Port Authority OKs Delta’s fancy new $4B LaGuardia hub

Oxman

For all of you LGA lovers...

Maybe they could have thrown in an arresting cable for the runway. Just saying.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-fancy-new-4b-laguardia-hub-article-1.3343539

ALBANY — A new Delta Air Lines terminal at LaGuardia Airport cleared its final hurdle Thursday.

The Port Authority signed off on a lease agreement with the airline for a new $4 billion, 37-gate facility.

Delta has committed $3.4 billion toward the project while the Port Authority will kick in up to $600 million.

"With this action, we are taking the next major step in our work to build a new LaGuardia — an economic engine and world-class airport worthy of New York,” Gov. Cuomo said.

The Delta work is slated to begin later this summer.

“This is an important step forward for our customers and employees at one of our most important hubs and builds on years of Delta's investment in New York,” said Delta CEO Ed Bastian.

Last edited:
I flew out of the LGA for the first time a couple months ago and was really surprised how nice the terminal was. I don't remember which terminal it was the most "enjoyable" pre-boarding wait I've had.

Can't wait to still be parked at the Blast Fence after $4,000,000,000 is spent.

Do you still plan on working at Endeavor (or whoever else parks over by the blast fence of 31) by the time this is done? ;)

I flew out of the LGA for the first time a couple months ago and was really surprised how nice the terminal was. I don't remember which terminal it was the most "enjoyable" pre-boarding wait I've had.

Must not have been the Delta side, because those terminals are pretty much a dump.

Ya gotta hand it to Delta investing in infrastructure. That move at LAX sucked for our on time (VX) but I'm sure they're gonna polish that turd that is the north side terminals.

Whichever one AAL flies out of

AAL flies out of B and C. If you flew out of B(the old AA terminal) that place is a complete dump. Low, leaky ceilings and just depressing in general.

If you flew out of C (legacy US terminal) it's much nicer since Delta revamped it a few years ago. You flew out of C if you were going to BOS, DCA, CLT, PHL or any of the old LUS regional cities.

AAL flies out of B and C. If you flew out of B(the old AA terminal) that place is a complete dump. Low, leaky ceilings and just depressing in general.

If you flew out of C (legacy US terminal) it's much nicer since Delta revamped it a few years ago. You flew out of C if you were going to BOS, DCA, CLT, PHL or any of the old LUS regional cities.

Yep, C it was. Went to CLT.

LGA's rebuilding plan is pretty ambitious. It boggles my mind that there is still no subway access there. I just... how did that (not) happen?!?

AA's terminal sucks now but should be better once the airport gets redone. I do like how Delta is investing in their infrastructure. Amazing they think ahead. You'd think the others would learn but I guess not.

C is the only decent area of that dump. The rest of it had an apocalyptic feel that smelled like toilets.

LGA's rebuilding plan is pretty ambitious. It boggles my mind that there is still no subway access there. I just... how did that (not) happen?!?

AA's terminal sucks now but should be better once the airport gets redone. I do like how Delta is investing in their infrastructure. Amazing they think ahead. You'd think the others would learn but I guess not.

There access is limited between the airports and to due to cabby unions. They fear if there is better public access then they'll lose work.... Just my .02 though...

Wasn't there a line slated between JFK and LGA that was stopped halfway because cab companies (mob) pulled some strings. Could be someone talking out their ass, but it didn't sound too crazy for that area.

There access is limited between the airports and to due to cabby unions. They fear if there is better public access then they'll lose work.... Just my .02 though...
That's what I heard as well but still just can't wrap my head around how a cab driver union could stop a huge public works project that benefits millions. That would be like ALPA putting Amtrak out of business.

Just read an article about taxi medallions dropping from a peak of $1 mil to around $250k nowadays thanks to Uber and Lyft. My heart weeps.

That's what I heard as well but still just can't wrap my head around how a cab driver union could stop a huge public works project that benefits millions. That would be like ALPA putting Amtrak out of business.

Just read an article about taxi medallions dropping from a peak of $1 mil to around $250k nowadays thanks to Uber and Lyft. My heart weeps.

Ironically I'm to the point at JFK and LGA of using cabs over Uber because 3 times now I've had a driver accept the request only to sit there for 15 min until I cancelled and they'd get the $10 or whatever. It literally took me 45 min once to get an Uber at JFK. A cab ride home for me is $80-100 while Uber is $50. Next time I'll shell out the extra money.

Now if we could just pave over the that cesspool to the south and west, you'd have a pretty nice reliever airport for Philadelphia. Plenty of parking, too.

Ironically I'm to the point at JFK and LGA of using cabs over Uber because 3 times now I've had a driver accept the request only to sit there for 15 min until I cancelled and they'd get the $10 or whatever. It literally took me 45 min once to get an Uber at JFK. A cab ride home for me is $80-100 while Uber is $50. Next time I'll shell out the extra money.

my favorite is when uber/lyft cancel back to back requests after waiting 10-15 minutes for them....

my favorite is when uber/lyft cancel back to back requests after waiting 10-15 minutes for them....

It's so frustrating being behind (or in) a city Uber/lyft on Long Island cause the driver has no idea what to do above 35mph or how to handle curves that aren't 90 degrees. Constantly in the left lane doing 10 under and just oblivious to everyone around them.

Back