Please Give me Advice on Flight Schools

rayray311

Hello All,

I am new to this website and forum. I have been checking out other websites also recently. I have been researching flight schools on and off for the last few years. I am 32yo and do not care for my current career at would like to "love" my job. I have taken random flying lessons over the years and realized I would love to do it for a living.

I am recently married and would like to start a family in the next few years. So for that reason I would like to get into the airlines as fast as possible. I wish I could afford to take 2-5 years and train at a local fbo and not take out a big loan, but I do not have that time. plus I don't want to continue working in a career I do not care for.

I have been looking at 3 schools mainly, all in Florida. ATP in either Daytona or Jacksonville, Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach and Delta Connection Academy in Sanford. I realize that FSA is the most expensive by almost 20k, but it seems to be the best. But to be able to go to ATP or Delta for 20k less is appealing. It seems as though ATP's program is pretty good. Plus you get a lot of multi engine time at ATP. ATP and FSA seem to have a high success rate of new hires in the industry. Delta seems ok too, but I heard their program might be in a bit of trouble.

I am finding it hard to get real advice and opinions when I search on the web because a lot of people are either supporting their school or bashing another. I just need whatever input anyone has for me.

I will be taking out a sallie mae loan for this for the complete cost, if they give it to me. I am currently paying off a remaining 18k from my BS degree still. My wife works as a receptionist and will be most likely getting a job making about 10-12hr to be able to pay our rent which I hope to be only about 600-700 month. It seems as though apts in FL are much cheaper than in Hollywood. I want to get the best education, but also spend the least amount of money if I can. Especially if I will be starting a family a year or so after completing school.

Thanks for anyone who gives feedback

Hey, welcome to JC. You're doing yourself a great service by coming here, asking questions, and doing research. Try the search function and the hot topics area for lots on what you're asking.

I can't answer the flight school question - never been to any of those. And you're right, many people will only support their own school while bashing others. The key is finding the nuggets of truth in all the mess.

Plenty of people will tell you about Delta Connection Academy - just from what I've heard from plenty who have been there you're probably best to take that off the list. I'm sure current/ former students will chime in with relative experience, though.

I'd say be very careful with all the loans. A 60k loan on top of a 18k loan while on 1st/2nd year pay WHILE trying to add mouths to your family seems like a really ambitious, if not un-doable plan. Just research current pay rates and compare them with your loan payments. I personally think loans like this are "the devil," but people make them work. I know you don't want to do this, but consider biting the bullet, saving, and paying cash for your training.

Good luck!

yeah i would love to wait and save but i want to be able to not use a walker at my childrens high school graduation. LOL My wife and I were thinking about setting up shop in my hometown of chicago after i get done if my job allows. that way we can live with the family for a year or two to save on money. We hope.

One other thing is that we have ZERO debt beyond my 18k still in sallie mae loans

I don't think you really need to go to expensive academies and spend a lot of money, you can do it at local fbo's, lots of people have done that and they work for airlines.

Welcome to the dreamer's club! I am 34 and left my nice comfy job back at the end of March to pursue the same goal that you have. I started in April with 0 hours and am now at 140TT and rising. I got the PPL in June, have the IR checkride next week, and will be finished with all of the Commercial licenses by the end of the month. Then on to the instructor ratings.

It can be done, trust me. But, you are going to have to apply yourself like you have never applied yourself if you want to knock everything out within 3-5 months.

I have never been to the schools that you listed, so I cannot speak for them either. However, ATP was my FIRST choice when I decided to pursue this road. Since ATP does not even mess with VA GI BILL benefits, I ruled them out. Although, I only considered going to a school that could meet the speed in which ATP can produce the results, but accepted VA benefits. This was quite a challenge. ATP takes a lot of heat because they are able to get people in and out of there QUICK. If you are already 32yo, and you want to get there the fastest way possible, I personally believe that you are going to have a hard time finding a better program than what they have. Because of your age, (if I am not mistaken) you want to get there as fast as possible so that you can get to the reasonable wages within the next 3 or 4 years. If you go the FBO route, you will definitely save some money on your training, but you might not get all of your ratings quite as quickly (in MOST cases).

I am still learning and drinking milk around here. There is PLENTY of knowledge already out there within this forum. Definitely use the search function to help you in your decision making.

I will tell you that after I finish my ratings, I will be going to ATP to get my instructor licenses so that I can teach there and get some silly...silly I say, ME time.

Good luck and keep everyone informed.

One thing to remember when considering an FBO vs an academy: when you go to an academy that is ALL you do. Most academy's do not have a schedule that will allow you to work even a part time job. If you were to quit your current job and get a part-time job and consider your flight training your full time job, the training CAN be done just as quickly at an FBO. It is just in your hands and motivation to move at a rapid pace.

Also, I know it can be argued, but there are jobs out there that you can do to not instruct. You can get your commercial and tow banners or do pipeline control or something and get hours just as quick as instructing, possibly making more money, and not have to pay for your instructor's licenses. With the low mins at most airlines now, something like this could get you there quicker and cheaper although you will lack the experience instructing brings.

That is all just food for thought. I'm sure others will throw in their $.02.

Chewie,

140tt, PPL, almost IFR and commercial is pretty impressive for four months. I'm assuming you did everything at an FBO. My plan of the day is to do the same thing; ppl, ifr and comm at an FBO and let ATP shotgun me through Multi, CFI, CFII, MEI etc. Were you able to hold any kind of employment in the last four months? If not, could you if you, say had a really easy job that allowed you to get some serious studying done while at work?

I also second the OPs question. I'll eventually be looking into the academys but its hard to find unbiased info.

Thanks for the info.

Chewie,

140tt, PPL, almost IFR and commercial is pretty impressive for four months. I'm assuming you did everything at an FBO. My plan of the day is to do the same thing; ppl, ifr and comm at an FBO and let ATP shotgun me through Multi, CFI, CFII, MEI etc. Were you able to hold any kind of employment in the last four months? If not, could you if you, say had a really easy job that allowed you to get some serious studying done while at work?

I also second the OPs question. I'll eventually be looking into the academys but its hard to find unbiased info.

Thanks for the info.

Yes it is at an FBO.

I have been a full-time student. As far as...could you have a job while doing it in 4 or 5 months.....I cannot answer that question honestly. But, I do have some opinions on it:

It all depends on how bad you want it. Although I didn't do it, but if I decided to have a part-time job while doing it...I would probably have to find some type of way to psych myself completely out.

There are so many new things that require so much attention, and there are many bad days. Also, you have to consider that the flight schools are mostly short staffed with CFIs and you are also competing for airplanes and dedicated CFI time. Plus, I am putting in an average of 5 hours of study per day, and have been for the past couple of months. The problem with studying is that since I am going through the information so fast, there is a definite lag in committing the information learned from short-term memory to long-term memory.

So, I believe that the question comes down to a quality of life issue. If you are dedicated to committing yourself fully to getting in and getting out fast...then, I personally believe that I would either short change the job or the quickness that I am going through the information and learning. Of course, I am giving 100% my opinion.

If you really have to work at the same time, then I am certain that it can be done. You are going to have to find some people out in the world that are pulling this off, and emulating their mindset in order to successfully go through the FAA licenses fast, and be able to keep from getting fired from a job that you are using while you are getting through the licenses.

I might get 2 or 3 hours of TV time, or personal time per day. And, I am checking this forum periodically throughout the day, in addition to when I am watching TV at night. You would definitely have to sacrifice that for 4-5 months. Can you do it? You have the key to this answer. Only you.

Hope this helps man. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. But, whatever you do....go at it full speed ahead!

thanks man i appreciate ur feedback. its really hard to figure all of this out. i get half of the people saying go to a fbo and the other half saying go to an academy. i want to get into the industry as quick as possible. i am 32 and would like a stable career b4 i am 40. the fbo route isnt something i have looked into that much because i dont even know where to start. i like the outline and blue orint that the academies lay out for u. i know exactly what i am going to go through and get it done.

Hi Rayray,

I was in your same position early this spring. I had committed to quitting my job and going after this flight thing at full force. I had three different academies send me their information packets, digested all the info and then put in some serious phone time. I called each potential school and asked a set list of questions to each.

I am currently about 30 hours into my PPL training here at a local FBO and will be sending my deposit to ATP in about a month. The speed at which you can finish and the potential for a huge amount of multi-engine time teaching for them really appealed to me. Now it’s time to try and drum up some family money before taking out the loan. Either that or get busy winning an online poker tournament :)

Take care and see you in the skys soon!

You're about to take on a huge task - but if your heart is in it it will be a labor of love. Make sure your wife understands the situation and is supportive, it does help!

I'm about two weeks into it, and I'll tell you that if you put your mind and heart into it you won't be able to beat the speed and constant flying experience you'll get. On the other hand, if you can train full time at a local FBO and still get your CFI/II, then you will also be putting in a lot of time quickly. I think that one of the huge advantages to the academy route is that you are almost forced into the whole lifestyle of people going through the same thing.

Wishing you the best - and keep all of us informed!

i appreciate all the feedback i am getting fro here. i want to be able to go visit some fbo's this weekend. does anyone know if i should just drive to my local airport and walk up to schools, or call ahead? i still think im going to go with ATP afte all my research because i want to get into a career ASAP because i want to start a family in the next few years and want to get to stability ASAP. i was going to drive to my local airport which is "santa monica airport" for a start.

It never hurts to call and just make sure someone will be there but you don't have to. If no one is there then at least you get to hang out at the airport for a few minutes!!!!!

I don't know anything about Santa Monica or what FBO's/schools are there, just drive down and ask someone. You will find most people at airports are pretty nice and helpful!

When you're asking around, let them know you are career minded and want to know if there is any reason you couldn't fly every day. Instructor availablity. Twin availability. ATP's big draw is the ability to fly a lot and get a lot of twin time, but it comes at a price. In some situations you can do the same thing at a smaller school and save some money.

If you're previous "research" is mostly on line, you need to check out some schools in person (which you are doing), to include the ATP locations in the area.

SMO is a cool airport to fly out of. Scenic, has a tower but not too busy, lots of busy airspace nearby for the experience, and some IFR due to fog.

Back