Private Pilot to CFI

Trojan Aviator

Hey Guys,

To be short: I am a Private Pilot and am looking for the most efficient, cost effective way to obtain a CFI and begin building hours. (Loaded questions, I know) I do not want to take on massive debt, yet I do not want to take longer than a year or two to finish up my ratings.

I have been lurking here for quite awhile and before everyone jumps on me, I have used the search function and read multiple threads pertaining to my questions. Problem is, most threads seem to be a few years old, so I am here posting to see if there has been any updates in opinions from those who have gone through the process or currently in the process.

For a little background on me:
-24 year old Private Pilot with 130 Hours (30 XC PIC)
-I have had a passion for aviation ever since I was little and becoming a pilot has always been a dream I have suppressed because of others peoples opinions and influences
-College graduate and worked in various industry sectors, including aviation (Pt. 135 Charter Management and Customer Relations)
- I have found in multiple different jobs that I am not meant to be in an office for the next 50 years of my life.
-Currently just finished a consulting gig and am out of work
-Looking to make the move and dedicate myself to becoming a professional pilot for either airlines or 135
-Based in West Los Angeles
-Went to several different 61 flight schools to get my Private, which took me several years and way too much money (University got in the way). Finished in CMA, rent from Justice Aviation in SMO and fly a buddy's C150 in HHR (only have to pay for fuel :) )

I have done my research on both main accelerated pilot schools (ATP and American Flyers). I applied for Sallie Mae financing for the 90-Day Airline Career Program with ATP Long Beach, but feel that I do not want to take on all that debt and I have read similar sentiments reading this forum.

I have also looked into the Internship at American Flyers. For those unfamiliar, here is the link:http://www.americanflyers.net/about/interndetails2.htm

Has anyone been through this program?

I am not trying to create another ATP vs. AF debate or a AF bashing forum, I am simply reaching out to see who has been through this program.

I really appreciate all the advise and help you guys could provide. I am being completely sincere here and am a young guy trying to make a tough decision in what a feel is a junction point in my career.

Thanks in advance everyone.

V/R,

Trojan Aviator

Step 1 get the money lined up
Step 2 knock out all the written tests
Step 3 do an accelerated program
You could do your instrument in 10 days
Build time do commerical and cfi together I did my commercial ride from the right seat and did my cfi ride next week

I'm kind of in a similar position... But, you might get responses if you repost in the General Topics area.

Best of luck!

Suggestions, Get to 200-220 hrs in your buddies 150, you need total time. Knock out any, and all, IFR XC PIC, and COmmerical experience requirements (check the solo, especially the night requirements). Then hit an accelerated IFR/Commericial/CFI course.. You will want to do the CFII as soon as after the CFI as possible.

It may benefit you to do the ifr now, so you can get more IFR experience.

This will just get you the numbers for CFI/CFII, not necessarily the experience you may seek.

Hey Guys,

To be short: I am a Private Pilot and am looking for the most efficient, cost effective way to obtain a CFI and begin building hours. (Loaded questions, I know) I do not want to take on massive debt, yet I do not want to take longer than a year or two to finish up my ratings.

I have been lurking here for quite awhile and before everyone jumps on me, I have used the search function and read multiple threads pertaining to my questions. Problem is, most threads seem to be a few years old, so I am here posting to see if there has been any updates in opinions from those who have gone through the process or currently in the process.

For a little background on me:
-24 year old Private Pilot with 130 Hours (30 XC PIC)
-I have had a passion for aviation ever since I was little and becoming a pilot has always been a dream I have suppressed because of others peoples opinions and influences
-College graduate and worked in various industry sectors, including aviation (Pt. 135 Charter Management and Customer Relations)
- I have found in multiple different jobs that I am not meant to be in an office for the next 50 years of my life.
-Currently just finished a consulting gig and am out of work
-Looking to make the move and dedicate myself to becoming a professional pilot for either airlines or 135
-Based in West Los Angeles
-Went to several different 61 flight schools to get my Private, which took me several years and way too much money (University got in the way). Finished in CMA, rent from Justice Aviation in SMO and fly a buddy's C150 in HHR (only have to pay for fuel :) )

I have done my research on both main accelerated pilot schools (ATP and American Flyers). I applied for Sallie Mae financing for the 90-Day Airline Career Program with ATP Long Beach, but feel that I do not want to take on all that debt and I have read similar sentiments reading this forum.

I have also looked into the Internship at American Flyers. For those unfamiliar, here is the link:http://www.americanflyers.net/about/interndetails2.htm

Has anyone been through this program?

I am not trying to create another ATP vs. AF debate or a AF bashing forum, I am simply reaching out to see who has been through this program.

I really appreciate all the advise and help you guys could provide. I am being completely sincere here and am a young guy trying to make a tough decision in what a feel is a junction point in my career.

Thanks in advance everyone.

V/R,

Trojan Aviator

Okay Trojan Aviator
If you want to finish it in a year, it's possible.
1. Get the money arranged.
2. Don't go for degrees with colleges( they are ridiculously expensive) or accelerated programs( the quality of training declines- again that's my view as a CFI)
3. Get your knowledge tests done.( they are good for 24 months)
4. Start your flight training with a flight school with remarkable reputation in both training and well maintained fleet.

If you could manage to come to NorCal I could get you done with flight training but I am sure you can find great schools in Los Angeles too.

If I find any info on flight schools, I will pass on.

Back