Plane from Scottsdale, AZ crashes enroute Telluride

Family of 4 :(

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ide-scottsdale-crashes-north-payson/96107876/

Two adults and two girls were killed after a small plane bound for Telluride, Colo., from Scottsdale crashed near Payson, authorities said.

The Cessna 210 crashed with four people onboard, a 31-year-old woman; her 44-year-old husband; and the husband's 12- and 14-year-old daughters from a previous marriage, according to a Scottsdale police report.

The Gila County Sheriff's Office received a call about 9:48 p.m. Monday from the Scottsdale Police Department saying a plane flying from Scottsdale to Telluride was reported overdue and never made it to Colorado, according to Sarah White, chief administrative officer for the sheriff's office.

The family was reported missing by the woman's father about 9:30 p.m. He told Scottsdale police that he was deeply concerned, saying they took the trip every year and always texted or called him when they got in safe, the report said. The father said he texted and called all the family members and heard nothing, police reported.

The man said he was unsure whether they flew the plane or took a car. But the daughters' birth mother later confirmed they took the plane, saying that she received a Snapchat from one of her daughters when they were taking off, according to the police report.

Police reached out to a variety of different airports and learned that the plane had not landed anywhere, the report said.

Deputies, with help from the Arizona Department of Public Safety's Ranger helicopter and the Air Force Civil Air Patrol, pinged a cellphone and located the plane northwest of Washington Park, an area near the city, White said.

The plane crashed under unknown circumstances about 14 miles north of Payson, according to Ian Gregor, a Federal Aviation Administration spokesman.

Three of the passengers initially were found, and deputies later located the fourth body, White said.

The names of those killed were not immediately released.

The crash will be investigated by the Sheriff's Office, the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board.

Tragic for everyone, especially the ex-spouse whose 2 daughters were aboard.

Ironically also occurring from the PHX metro area; this one eerily reminds me of the Delta FA whose 3 kids were killed in 2011 when her ex-husband came to pick them up at KFFZ to take them back to KSAD for the Thanksgiving weekend. Night VFR departure from FFZ after picking up the kids from the ex-spouse, eastbound climbout under the PHX Class B shelf on a clear low-illum night towards the Superstition Mountains direct to SAD, and ended up with the below, killing the 3 kids, the ex-husband and 2 of his friends/coworkers aboard the 690A Commander.

Was very little left of the scene from what we saw, along with MCSO units. Also ironic is this is the exact same place, about 200 yards to the left of that impact area where a USAF T-6 Texan from Williams AFB that crashed at night in 1947, and 100 feet higher above the burning wreckage is the wreck of a USAF T-38 Talon from Williams AFB that crashed at night in 1971 while doing a VFR pattern breakout during a night solo mission. Both also being fatal accidents.

arizona-fire.jpg

Ironically also occurring from the PHX metro area; this one eerily reminds me of the Delta FA whose 3 kids were killed in 2011 when her ex-husband came to pick them up at KFFZ to take them back to KSAD for the Thanksgiving weekend. Night VFR departure from FFZ after picking up the kids from the ex-spouse, eastbound climbout under the PHX Class B shelf on a clear low-illum night towards the Superstition Mountains direct to SAD, and ended up with the below, killing the 3 kids, the ex-husband and 2 of his friends/coworkers aboard the 690A Commander.

Was very little left of the scene from what we saw, along with MCSO units. Also ironic is this is the exact same place, about 200 yards to the left of that impact area where a USAF T-6 Texan from Williams AFB that crashed at night in 1947, and 100 feet higher above the burning wreckage is the wreck of a USAF T-38 Talon from Williams AFB that crashed at night in 1971 while doing a VFR pattern breakout during a night solo mission. Both also being fatal accidents.

arizona-fire.jpg
Life always ends.

The damned shame is that, often, it does so long before it needs to ...

Requiscat in pace

arizona-fire.jpg

I was working albeit on the other side of the Valley the night of the crash in the Superstitions and a few friends of mine were on the initial response for the accident,ironically enough this past summer I met the FA you are talking about and had a pretty nice chat with her. I can't even imagine what she has been through,but she's definitely trying to keep her head up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arizona-fire.jpg
I remember that night. We were doing pattern work and they took off right in front of us. The tower spotted the fire and we actually flew overhead to see what it was. One of the most surreal things I've ever seen.

I hope these latest accidents aren't going to be a string of guys that are not really proficient, and taking their families up in planes or conditions they can't handle.

RIP to the family

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...s-killed-plane-crashes-ariz-article-1.2934156

article-lvplane-104.jpg

A Scottsdale, Ariz. attorney and his family — a wife and two daughters — died after their plane, crashed on Monday.

The craft was piloted by Eric Falbe, 44, an Arizona-based lawyer. His wife, Carrie Falbe, 31, and the pilot’s two daughters from a previous marriage, Victoria, 14, and Skylar, 12, also perished.

Falbe’s plane was a Cessna 210, which crashed in a wooded area northwest of Payson, Ariz. USA Today reports.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety’s Ranger helicopter and the Air Force Civil Air Patrol pinged a cellphone and ultimately located the plane. The helicopter search began at around 2 a.m. and the downed plane was discovered at 4:50 a.m.

Last edited:
RIP to the pax. Looks like the weather sucked; let the speculatin' begin:

ARCHIVED METAR OF: 20170102 // FROM: 0 TO: 0 UTC AIRPORTS REQUESTED: KPAN
KPAN 020015Z
AUTO VRB06KT 1/4SM -DZ OVC003 04/04 A2986 RMK AO2
KPAN 020035Z
AUTO 19007KT 140V220 4SM BR OVC003 04/03 A2986 RMK AO2
KPAN 020055Z
AUTO VRB04KT 9SM OVC003 04/03 A2987 RMK AO2

(from: http://aviationwxchartsarchive.com/product/metar)

And, from the FAA:
Medical
Medical Class: Third, Medical Date: 4/2015
Certificates
PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 7/1/2010
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT Print
Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

Limits:
ENGLISH PROFICIENT.

I remember that night. We were doing pattern work and they took off right in front of us. The tower spotted the fire and we actually flew overhead to see what it was. One of the most surreal things I've ever seen.

I hope these latest accidents aren't going to be a string of guys that are not really proficient, and taking their families up in planes or conditions they can't handle.

The social scientist in me is curious if GA accidents like this aren't correlated with the improved economy. Perhaps more doctors, lawyers, etc. investing in higher performance aircraft than would have in the years of/immediately following the recession? Interesting research question anyways.

I'd like to ask something because I honestly don't know. This is now the third case recently in which a pilot, a spouse, and kids from a previous marriage have perished. My question is, in divorce proceedings, can one demand that the kids not be allowed in a GA plane without both biological parent permission? Does that happen / can it happen? I would hate to be the surviving parent who just found out all kids perished because the ex-spouse went flying with the new spouse and then he/she crashed.

Last edited:
I'd like to ask something because I honestly don't know. This is now the third case recently in which a pilot, a spouse, and kids from a previous marriage have perished. My question is, in divorce proceedings, can one demand that the kids not be allowed in a GA plane without both biological parent permission? Does that happen / can it happen? I would hate to be the surviving parent who just found out all kids perished because the ex-spouse went flying with the new spouse and then he/she crashed.

Whatever is in the divorce decree goes. If the ex pushes for it and gets it.

The METAR right there is a no-go for a private, I wonder what went through his mind when loading his prettty wife and kids... I wonder why we spend so much time as CFIs trying to make understand weather minimums when this kind of tragedy happens...

Back