Reflections

bc2209

I sit here now with 200 and some odd hours on the verge of obtaining my license to teach. I've started to look back on some of the stuff and experiences along the way through this past year.

My first flight I was pretty terrified due to the the GPS traffic system going off, over and over. I really didn't have a grasp on how close, too close was for airplanes. Also it didn't help that my instructor was brand new, and brand new to the area. It's always a little hair raiser when that thing goes off but thank god for it! Great tool.

Also, while going through private training I started to get the hang of things and although still anxious and a bit nervous in the air at times it was all coming together. However, I was scared s-less of power-on stalls. The fact that we were pitching up to such a high attitude and angle of attack trying to purposefully stall an airplane was crazy talk to me. I think it had to do with being a little afraid of heights as well. I would always get that, "standing on the top deck of a parking garage and looking over with the wind blowing" feeling.

So here I am flying to teaching (practicing) and most fears have been diminished. I have become extremely confident and competent. I'm always on the lookout for traffic, as that is a big one for me. I also get a little uneasy at times on upwind or while being low over the city. I am grateful for my training as I feel I could be able to handle an emergency in a calm non panicky fashion and be able to fall back on what I've learned. Knock on wood.

Also, I always keep that little saying, "complacency kills", in the back of my mind. I am starting to see how easy and comfortable flying can get as time goes on. Good to check yourself every once in a while.

Anyone have any yesteryear stories or reflections as to where you started and where you are now? Or anything you messed up as a low time pilot and remember?

Just lots of position reports, keep your head on a swivel. The valley is a dangerous place to instruct. Heck we passed a pa-28 in the Embraer, he was 400 feet below us as we were supposed to be descending on base for deer valley, that we couldn't spot till about a mile away. Brought me right back to my instructor days. That being said, your instructing at a great place.

Back