Planes crash...(Butte, MT PC-12)

Stone Cold

CNN International is reporting an (possibly FedEx) airplane on fire in Japan, and at least 17 confirmed killed in Butte, MT. in separate accidents. This is all subject to the news being idiots, of course...

RIP. Stay safe out there.

Just curious, who flies routes with SLF into Montana?

Re: Planes crash...

The Montana crash looks like a PC12 (N128CM) of Eagle Cap Leasing Inc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29828359/

BUTTE, Mont. - A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman says 17 people are dead after a plane crashed while approaching the airport in Butte.

Spokesman Mike Fergus says the single engine turboprop plane departed from Orville, Calif., at about 11 a.m. Pacific time. The pilot had filed a flight plan showing a final destination of Bozeman.

Fergus says the pilot canceled his flight plan at some point and headed for Butte. The plane crashed about 500 feet from the airport while attempting to land and caught fire.

Fergus says there are no known fatalities on the ground. He says preliminary reports indicate the dead include numerous children.

Fergus says the plane was registered to Eagle Cap Leasing Inc. in Enterprise, Oregon, but he doesn't know who was operating the plane.

Calls to local authorities were not immediately returned.

The Montana Standard reported on its Web site that the plane crashed in the Holy Cross Cemetery, just south of the airport. An eyewitness told the Standard that the plane was doing steep angle turns and then went into a nose dive.

"All of a sudden the pilot lost control and went into a nosedive," Kenny Gulick, 14, told the news organization. "He couldn't pull out in time and crashed into the trees of the cemetery," Gulick said.

They have video of the Fed Ex plane crash. porpoised on the runway (MD-11, I believe), and left wing tip dug in. Total loss of hull. They do not know the status of the crew. It's a very scary video they have!!!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N128CM

<table width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="2"><tbody><tr class="secondaryHeader"><th>Date</th> <th>Type</th> <th>Origin</th> <th>Destination</th> <th>Departure</th> <th>Arrival</th> <th>Duration</th> </tr> <tr class="smallActiverow1" style="background-color: rgb(250, 224, 81);" onclick="location.href='/live/flight/N128CM/history/20090322/1840Z/KOVE/KBTM';" onmouseover="this.className='smallActiverow1Hover';" onmouseout="this.className='smallActiverow1';"> <td nowrap="nowrap">22-Mar-2009 </td> <td>PC12/G</td> <td>Oroville Muni (KOVE)</td> <td>Bert Mooney (KBTM)</td> <td>11:10AM PDT</td> <td>02:36PM MDT</td> <td>2:26</td> </tr> <tr class="smallActiverow2" onclick="location.href='/live/flight/N128CM/history/20090322/1840Z/KOVE/KBZN';" onmouseover="this.className='smallActiverow2Hover';" onmouseout="this.className='smallActiverow2';"> <td nowrap="nowrap">22-Mar-2009 </td> <td>PC12/G</td> <td>Oroville Muni (KOVE)</td> <td>Gallatin Field (KBZN)</td> <td>11:10AM PDT</td> <td>
</td> <td>Diverted</td></tr></tbody></table>

Who puts 17 people on a PC-12? I heard on another forum that it might have been kids on a ski vacation. Lord, I hope nobody is stupid enough to do that?! How many seats on a PC-12? 7 or 8, right, plus crew???

Who puts 17 people on a PC-12? I heard on another forum that it might have been kids on a ski vacation. Lord, I hope nobody is stupid enough to do that?! How many seats on a PC-12? 7 or 8, right, plus crew???

That's how I understood it. No CVR/FDR on those airplanes. Type Certified for 12 people.

RIP to all involved.

May God be with you and your families.

Typical PC-12 is 6 pax seats plus 2 crew, or it can be configured for 8 pax seats. No CVR or FDR on board.

Maximum of 9 passenger seats in the PC-12, not counting the co-pilots seat.

RIP to everyone today..........the news is reporting now that the FedEx crew did not survive.

Maximum of 9 passenger seats in the PC-12, not counting the co-pilots seat.

RIP to everyone today..........the news is reporting now that the FedEx crew did not survive.

Isn't it 10 total by FAA rules? I ask because I thought the Caravan could seat 14, but the US configuration was 10 total seats.

What are the CG limits at MTOW? What is the station of the fuel?

Isn't it 10 total by FAA rules? I ask because I thought the Caravan could seat 14, but the US configuration was 10 total seats.

What are the CG limits at MTOW? What is the station of the fuel?

Yeah I think you are right, they count the co-pilots seat as a passenger seat since only one crew is required....my bad.

The fuel is right on the CG, changes very little over flight, and it has a wide CG range. But, fuel for that flight plus 17 pax would have put that airplane over MTOW.

The pilot in the Pilatus (or the FSS briefer) probally accidently hit 17 passengers instead of 7 when he filed his flight plan. I don't think there is enough volume in the Pilatus for 17 people and bags for a ski trip.

Alex.

************************************************ NTSB ADVISORY
National Transportation Safety Board
Washington, DC 20594

March 22, 2009

NTSB GO TEAM HEADING TO MONTANA
TO INVESTIGATE PLANE CRASH

The National Transportation Safety Board has dispatched a Go
Team to investigate an airplane crash in Butte, Montana.

At approximately 3:00 pm MDT a Pilatus PC-12/45 (N128CM)
crashed into Holy Cross Cemetery on approach to Bert Mooney
Airport in Butte, Montana. Multiple fatalities have been
reported.

NTSB Senior Air Safety Investigator Dennis Hogenson is the
Investigator-in-Charge for the team of approximately 7
investigators. NTSB Acting Chairman Mark V. Rosenker is
accompanying the team and will serve as principal spokesman
for the on-scene investigation. Keith Holloway is the
team's press officer.

The Go Team is expected to arrive in Butte late tonight. At
that time, Mr.Holloway may be reached on his cell phone at
< redacted >.

17 in this thing...Can't be right....

128cm.jpg

pilatus site.....

can be configured for 6-9 pax seats.

They have video of the Fed Ex plane crash. porpoised on the runway (MD-11, I believe), and left wing tip dug in. Total loss of hull. They do not know the status of the crew. It's a very scary video they have!!!

Just saw the video they have. Definitely scary and awful to see.

RIP

How sad to have 2 fatal crashes in 1 day. Is it me or does it seem like there's been quite a few crashes this year? Prayers to the families who lost loved ones.

Back