in such a broad manner............not unlike the 1950s south.

The KKK would be proud of him.

As I said, read the below, and substitute blacks in the south. The principle of it is the same.....likely with the same uneducated backwater hick southern accent too:

"If he sees a TSA agent come in, we turn our backs and completely ignore them, and tell them to leave.
Their kind aren't welcomed in our establishment."

Discrimination isnt the way to "fight the man", as "the man" isnt the individual rank and file agent. "The Man" is the TSA senior leadership to include the DHS, who come up with the asinine rules and regulations that the rank and file are forced to follow. Want to go after "The Man"? Then use your elected representatives to do so. Thats what they're there for. I can't stand TSA policies either, but I DO NOT take out my dislike of the entire agency's policies on the individual agent. Thats pretty unprofessional in so many ways. Especially how its being done with this idiot restaurant owner........as I said, he'd do well in 1950s Mississippi. Am waiting for the first TSA agent who's a minority to file suit.

Lets play a hypothetical here: Lets say that this guy owning the restaurant was a non-union type....say a Skywest pilot who owned the place on the side. And one day he gets completely sick of the ALPA drives trying to get the union on property at Skywest. So he proclaims that ALPA pilots/members are no longer welcome in his restaurant and will be kicked out. I GUARANTEE there'd be holy hell proclaimed on this very board here at JC regarding discrimination.

Spitting on the soldier, figuratively speaking, isn't "fighting the political Man" in any way. And letting one's rightful dislike of the TSAs policies, cause them to justify discrimination, also isn't right in any way.

Jesus MikeD, I can see you feel very strongly about this issue. Enough to rant/edit....

I just don't feel that the owners actions are so evil. In fact, I thought they were comical.

So, I'm going to try to quote Homer Simpson. His statement applies to many situations.

Homer - "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

I'm glad you display your high moral character. I admire that. But others in society have a RIGHT to peacefully act in a less than gentlemanly manner. If not, we might be in lybia.

Let the guy have his 15min.

Probably has more to do with getting any publicity than strong feelings towards the TSA.

On a side note, I have noticed that TSA has been 10 times more polite and respectful in the past few months.

While the business owner might be within their rights, I'm sure they lease the space from the airport - who might have a problem with this.

Arsehole move, but that's the beauty of living in a free country with a free market.

They're welcome to make such a policy, and the public is welcome to patronize or not patronize their business based on how they feel about that policy.

Back